Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 22nd September 2006, 11:15   #1

I have a Getz GLE, standard tyre specifications of which are 155/80/R13
I am contemplating alloys for the same and was wondering if alloy wheels sold by Hyundai "genuine accessories" for the Getz are compatible across varying models of the Getz?

The reason I'm asking a basic question as this is because the other two versions of the Getz i.e GVS and GLS have different tyre specifications of 175/70/R13.

Are the hyundai "genuine accessory"alloy wheel compatible with both the GLE & GLS models? Wont different tyre sizes matter for the same alloy wheels?(155mm vs 175mm) If so, will I need to change my tyres?

The dealer says that Hyundai supplies only one size of alloy wheels for the Getz, hence the confusion.
Sailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:00   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Genuine accesory alloys are NEO alloys i think. Amongst the tyres you've mention there is no change in the RIM size both the sizes are 13" so you can go ahead and put on the Genuine accessory rims there wont be any problems. You would have to change ur tyres if you are upsizing your wheels to say a 14" RIM or 15". Search the forum for a "TYRE SIZE CALCULATOR" it will clear all your problems.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:23   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorboy
I have a Getz GLE, standard tyre specifications of which are 155/80/R13
I am contemplating alloys for the same and was wondering if alloy wheels sold by Hyundai "genuine accessories" for the Getz are compatible across varying models of the Getz?

The reason I'm asking a basic question as this is because the other two versions of the Getz i.e GVS and GLS have different tyre specifications of 175/70/R13.

Are the hyundai "genuine accessory"alloy wheel compatible with both the GLE & GLS models? Wont different tyre sizes matter for the same alloy wheels?(155mm vs 175mm) If so, will I need to change my tyres?

The dealer says that Hyundai supplies only one size of alloy wheels for the Getz, hence the confusion.

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge the top of the line Getz(the one with ABS and alloys) has broader 14" rims and tyres.

If you are intending to put alloys go for any brand design you like(dont worry about warranty. If you have a problem call me) and put broader rubber 195/60/14 either Yokohoma ES100 or Bridgestone G III.

Viper
PS BTW I am using 195/60/14 Yokohoma on my Getz.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 17:26   #4

Ignorance is BLISS!!! These technical issues did not bother me earlier until I visited this site.

My only concern is that the tyre width is different for both the lower end models in the Getz. See below.

GLE: 155/80/R13
GVS/GLS: 175/70/R13
GLX:175/65/R14 (Alloys included)

If hyundai makes only one size of alloy wheels (13 inches) and a particular width I would imagine (The dealer could not confirm the width) will it not be a misfit for the above sizes? I am referring to the widths of the tyres.

I would expect all this to be precision engineering where every mm matters. So my question is that how can 155mm and 165 mm tyres fit the same size of alloy wheel.

Ta
Old 22nd September 2006, 17:30   #5

Hi buddy,

Looks apart, (which I am sure is a killer) How much has the tyre configuration of 195/60/14 affected your ride quality? In Mumbai city conditions and outstation?
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:01   #6

Found this on the net.... Do you know the rim width of standard Hyundai alloys????

A rim that is too narrow in relation to the tyre width will allow the tyre to distort excessively sideways under fast cornering. On the other hand, unduly wide rims on an ordinary car tend to give rather a harsh ride because the sidewalls have not got enough curvature to make them flex over bumps and potholes. That's why there is a range of rim sizes for each tyre size.
Old 24th September 2006, 00:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorboy
Ignorance is BLISS!!! These technical issues did not bother me earlier until I visited this site.

My only concern is that the tyre width is different for both the lower end models in the Getz. See below.

GLE: 155/80/R13
GVS/GLS: 175/70/R13
GLX:175/65/R14 (Alloys included)

If hyundai makes only one size of alloy wheels (13 inches) and a particular width I would imagine (The dealer could not confirm the width) will it not be a misfit for the above sizes? I am referring to the widths of the tyres.

I would expect all this to be precision engineering where every mm matters. So my question is that how can 155mm and 165 mm tyres fit the same size of alloy wheel.

Ta
just take a look above that statement, the GLX comes with 175/65/R14 (Alloys included), that means it is a 14 incher, whereas the other 2 are 13 inch rims. but you can always upgrade to 14", but you will definitely have to change your tyres then.
width upto 195 should not be a problem in Getz, however consult with the dealer before making a decision.
ideally, if you are changing to alloys, get 14" alloys. for the tyres, if you need a sporty look, check out Michelin Pilot Precidas, else there is XM1s. the size should be 185/60/14 or 195/50/14.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 24th September 2006 at 00:16.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 13:27   #8
BHPian

As I was driving today, I hit a stone and there is a big 2cm cut on one of my getz tyre. So I need to change the tyre as I dont think it is safe to repair this one. Now since I need to replace this tyre I am planning to upgrade to alloys on my getz and upgrade to better rubber. And me being a novice in this asking for help on the alloys and the things I need to take care while buying one and ofcourse suggestions on the design and make.
Can some one tell me the pcd for getz (I think it is 100) and should I go for 14" or the 15" one(I think 15'" would void my suspension warranty) and the width i.e 5.5J or 6J. Currently I have 155/80 R13 I guess as the stock ones. Also I would be moving to mumbai from bang in another couple of weeks so should I get the alloys in bang or mumbai ?

Viper , From above post you seem to be running 195/60 R14 Yokohoma's . Any issues with this config and would you recommend the same ? Coz I think it would be the right upsize for me.

Rudra Sir, I really like the rims on your car. Can you please tell me the make and model no if possible for those alloys.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 21:58   #9
BHPian

Hi Malgudi I run 195/60/R14 Yoko ES 100 on my Getz too,it's a perfect upsize as 15 inchers would make ur ride a bit harsh.As for getting the wheels,I'd suggest you pick 'em up form bom as you'd get it at much lower price (depends on where you shop ) try lamington road.If you're unable to trace the right guys / wheels droip me a line and I'll give you directions
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 09:31   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Viper , From above post you seem to be running 195/60 R14 Yokohoma's . Any issues with this config and would you recommend the same ? Coz I think it would be the right upsize for me.

Hi,

Yes I am running those tyres on stock 14" Swift Rims. These are absolutely perfect and have driven on them for a year have clocked approx 13000 kms in them with no issues.

BTW I am selling my car and was considering selling the tyres with rims. Let me know if you interested.(set of 4 with one new tyre). Also see this link if something interests you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...arts-sale.html

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 09:47   #11
BHPian

Here's a pic

WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 16:25   #12

Question hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
for the tyres, if you need a sporty look, check out Michelin Pilot Precidas, else there is XM1s. the size should be 185/60/14 or 195/50/14.
Would 195/50/14 on a Getz give a harsh ride?
Also since its 195 does that mean better road grip ?
Thanks.
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 18:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Is there any shop in Mumbai that sells OEM alloy rims? I am keen on either the NHC VTEC/Anniversary edition rims (Fat Fives), or the rims on the Optra. (BTW, are these 13 or 14 inchers?)

I am looking for a shop in Mumbai that sells these as new, not second hand or refurbished.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

I believe a set of NHC rims are for sale in the Marketplace.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote