Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 27th October 2006, 14:16   #16
BHPian

Update on my end:

Since I dont want to change my driving habits and be careful while going over a pothole, I decided to stick to the tubed stock ones (S322 145/70 R13). Also, the car is used mostly inside the city, and rarely driven over 60 Kmph. Thanks to the discussions on t-bhp, insisted on tyres manufactured in october and got them. Also got wheel balancing and aligment done.

Car drives much better, steering feels much better connected. Should have changed the tyres earlier.

However, one thing I noticed is that the tyre noise has increased a little bit. Did anyone else also observe this?
Su-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 14:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Tyre noise yes on changing the tyres me too found it higher.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 15:29   #18
BHPian

A bit off topic: Has anyone got a discount from the tyre dealer if there is little bit of life left in the tyres that you leave back at their place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
For under-powered car like Matiz, with no power-steering -- don't upsize, but if you must, should have gone for tubeless and alloys -- the reduction in weight due to alloys and tubeless would have compensated for the upsize and would have given you much better handling.
With new tyres, I feel that my steering is lighter than what it was earlier. Could it be that newer tyres are lighter than earlier ones? Technological evolution over 5 short years!! Or, is it the placebo effect and I am feeling good because I have new tyres .

Last edited by adya33 : 28th October 2006 at 11:35.
Su-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:34   #19
BHPian

Update:

Finally bought! Opted for Goodyear GT3 (155/65 R13) and SM (Speed Modification) alloys. Total cost for 4 tyres+alloys+alignment+balancing was 20K (paid by credit card, and inclusive of cc charges)

The only thing clearly perceivable is that the streering is much lighter, and the car seems to roll more easily on the road. Cushioning has not improved (i guess cos of aspect ratio coming down from 70% to 65%). Grip levels, i could not perceive much on the Mumbai roads, need to hit the Expressway for that.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:00   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
With new tyres, I feel that my steering is lighter than what it was earlier. Could it be that newer tyres are lighter than earlier ones? Technological evolution over 5 short years!! Or, is it the placebo effect and I am feeling good because I have new tyres .
Normally with new tyres (of same stock size) you would feel the steering slightly heavier as compared to the old worn-out tyres because the new tyres will have more tread and more grip. It is possible, as you say, that tyres of different brands may have minor differences in weight and maybe rolling friction has also been reduced by more modern technology. Another factor to be considered is the process of running in the tyres -- new tyres will initially not grip too well, and will attain full grip only after running in for about 300 kms or so. So you may feel some difference in how the steering feels after the running-in period. The tyre pressures also matter --high pressures will make the steering feel lighter.

In my case after shifting to new tubeless tyres my steering does feel a little tighter, but this is desirable because I have power steering -- my Santro now moves more steadily at high speeds, and I don't find the need to correct course as often as I did earlier.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote