Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 13:11   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
2. what tyre size should I go for? will 195/60/R15 fit without any change in suspension?
GD the correct upsizes would be:

195/50 R15
205/50 R15

If you go for 14" then

195/60 R14
205/55 R14 (Could be hard to procure though)

195/60 R15 is not recommended since the difference in OD is more than 5.4% which is too high.

Also please specify what exactly is the basis for your upgrade? Looks or improved grip? Also what road conditions you drive on. Based on this we could give you proper advice.

From the sizes listed above ideally you should go in for 195/60 R14 which will be a good compromised among grip, looks & ride comfort. 195/50 R15 would be better but ride comfort would suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
What can I expect for my stock rim and tyres(175/65/R14 S322)( 4 rim/tyres run 8000 Km & 1 rim/tyre run just 10km)

For the tyres already run 8k I doubt you'll get much in return. For the tyre which is virtually new you would get somewhere around 1.2-1.5k. Steel wheels would not fetch you more than 100rs. each so my recommendation would also be to keep them.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 13:42   #17
BHPian
 
greatDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 546
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also please specify what exactly is the basis for your upgrade? Looks or improved grip? Also what road conditions you drive on. Based on this we could give you proper advice.
Basis of this upgrade is because I have a budget of 30-35k which I can spent freely on my car .
On the serious note, I need better grip, Less body roll, with better look( definitely).
I usually drive on good roads.. not really a offroader.. mostly drives on Highways. Unless I get a bad patch on highways..
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 19:24   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Basis of this upgrade is because I have a budget of 30-35k which I can spent freely on my car
On the serious note, I need better grip, Less body roll, with better look(definitely).
I usually drive on good roads.. not really a offroader.. mostly drives on Highways. Unless I get a bad patch on highways..
@GreatDrive
If Ur Budget is 30-35K then you can only have 14" on your car, cause 15" and tyres will cost you at least 10K more. As suggested by iRaghav better stick to 14" and 195/60 R14. That is a very good Upgrade and will come well within your budget. You'll get good grip, less body roll and every thing, and coming to the looks it'll depend on your alloy selection .

Quote:
where in jc road?is it some shop?
@Carfreak
JC road in bangalore is one stop shopping road for all Auto spares. There are many shops on this road and the road next to this.
mega5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 10:45   #19
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 559
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

greatDrive,even i would advice you stick to 195/60r14.it is a good size and will not change the OD much.also,please let us know how you feel after the upgrade!

mega5918,will i get 98pcd alloys?i tried in kerala but it is very difficult to procure 98pcd alloys here-everyone suggesting altering 100pcd to 98pcd which i dont want.i called up neo wheels-they have stopped making 98pcd alloys.aura does have 2-3patterns but their designs are not that great.

if nothing works,i may have to go in for the o.e.alloys.

Last edited by carfreak : 8th February 2007 at 10:53.
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 11:01   #20
BHPian
 
greatDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 546
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Okay.. So looks like I should go for 195/60 R14 as so many people suggesting it.
Not sure if I can get much choice in Aura alloys, Is there any other brand which have 98pcd & 5.5J in R14.

Secondly, Which brand of tyres should I go for, most of the people here have recommened Potenzza GIII. I have checked the prices in bangalore, and it flaots somewhere between Rs3350 to Rs3750. Now confused, why so much of difference.. Is Rs3350 'one'is Fake or what?
Should going for 5th trye makes sense?
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 11:30   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,599 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Okay.. So looks like I should go for 195/60 R14 as so many people suggesting it.
Not sure if I can get much choice in Aura alloys, Is there any other brand which have 98pcd & 5.5J in R14.

Secondly, Which brand of tyres should I go for, most of the people here have recommened Potenzza GIII. I have checked the prices in bangalore, and it flaots somewhere between Rs3350 to Rs3750. Now confused, why so much of difference.. Is Rs3350 'one'is Fake or what?
Should going for 5th trye makes sense?
I think the lowest rate of GIII i've heard is Rs.3800 for 195/60-14.....

GIIIs are very good tyres which will give u awesome grip but little noisy at high speeds.....If u want min road noise n great ride quailty go for Michelins XM1....

If u are getting GIII leave the 5th tyre as stock ......
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 12:00   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@CarFreak
Quote:
will i get 98pcd alloys?i tried in kerala but it is very difficult to procure 98pcd alloys here-everyone suggesting altering 100pcd to 98pcd which i dont want.i called up neo wheels-they have stopped making 98pcd alloys.aura does have 2-3patterns but their designs are not that great.
if nothing works,i may have to go in for the o.e.alloys.
Check this link out LG096 You might like this alloy or Check out Aura D1455/D3350 Looks good and available in 98 PCD. They are available in Bangalore but you have to order and wait for a week.
../Mega
mega5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 12:42   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,625
Thanked: 6,149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think the lowest rate of GIII i've heard is Rs.3800 for 195/60-14.....
In Pune they are available for Rs. 3350/- a piece.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 13:19   #24
BHPian
 
rahulsnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi,

I want to upgrade the tyre to tubeless one to circumvent puncture scenario.

I was suggested that it would be wise to upgrade the wheel to an alloy one else it defeats the purpose. Is it true?

If I go for alloy wheels then I would value "unsprung-weight-effect" over "looks". I have no experience to figure how much comfort and control will this change bring. I was also told that if upsized to 14, I would have more ground clearance. True?

I'm told Michelin XM1+ tyres suite my need best - any better option?
Will upsizing to 14 diminish benefit of lower-unsprung-weight significantly?
Apart from ground clearance will upsizing affect any other aspect?
Please suggest which kind of alloy wheels should I go for?
Also with tubeless tyre do I still need spare wheel?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Rahul

PS: I do not intend to be unreasonably extravagant. I'm looking for higher ROI in terms of better handling hence driving comfort.

Details:
Zen LXI (2005 model old)
30K+ kms done
Tyre spec: 145/80R 12 71S
Wheel spec: 4J * 12

I drive 40+ kms daily
Usually sustain at 60 - 90 kmph
Mostly city driving
rahulsnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Accessories and Tires / Alloys - Planet Accessories, Malad SAS Mumbai 2 20th August 2013 12:12
15" AMG ALLOYS VIV Modifications & Accessories 0 30th June 2005 11:10
Found good Lancer deal: 99 GLXi 29k black, alloys aalaap Shifting gears 1 27th November 2004 12:33
Bent alloys drifter Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 22nd September 2004 00:10
Alloys jet out chaxy Technical Stuff 13 28th August 2004 15:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks