Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Best set of tyres? - In India.
Goodyear 72 9.13%
Pirelli 35 4.44%
Michelin 256 32.45%
Bridgestone 232 29.40%
Falkens 7 0.89%
BF Goodrich 12 1.52%
Mrf 35 4.44%
Ceat 3 0.38%
Yokohama 111 14.07%
Dunlop 5 0.63%
JK Tyre 5 0.63%
Apollo Tyres 16 2.03%
Voters: 789. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2009, 15:14   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You assume correctly.

195/60 R14 Yokohama AD07 Advan Neovas.

But i thought 185/60/r14 would be the correct size for the palio 1.6 . Would the 195 fit the OEM alloys , how much difference would the 195 make over 185 in terms of grip and braking ? . Final question , is it true that if you go for wider tyres then we have to sacrifice on the ride quality or ride comfort what ever it is. I'm not an expert here but i would like to know the views of the experts here .

@v1p3r where can i find the neovas in bangalore ?

Last edited by chetan : 2nd January 2009 at 15:16.
Old 11th January 2009, 01:01   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
But i thought 185/60/r14 would be the correct size for the palio 1.6 . Would the 195 fit the OEM alloys , how much difference would the 195 make over 185 in terms of grip and braking ? . Final question , is it true that if you go for wider tyres then we have to sacrifice on the ride quality or ride comfort what ever it is. I'm not an expert here but i would like to know the views of the experts here .

Reg exp with 195/60 R 14.
you can pm "airfoil". He has 195/60 R 14 Potenzas on his palio 1.6 with stock tyres. I understand that fit is not an issue at all...

I believe that since regular palio 1.2 came with 165/80R13 as OEMs the 1.6 should also be able to manage 185/65R14 as a nice upsize (assuming similar body/clearances). I have 185/65R14 Michelin Energy XM1s..but on a Baleno.

However, remember that Potenzas have better grip than XM1s though I personally love the cushy ride of the latter.
best of luck...!
Old 11th January 2009, 04:55   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Palio 1.2 runs 165/80 R14, so the correct upsize will be 195/60 R14 or 185/65 R14. 185/60 R14 is the correct upsize for 175/65 R14, like the OHC Vtec. Anyway, you can interchange between these sizes without any issue. Just make sure all 4 of your tyres are the same size!

Yes, you can fit 195s on the OEM alloys without a problem. 195 will make a noticeable difference, remember thats 10 mm x 4 corners, or 40 mm of rubber extra.

You can find Neovas at any Yokohama dealer.
Old 11th January 2009, 08:33   #589
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Width has nothing to do with grip.

Quote:

Fitting wider tires do nothing to improve grip. Its a misconception that tire companies are feeding on. Please read about friction on the net. Its better to brush up on your 11th class physics text books

Its tire compound and pressure on the interface between road and tire that decides on the quantum of grip.
Friction formula

The Force of Friction

If tire width had anything to do with grip rally drivers would be using formula1 sized tires. Tire width is only to distribute weight and hence increase tire life for a given diameter.
Old 11th January 2009, 08:46   #590

Default Tires for the 1.6 Palio

From limited experience with my GTX I suggest you put on tubeless MRF ZV2K tires which are meant for the Petrol Optra.
The tire size is 185/65R14 which is the wrong upsize but does wonders for your cars cornering ability. Its not as plushy as the Michelins since the MRF has 2ply sidewalls compared to single ply sidewalls of most other brands but more than makes up with extreme grip while cornering compared to the OE Bridgestones. The OE tires are crap anyway. The 2ply sidewalls help in preventing sidewall rupture by stones.

Tyres MRF ZV2K - www.iTyre.com
Old 11th January 2009, 08:48   #591
Senior - BHPian

um,
Wide Tires
Old 13th January 2009, 01:51   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
From limited experience with my GTX I suggest you put on tubeless MRF ZV2K tires which are meant for the Petrol Optra.
The tire size is 185/65R14 which is the wrong upsize but does wonders for your cars cornering ability. Its not as plushy as the Michelins since the MRF has 2ply sidewalls compared to single ply sidewalls of most other brands but more than makes up with extreme grip while cornering compared to the OE Bridgestones. The OE tires are crap anyway. The 2ply sidewalls help in preventing sidewall rupture by stones.

Tyres MRF ZV2K - / Tires / Tyres / Opony / Reifen / Pneu / Llanta - www.iTyre.com
MRFs must only be slightly better than the OE tyres. I'd suggest the Michelins, which you've mentioned as being more comfortable. Michelins are normally pretty stiff sidewalled (I have the MXV8s and they're stiff for comfort tyres) so I can only imagine how hard the MRFs must be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Fitting wider tires do nothing to improve grip. Its a misconception that tire companies are feeding on. Please read about friction on the net. Its better to brush up on your 11th class physics text books

Its tire compound and pressure on the interface between road and tire that decides on the quantum of grip.
Friction formula

The Force of Friction

If tire width had anything to do with grip rally drivers would be using formula1 sized tires. Tire width is only to distribute weight and hence increase tire life for a given diameter.
For a given compound and pressure, a wider tyre will provide more grip than a narrower one. Rally drivers have the fortune of using AWD cars, and also often use a lack of grip as an essential tool -- drifting or powersliding. The very fact that 600+ rwhp F1 cars use ultra-wide tyres, as mentioned by you, should tell you that wider tyres in general offer better grip than narrower tyres.
Old 13th January 2009, 23:28   #593

Quote:
The very fact that 600+ rwhp F1 cars use ultra-wide tyres, as mentioned by you, should tell you that wider tyres in general offer better grip than narrower tyres.
F1 uses the widest tire possible to increase the life of the tire by weight distribution. The tire compound is so soft that if they did not distribute the load the tires would not last even 1 lap.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 2 of 2
Please read the middle of the page regarding fat and thin tires.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:22   #594
BHPian

I voted for Bridgestone as most of the cars I have bought so far - all came with bridgestone OEMs and had never any trouble. I sold Viva after 65K kms on original tyres and had few more K miles worth of tread left.
Indica ran over 50K kms before I passed it on to a tour operator. rest no car crossed these limits.
Currently evaluating JK Elanza on scorpio and Conti on Laura. Santro has bridgestone and I am quite ok -comfy with it.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:46   #595
Team-BHP Support

What is the average weight needed while balancing Indian made tyres?

I just found that one of my Apollo Storm tyre needs 220gms of weight. That much off-balance in a tyre is ridiculous.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:49   #596
BHPian

Quote:
For a given compound and pressure, a wider tyre will provide more grip than a narrower one.
I agree with drpullockaran that wider tyres do not necessarily provide more grip. I just posted something here before I read this post -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1139159 (Filling the right "Pound per square inch (PSI)')

This means there won't be any difference in straightline acceleration or braking distance. However there would be more lateral resistance to sliding at corners.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:53   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
I agree with drpullockaran that wider tyres do not necessarily provide more grip.

This means there won't be any difference in straightline acceleration or braking distance. However there would be more lateral resistance to sliding at corners.
Ok...I'm confused now, Do wider tyres provide more grip or not?
Experience tells me that they do. When I was on stock JK tyres for the swift's 1st week with me(165/ /R14) I was skidding at every turn, oversteering everytime I lifted off the accelerator in a corner.
Now running on 185/75/R14 - no drama in the corners.
is that due to a better contact patch or not?
And I'm hoping when I move up to 195/60/R15, my cornering will improve further. dream or reality?
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:07   #598
BHPian

Folks can anyone referr the Best Tyres for Tata Sierra Turbo... Currently i'm running with Apollo Amazer "215/70 R15".
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:38   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Ok...I'm confused now, Do wider tyres provide more grip or not?
Experience tells me that they do. When I was on stock JK tyres for the swift's 1st week with me(165/ /R14) I was skidding at every turn, oversteering everytime I lifted off the accelerator in a corner.
Now running on 185/75/R14 - no drama in the corners.
is that due to a better contact patch or not?
And I'm hoping when I move up to 195/60/R15, my cornering will improve further. dream or reality?
Wider tyres do not provide more grip it is the tyre material and tread type which are prime factors for better grip. Contact patch area remains same irrespective of the width of the tyre. details in the link below -
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 2 of 2
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:39   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is the average weight needed while balancing Indian made tyres?

I just found that one of my Apollo Storm tyre needs 220gms of weight. That much off-balance in a tyre is ridiculous.
Are you sure thats only because of the tyre?? It could well be because of the rim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Wider tyres do not provide more grip it is the tyre material and tread type which are prime factors for better grip. Contact patch area remains same irrespective of the width of the tyre. details in the link below -
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 2 of 2
Tread is not really a factor for better grip either. Not on dry roads.
Closed Thread