Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 7th January 2016, 23:09   #1
BHPian

Default Square setup on a BMW 530d?

Hi guys, I'm planning to book a F10 530d M Sport in a month's time. Ordering a set of 19" rotary forged wheels so looking for some tires advice. The car comes with 245/45/18 front and 275/35/18 rear but since I'm upgrading to 19" I'm considering of going in for a square 265/40/19 setup. (OEM M5 front tires)

Is this setup recommended? What would be the effect on handling?

245/40/19 and 275/35/19 is easily available but it'd be a too low profile for Bombay roads and might result it harsh ride and steering vibrations (issues I'm facing with my F30 in Mumbai).
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 13:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Square setup on a BMW 530d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Ordering a set of 19" rotary forged wheels so looking for some tires advice.
Don't go for 19s. As mentioned in my review, even the 18s are overkill for Indian roads. They just about make do, but with 19s:

- Your ride quality will seriously suffer.

- Possibility of tyre damage is very high. That's not a pretty sight when the tyres on this beast cost 30 - 40k each!

- Possibility of bent / damaged wheels is very high.

Quote:
The car comes with 245/45/18 front and 275/35/18 rear
It's 275/40 R18 at the rear.

Quote:
I'm considering of going in for a square 265/40/19 setup. (OEM M5 front tires)
The clearance with 245s is already slim. I'd be worried about 265s at the front scraping. The regular F10 & M5 aren't identical cars (e.g. M5's wheelbase is shorter).

Quote:
Is this setup recommended? What would be the effect on handling?
Since you are buying a new 530d, let me tell you this: Get the extended warranty instead. I was categorically told by BMW / Navnit that my warranty won't be affected as long as I keep the tyre size the same (in response to a query on moving from runflat -> regular tyres).

If & when you go square in the future, 245/45 R18s all around would be a good idea (as our test 525d had). But you'll experience more slipping & sliding from the rear. Even the current 275s give away when the magic pedal is floored.

My suggestion = stick with the stock size. The wheels are already huge and the tyres are already f-a-t. The staggered setup improves her stance.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2016 at 13:48.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 14:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't go for 19s. As mentioned in my review, even the 18s are overkill for Indian roads. They just about make do, but with 19s:
Thanks for the detailed reply Will surely be getting extended warranty / BMW Repair package and already discussed with Navnit for including them in the deal that I have been discussing with them. And the reason for going square was to make the car a bit more oversteery but you rightly pointed out the rubbing issue with 265 which I didn't consider.

Guess I should stick to the staggered setup then because with 245 all over I should be prepared to expect lots of traction issues during acceleration. Also, just want to know from you wont the Rotary forged wheels (wheels I'm considering are TSW Geneva and Rohana RF2) be a bit stronger and lighter then OEM wheels? Forged wheels certainly are but don't know much about rotary forged ones. I kind of don't like the super simple design of the stock 530d wheels much, that was the reason I was planning to upgrade and since anyway I'll be changing from RFTs to tubeless I thought of going a size up. How about going in for 255/40/19 all over? or 255/40/19 Front and 265/40/19 with 19x8.5J and 19x9.5J rims? ANY adverse effect of this on handling or possible steering vibrations? Under these scenario I'll be losing just about 8mm of sidewall and tires seem to be available? I'll be keeping this car for atleast three years and also have plans to lower it using KW Street comfort after using it for an year or so...

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 14:54. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, just want to know from you wont the Rotary forged wheels (wheels I'm considering are TSW Geneva and Rohana RF2) be a bit stronger and lighter then OEM wheels? Forged wheels certainly are but don't know much about roatry forged ones...
Since you are upsizing the wheels, do consider the extra weight of rubber and plus size wheels (18" to 19")
kpzen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 14:57   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And the reason for going square was to make the car a bit more oversteery but you rightly pointed out the rubbing issue with 265 which I didn't consider.
Switch the ESP off. You'll get all the oversteer you want.

Quote:
Also, just want to know from you wont the Rotary forged wheels (wheels I'm considering are TSW Geneva and Rohana RF2) be a bit stronger and lighter then OEM wheels?
No premium wheels are designed for the kind of usage they'll see in India. Again, you're looking at a high possibility of rim damage from 19s. Don't overdo it.

Quote:
I'll be keeping this car for atleast three years and also have plans to lower it using KW Street comfort after using it for an year or so...
You're honestly looking at messing with a fine package. Why not do all this once the car is old? Right now, enjoy it in stock form. Even a modification-friendly guy like me sees nothing missing on the 530d.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote