Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2006, 15:18   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Any chance, are you referring to the limited edition Fiesta's that are coming with the alloys + other features?
Nops. I am not talking about the Alloys in the limited edition. I am talking about the ones in the SXI which comes as standard.
talkingpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 18:33   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

You can get 5 Nos after market alloys for around 19 K for ford fiesta as against 22k for 4 Nos charged by Ford. I opted for after market alloys for my Fiesta TDCi - ZXI
dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 02:28   #18
sAP
BHPian
 
sAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 10000 Lakes
Posts: 272
Thanked: 15 Times
Cool Buyer beware

There is some information at the link below that might help make your decision on:
  • whether alloys are a good option compared to stock wheels
  • what brand(s) to look at and
  • what you need to check concerning specifications
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/308805-post1.html

sAP
sAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 12:27   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Talkingpebbles, Ford is giving higher discounts on the SXI now, if you book before 31st October; as you said, effectively, the SXI works out cheaper than the ZXI at this point.

I would go for the SXI with factory fitted alloys because what you pay for the ZXI PLUS even aftermarket alloys will still cost you more....and you'll still not get leather upholstery, electrically adjustable OSRVM, 6 CD changer to name a few.

So squeeze your dealer for the maximum discount and get the SXI....by the way, they are even giving TMP (Total Maintenance Plan) free now from what I've heard.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 13:56   #20
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

talkingpebbles, go for SXI with company-fitted alloys, as noted by Suman. Second option is to pay extra for company-supplied alloys -- it is worth it, see thread by sAP. After-market alloys should be your last option-- pay a lot of attention to the technical details noted in sAP's thread, because the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise and will almost certainly botch it.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 14:11   #21
BHPian
 
dsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Aura is OEM for alloy wheels for lot of Car manufacturers in India. If you see aura website you can see lot of designs and patterns which u can match with Tata, mahindra, maruti vehicles.
dsinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,785 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
because the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise and will almost certainly botch it.
This is true of anything.....a dumb mechanic at the Ford dealership can screw it up....

It depends where you get these fitted...go to a cheap place and they MAY botch it up...go to a reputed proper tyre dealership and they will do an excellent job which even Ford cannot match.....
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:22   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Nikhil, what RKS is saying is that in the case of Ford, it comes factory fitted with no "dumb mechanic" possibility arising.......we're comparing with SXI which comes with factory fitted alloys
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,785 Times
Default

well, ok...

But I dont agree with his statement "because the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise and will almost certainly botch it."

Anything you get done to your car outside the factory is at a risk then....

You wont believe it, but many places dont have decent people to do an alignment..... even though aligning cars is something oooold.

So, in the end what I am saying is that whatever you do to your car, make sure you go to a proper dealer. Price shouldnt always be the factor but service too.....
My dad refuses to get his wheels aligned at Dakshin Honda because he feels they mess it up... he prefers to get it done elsewhere.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:32   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
You wont believe it, but many places dont have decent people to do an alignment..... even though aligning cars is something oooold.
Tell me about it, I always get it done at the place I buy my tyres from (never at the dealership), he has an expert guy doing the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
My dad refuses to get his wheels aligned at Dakshin Honda because he feels they mess it up... he prefers to get it done elsewhere.
Sensible man!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:44   #26
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
well, ok...

But I dont agree with his statement "because the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise and will almost certainly botch it."

Anything you get done to your car outside the factory is at a risk then....
No, I think you have misunderstood what I meant. When I said "the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise" I didn't mean the physical aspect of fitting; I meant that these guys do not know how to choose appropriate alloys that will fit your car's specifications. They basically will argue for whatever limited range of alloys is available with them and try to hard-sell these. What you say is correct -- the Ford dealership is equally capable of botching anything, but in this case the technical specifications of Ford-supplied alloys are already worked out by the company. All I am saying is that if you buy these alloys and get them fitted by competent people (whether at Ford or anywhere else) there is much less scope of problems with the fit, including vibrations or braking (see sAP's thread).
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,785 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
No, I think you have misunderstood what I meant. When I said "the guys fitting the after-market alloys have zero expertise" I didn't mean the physical aspect of fitting; I meant that these guys do not know how to choose appropriate alloys that will fit your car's specifications. They basically will argue for whatever limited range of alloys is available with them and try to hard-sell these. What you say is correct -- the Ford dealership is equally capable of botching anything, but in this case the technical specifications of Ford-supplied alloys are already worked out by the company. All I am saying is that if you buy these alloys and get them fitted by competent people (whether at Ford or anywhere else) there is much less scope of problems with the fit, including vibrations or braking (see sAP's thread).
Well, I still maintain, it depends on where you go...... It varies from place to place...some people just try to make a sale whereas others will tell you truthfully that they dont have it in stock...

And secondly, Aura are having low supplies in the market...they had some manufacturing problems....so, if some designs of Aura werent available, that is the reason..
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 21:25   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Talkingpebbles, Ford is giving higher discounts on the SXI now, if you book before 31st October; as you said, effectively, the SXI works out cheaper than the ZXI at this point.

I would go for the SXI with factory fitted alloys because what you pay for the ZXI PLUS even aftermarket alloys will still cost you more....and you'll still not get leather upholstery, electrically adjustable OSRVM, 6 CD changer to name a few.

So squeeze your dealer for the maximum discount and get the SXI....by the way, they are even giving TMP (Total Maintenance Plan) free now from what I've heard.
Wow, thanks for that info. I have already gone ahead and booked the SXI. they gave me the additional years warranty for free. but not total maintenance plan. Know of anyone who got it? it would be great if you could pass on the info to me. and yes. ZXI with additional accessories will cost me almost the same as SXI. and thats exactly why i decided to go for SXI. thanks again for the suggestions. I do believe that its better to get the company fit alloys though I wont have any design choice there.

- B
talkingpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 16:30   #29
Newbie
 
vinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Goa
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

some one (a mechanic) told me if you put in alloys, the bearings wear out faster. Also steels absorb shock and bend - the alloys would merely transfer shock on the bearings and axel.
True or false?
vinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 16:41   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpebbles
Know of anyone who got it? it would be great if you could pass on the info to me.
- B
Not in Bangalore but my brother in Mumbai is in the process of finalizing through Wasan Ford so he was telling me.

By the way, are they giving you Waxoyl treatment & underbody coating for free? They should give you that free at least if they're not giving anything else.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a second hand Opel Corsa (8 year old), Is it worth paying 1.5 Lac? carlover98 Sedans 80 10th November 2011 22:14
Soft Drinks, no extra service but extra charge. bblost Shifting gears 58 21st February 2011 16:03
Shell petrol/diesel worth paying the premium? msvg The Indian Car Scene 112 10th May 2008 17:55
Is Baleno Vxi worth spending 80K extra premanshu Sedans 54 25th April 2006 19:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks