Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 23rd September 2016, 10:32   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Wheel nut stuck! Tyre shop messes up threaded bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this experience.

I had a similar incident when I went in for a Wheel Alignment and Balancing at a Bridgestone outlet in Baner, Pune. I did not realise the the nut was incorrectly put in until I had a puncture on that same tyre and the puncture guy could not remove the tyre.

Fortunately, there is a HASS nearby who helped me remove the faulty nut and gave me a free replacement.

Since then, I have been extra careful with mechanics bolting the nuts back on my car tyres.

I feel its due to either sheer carelessness or lack of training to handle power tools.
Thanks so much for sharing you experience. As you said, those two factors are quite evident considering it happens to so many people. Add to that lack of proper training and its a deadly mix.

Thank God that you never faced that situation on a road trip with a puncture. That would have been extremely inconvenient and frustrating.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:39   #32
BHPian

As a basic thumb rule, when getting work done by vendors (of any type in India) remember: they do not own any stake or ownership in the article being serviced. Be it a car ----> basic drill on your house wall. And this is the way they feel and live. So watch them with a hawk-eye, and immediately reprimand if you see them doing something careless/out of line/experimenting/RnD. Example above: how a juvenile broke the battery clamp.

Those torque pneumatic guns, are more of toys in untrained/incompetent hands rather than tools to ease the burden and pain of labor on humans, vs. transforming them from beasts of burden to working professionals.

It is difficult to get 100% penetration for this, but at least we should be vigilant. I am sure, we all can cite numerous examples.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 12:46   #33
BHPian

Had faced a similar issue at Vijays with my sierra. Fortunately I recognised that before he shoved in the pneumatic gun.
belvaisudheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 01:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
As a basic thumb rule, when getting work done by vendors (of any type in India) remember: they do not own any stake or ownership in the article being serviced. Be it a car ----> basic drill on your house wall. And this is the way they feel and live. So watch them with a hawk-eye, and immediately reprimand if you see them doing something careless/out of line/experimenting/RnD. Example above: how a juvenile broke the battery clamp.
Totally Agree. Cannot take things for granted and need to keep a Hawk's eye on everything that is going on.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote