Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 6th October 2006, 08:37   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down

hi All

could anyone please tell me if its worth paying 22k extra for alloy wheels for ford fiesta 1.6 zxi? I am not very familiar to the concept of alloys. would appreciate your expert advice on the matter as I am deciding on buying a fiesta.

thanks

Biju
talkingpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 10:20   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpebbles
hi All

could anyone please tell me if its worth paying 22k extra for alloy wheels for ford fiesta 1.6 zxi? I am not very familiar to the concept of alloys. would appreciate your expert advice on the matter as I am deciding on buying a fiesta.

thanks

Biju
Alloy wheels are more stronger than the normal Wheel and they weigh less.The look cool on cars.

Since they weigh less theorticall they should increase the FE of the car.But practically the alloy wheel's contribution to the FE of the car is negligible.

People buy alloy wheel just for cool looks and their longer life/performance.

For a normal Joe doesn't care much abt the particular look of Alloy wheel it is absolutely not necessary.Btw you can always spend that extra money and upgrade it .
Thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Is that 22K for the company alloys?

And what is your Q-Is it worth so much money for alloys?

or Is it worth 22K for that particular alloys?

Anyways Ford Alloys (14") is not worth 22K,you will get after market alloys in far better designs at cheaper cost
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 14:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Alloys are much stronger than regular steel wheels.....if you are driving fast and you hit a pothole, the old steel wheel will crack but alloys will take it in their stride.

Of course, if you hit a pot hole really really hard, that too will break.

And alloys are lighter than steel wheels, look better and if you have tubeless tyres, alloys are a must(if you use tubless on a steel wheel, and it bends, the air leaks out of the tyre). Alooys dont bend and rust free and maintainence free....

And of course, they look cool
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 14:51   #5
BHPian

thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

Nash, I am talking about the alloys that ford supply for 22k.

Nikhil, Fiesta obviously has tubeless tires. that means I must go for alloys? If i go for alloys as well, the total that i have to pay for my ZXI will be almost the same as the top end SXI. So i was wondering why not go for SXI then? But then it is also said that I get better alloys in the market for cheaper rate. So i am a bit lost.
Old 6th October 2006, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

if the 22k is only for the alloys, they are not worth it. if the tyre size also changes, then you might want to reconsider.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 15:08   #7
BHPian

they are only for the alloys!
Old 6th October 2006, 15:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

huh ??

Fiesta has tubless as standard ?? Suprising !!

I mean, logically...if the rim gets bent, then the tyre isnt air tight any more and obviously the air will leak and your tyre will deflate.

Steel wheels are more to rim bending (there are plces which do rim-bend removal too )... alloy wheels are much harder and dont get bent...

And you dont HAVE to buy the Alloys from Ford....there are many places which sell Aura Alloy wheels..... When you do buy alloy wheels, dont buy cheap ones.... they could cost you in the long run as some of them are weaker than the well made ones like Aura and they could actually be heavier than even steel wheels.....
Old 6th October 2006, 16:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
huh ??

Fiesta has tubless as standard ?? Suprising !!

I mean, logically...if the rim gets bent, then the tyre isnt air tight any more and obviously the air will leak and your tyre will deflate.

Steel wheels are more to rim bending (there are plces which do rim-bend removal too )... alloy wheels are much harder and dont get bent...

And you dont HAVE to buy the Alloys from Ford....there are many places which sell Aura Alloy wheels..... When you do buy alloy wheels, dont buy cheap ones.... they could cost you in the long run as some of them are weaker than the well made ones like Aura and they could actually be heavier than even steel wheels.....
thanks Nikhil. Just one question though. Is it not better buying the company fitted alloy wheels from ford than buying from outside though the later may be cheaper and smarter?
Old 6th October 2006, 18:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car crazy kid
probably not. for some companys like tata, hyundai, dunno aobut ford. aura and neo are the ones who supply the wheels to the company. the company puts their logo on the centre and seels it for a much heftier price.
cool. thanks. however is it not better to have a factory fit car than getting any alteration done outside?
Old 6th October 2006, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Hey, don't give 22k to Ford for the basic alloys they'll put. Buy after market from Aura or Neo. http://www.auraalloywheels.com/. They're better in design, you have tons of options and might just get them a tad cheaper. And they are definitely better quality.
Asthetically they're worth the cost.
dMH
da MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 22:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely !! Who do you think makes the alloys for these car manufacturers :P

Aura mainly and Neo to a certain extent.

Aura has a huge presence in the market and are renowned for their quality....

The past 4 cars owned in our family have all been fitted with after market Aura alloy wheels and we havent had a single problem with them.

Only the past 2 cars, the Corsa 1.6 Royale and the new Honda City Vtec, we got the standard alloys and didnt change them :P
Old 7th October 2006, 01:04   #13
BHPian

We have Neowheels alloys on our Maruti Esteem as well as New Honda City..
I got my Neowheels alloys for Rs19,000,which are 14 inch,CHROME PLATED ones..(set of 5 alloys)
My Esteem 13 inchers Normal polish ones were for around Rs14,000 I think..(also set of 5 alloys).
They are with 1 year warranty on chrome plating..(Infact,the company replaced 4 of my Chrome neowheels alloys,since the chroming in a few parts came off after like 4-5 months.

Cheers,
-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 09:52   #14
BHPian

Thanks a Ton guys. I am now a lot better informed regarding alloys because of all your suggestions!
Old 7th October 2006, 12:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Any chance, are you referring to the limited edition Fiesta's that are coming with the alloys + other features?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote