Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Best set of tyres? - In India.
Goodyear 72 9.13%
Pirelli 35 4.44%
Michelin 256 32.45%
Bridgestone 232 29.40%
Falkens 7 0.89%
BF Goodrich 12 1.52%
Mrf 35 4.44%
Ceat 3 0.38%
Yokohama 111 14.07%
Dunlop 5 0.63%
JK Tyre 5 0.63%
Apollo Tyres 16 2.03%
Voters: 789. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2009, 23:37   #616
Senior - BHPian

Default Tyre upgrade for santro xing

My santro xing is due for a tyre change. it has stock tyre on stock rims.
I am planning to upgrade them to better tyres that provide good ride quality. Should i go for upsize? or stick to stock size?

please suggest some good manufacturer for the same. In near future i would be also installing k&n air filter and go for ffe.

keeping mind the above factor which would be a decent budget?

your opinions would be very helpful.

thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 00:17   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you have stock steel rims, I suggest you go for tubetype tyres from either MRF or Bridgestone. Stick to the stock size as upsizing will not give you any major benefits unless you upgrade your rims to alloys and then get tubeless Michelin or something.
Old 27th March 2009, 01:10   #618
Senior - BHPian

Why tubed tyres dude?? Can't the Santro's rims take on tubeless tyres? Tubeless are a better bet anyday; if the rims can take it. Also MRF is known to be a hard compound... beware of tyre noise, bad grip, etc! Bridgestone should be good, or better still - Yokohoma (best in fact). Dunno if they make the size for the Santro though. Also there is GoodYear - cheaper and decent tyres for the price, IMO. Used them for years without any problems.

Wouldn't recommend upsizing either.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th March 2009 at 01:12.
Old 27th March 2009, 01:43   #619
Senior - BHPian

Default confused

thanks nikhil for your prompt reply.

i would like to improve the ride quality of santro as well as buy tyres that support minor performance mods.

if i decide to upgrade rims which one would you suggest? what is the approximate cost in baroda for rims and tyres?

if i keep stock rims what are the chances of improving ride quality? will upgrading to 165/65 r13 not feasible on stock rims?

sorry for so many questions, but i would like to know all this before going for a tyre change.

appreciate your help

thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 07:32   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
thanks nikhil for your prompt reply.

i would like to improve the ride quality of santro as well as buy tyres that support minor performance mods.

if i decide to upgrade rims which one would you suggest? what is the approximate cost in baroda for rims and tyres?

if i keep stock rims what are the chances of improving ride quality? will upgrading to 165/65 r13 not feasible on stock rims?

sorry for so many questions, but i would like to know all this before going for a tyre change.
Hi chevelle
If budget is not an issue then go in for tubeless tyres only.
Michelins are great and you will not repent having spent the extra.
One up-size will justify but nothing more is of any great help.
For rims you will have to market hunt as there are lots of type and designs.
Stick to a good dealer. Thats very important specially if you go in for non-indian alloys. Waranty/ replacements always become an issue incase of a problem.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th May 2009 at 22:30.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:41   #621
Senior - BHPian

thanks Ravi

in case i opt to upsize tires and rims, is 165/65/r13 a good option for Michelin xm? also which alloy to go for? 5j or 5.5j?

budget would be around 25k including tires and alloy. it that less?

i didn't find any Yokohama tires, which one's better between a michelin xm and yokohama xx(is it a-drive?). my Main priority is Good Ride Quality, other things come later.

i will have to hunt around for rims, if i come across any interesting ones will let you know. can you suggest any ?

i stay in baroda, so i could go to surat or a'bad to get it done, not a big deal. i do know a couple of good dealers in baroda, but have to inquire whether they stock yokohama or michelin and good rims.

thanks for your opinion.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:11   #622
Senior - BHPian

Best combination for Santro is go for Alloys (Aura or any good imported brands) with Michellin XM1+ tubeless 165/65 R13. You will love your decision. I think cost wise aproximately it would cost 2600/- per XM1+ tyre and max. 2700/- per alloy.

So total cost may be around: 28000/- for set of 5 alloy and set of 5 tyres with fitting/balancing/chrome nuts for alloys.

Make sure you choose alloy which matches santro profile in terms of ET (offset), PCD etc.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:42   #623
Senior - BHPian

@ chevelle:

Stock rim size for Santro is 13x4J. It can accommodate upsize tyre 165/65R13. And you can have tubeless tyres on stock rims (many members are using it without any problem). Rims need to be in good condition so that air doesn't leak/escape.

Among tubeless tyres, you can choose between Michelin XM1, Bridgestone turanza ER60 or Yokohoma A-drive.
Yokohoma doesn't have stock size 155/70R13 but has 165/65R13 and these Yokos are cheaper by Rs. 200 (at least in pune) compared to stock size Michelin/Bridgestone tubeless tyres.

And for detailed discussion about santro tyres & wheels, have a look at this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...es-santro.html (Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro)
Old 27th March 2009, 10:17   #624
Senior - BHPian

@ravi, sukiwa

thanks for your opinions.
i looked at that thread sukiwa, in that i saw Yokohama a-drive, looked good. i also saw michelin's xm, thats why i was confused which one to go for.

tires would be going tubeless, but need to have a detailed looked for a bent rim, else will go for alloys, it depends on my dad's signal (red/green) though, if he prefers alloys, then would go for them. else will have to go for upgrade size on stock rims.

i guess it boils to cost between xm+1 and a-drive. will inquire about them at some dealers i know. will post here the prices in baroda.

hey ravi, can you tell me what offset and which pcd to go for, i ain't familiar with those terms. will try to get familiarize with those terms to get a better idea.

thanks guys, appreciate your help.
Old 27th March 2009, 14:42   #625
Senior - BHPian

When buying rims, it pays to get the lightest one. It is the reduction in weight that will give you better ride quality.

Also, Yokos make lot more sense as the price is also lower. I really doubt that the price difference is only Rs. 200. The difference for Esteem's size is much bigger.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:33   #626
BHPian

Hi chevelle
I completely agree with ravibhat.
Just go in for Aura alloys and xm+1.
You beeing in Baroda can call:
Sashi Nair- 9824048001. Colcap Sales, Near Chani Octroi Naka.
Take an appointment from him and visit his shop. Nice man. Will give you good advice on Alloys. Will clear your PCD etc technical details. Must meet him before deciding on alloys.
For Michelin you may call Vikas:9825162599. Hemant tyres Sales & service,Near Chani octroi circle.
Is case any isues you sms me at 9426514744. I will call back.
All the best.
Old 28th March 2009, 01:25   #627
Senior - BHPian

@ravi
thanks, really appreciate your help.
i will be in baroda on 10th april, so will get it done then. meanwhile, i have told my dad to get names of dealers that he knows.

you must be aware of sindlal tyres, a famous name in baroda. will inquire through them. will also contact the persons you mentioned.

i will pm you if i have any questions.

@racoon

thanks for your opinion. i will definitely look for lighter and better looking ones, as of now i can afford to spend 25k, but if i find some really better ones i may convince my dad to up the budget.

can someone suggest, which color combination will suit a metallic grey/silver santro.

appreciate your help

thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:55   #628
BHPian

What price would one have to shell out to get 185/60R14 or 195/55 R 14 Tyres for models like Pilot Preceda, Potenza G3, And Michelin XM1 or Yokohoma A-drive.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:33   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

For heaven's sake, dont go in for the GIII.

185/60 R14 in Yoko A drive should be around 3.5k. Michelin PP should be around 4.4 or 4.5k

195/55 R14 is a very rare size. Not available in any of the models you mentioned.
Old 19th May 2009, 07:41   #630
BHPian

Default SINGA Tyres ....how good or bad it is

Now in chennai , A dealer has imported SINGA tyres. Anyone has tried this or is it available in other metros. looking for info on this one. url where i found some info on this .
Singa Tyre of Indonesia Nice for Pakistani Roads - PakWheels
Closed Thread