Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 22:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Smile Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Dear all,

I own a Tata Nano Twist XT and I am looking to replace the tires on my car(all 4) based on the advice of my service adviser that the tires are out of shape and are the reason for the wobble in my car. I have done 30k kms on my car.

When I inquired about the tires today with various dealers, I have got two options:
1. Ceat
2. Bridgestone

I haven't ever got the tires replaced for my car and would like suggestions on which is the better brand between the two?

The price difference between the two is about 3-500 Rs per tire.

Thank you in advance for the help.

bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 00:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,198
Thanked: 12,755 Times
Default re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
I have got two options:
1. Ceat
2. Bridgestone
Of the two, my vote is on Bridgestone. Better tyres than Ceat. If not Bridgestone, MRF is next best tyre IMHO.

Your choices are :

FRONT TYRE

1. Bridgestone B290 (135/70 R12) - Rs 2000
2. MRF ZEC (135/70 R12) - Rs 1820

REAR TYRE

1. Bridgestone B290 (155/65 R12) - Rs 2650
2. MRF ZEC (155/65 R12) - Rs 2300

Try getting a good deal on Bridgestones.
a4anurag is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 01:43   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

I have replaced my Nano's rear tyres to Bridgestone B290. They're great. Haven't heard any bad reviews about Ceat. Except JK, all are pretty decent in this segment (Stock was JK in my car).
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 03:59   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 7,174 Times
Default re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Go with Bridgestones B290 for your Nano. They are much better than the MRFs and Ceat(in that size) in the market. The extra money is well worth it.

Hope you have checked the rims before narrowing down to the tyres.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 29th March 2017 at 04:18.
Leoshashi is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 05:00   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Go with Bridgestones B290 for your Nano. They are much better than the MRFs and Ceat(in that size) in the market. The extra money is well worth it.

Hope you have checked the rims before narrowing down to the tyres.

Regards,
Shashi
What? I have to get the rims checked too? The service advisor said that the tires were out of shape. So thought of getting only tires changed. Thanks for the advice, will get them checked. But could you tell me the reason for it? Just curious!





Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Of the two, my vote is on Bridgestone. Better tyres than Ceat. If not Bridgestone, MRF is next best tyre IMHO.

Your choices are :

FRONT TYRE

1. Bridgestone B290 (135/70 R12) - Rs 2000
2. MRF ZEC (135/70 R12) - Rs 1820

REAR TYRE

1. Bridgestone B290 (155/65 R12) - Rs 2650
2. MRF ZEC (155/65 R12) - Rs 2300

Try getting a good deal on Bridgestones.
I got quoted 2k for the front ones and 2.5 for the back. Let me check again tomorrow.
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 05:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,198
Thanked: 12,755 Times
Default re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
What? I have to get the rims checked too? But could you tell me the reason for it? Just curious!
What I think he meant by checking the rims was, alignment and balancing plus check it for any bends that could be one of the cause for wheel wobble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hope you have checked the rims before narrowing down to the tyres.
Isn't that what you meant?
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 05:14   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What I think he meant by checking the rims was, alignment and balancing plus check it for any bends that could be one of the cause for wheel wobble.
Yeah, got that checked. Will still get it checked by another guy.
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 05:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,198
Thanked: 12,755 Times
Default re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Yeah, got that checked. Will still get it checked by another guy.
You seem to be from Hyderabad too, where do you get it checked?

Visit Ashoka Wheels, Minister Road for better prices and reliable alignment results.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th March 2017 at 06:42. Reason: Typo
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 05:31   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You seem to be from Hyderabad too, where do you get it checked?

Visit Ashoka Wheels, Minister Road for better prices and reliable alignment results.
Yes I'm from Hyderabad too. Will get it checked there.

I was actually planning to get it done from one guy who I have been to before in Sainikpuri. But will get it checked at Ashoka wheels.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2017 at 06:43. Reason: fixed typo in quoted post
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 18:15   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Well, I just went to the regular shop I go to and he confirmed that the Rims were fine. The tires though are out of shape and need replacement.

He also mentioned that a lot of people go for both the tires of the same size instead of different sizes as recommended by Tata.

I am not sure of if that is good and I am not too eager to get that done. What is the opinion for others?

Apart from that, the rates quoted for the tires are as below:
1. Bridgestone : 2250(Front) and 2800(Rear)
2. MRF / Ceat : 1700(F) and 2200(R)
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 18:40   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 7,174 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post

He also mentioned that a lot of people go for both the tires of the same size instead of different sizes as recommended by Tata.

I am not sure of if that is good and I am not too eager to get that done. What is the opinion for others?

(R)
I won't recommend experimenting too much with the sizes, specially the front ones. Some people have reported that anything wider than 135mm at front causes rubber to hit some clip of the brake lines, thus tearing the rubber in no time.

So stick to manufacturer recommended sizes. Shop owners also give this nonsense so that they don't have to stock the uncommon 135 section rubber.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th March 2017 at 18:41.
Leoshashi is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 18:44   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I won't recommend experimenting too much with the sizes, specially the front ones. Some people have reported that anything wider than 135mm at front causes rubber to hit some clip of the brake lines, thus tearing the rubber in no time.

So stick to manufacturer recommended sizes. Shop owners also give this nonsense so that they don't have to stock the uncommon 135 section rubber.

Regards,
Shashi
I was thinking the same. Will keep it stock size!
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 19:34   #13
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 948
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
I am not sure of if that is good and I am not too eager to get that done. What is the opinion for others?

Apart from that, the rates quoted for the tires are as below:
1. Bridgestone : 2250(Front) and 2800(Rear)
2. MRF / Ceat : 1700(F) and 2200(R)
Thanks, I too am looking to replace front tyres, mine have lasted 35k.
We should stick to company recommended tyre size since Nano is rear engine and small front tyre has been deliberately put to induce safe understeer AFAIK.

I am not sure how bigger tyre size will impact EPS.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 08:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,198
Thanked: 12,755 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
He also mentioned that a lot of people go for both the tires of the same size instead of different sizes as recommended by Tata.
IMHO, Tata knows the car much better in - out than these tyre dealers so please don't go by what they say.

Stick to OEM size and get Bridgestone tyres, negotiate harder on the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I am not sure how bigger tyre size will impact EPS.
Would put load on the power steering pump plus a larger tyre may foul with the suspension/steering components/wheel well during turns or braking.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st March 2017 at 08:43.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 08:43   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: Bridgestone or Ceat for my Tata Nano?

I was quoted ₹1,950/pc for JK Tyres (135/70 R12 - front tyres) at Sai Iyengar Tyre Dealer in Indiranagar, Bangalore.

This was 1 month back when the car had had a puncture.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st March 2017 at 08:48.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceat launches Gripp MX range of motorcycle tyres Aditya Motorbikes 0 13th December 2014 10:55
Ceat Tyres investing Rs. 400 crore in new plant at Nagpur Aditya Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 11th December 2014 18:55
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
Major Fire at Ceat Tyres Warehouse, Mumbai GTO Street Experiences 9 24th February 2014 17:44
CEAT - What's the news? Proxima Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 5th November 2013 12:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks