Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd November 2006, 07:10   #1
BHPian

Default Wrong tyre tube size

Hi guys,
Had a flat tyre recently and the tubehad to be replaced. I have the original tyre/tube 165x65 R13 fitted on my Indica. But the puncture repairwala while replacing the tube replaced it with 145x65 R13 tube and when I pointed it out to him he told me its no problem. He didnt have 165x65 R13 tube and I didnt have a choice. So now on of my tyres is 165x65 R13 with a 145x65 R13 tube. Have not seen any perceptible difference yet, but would be grateful for any inputs. he charged me Rs.350/- for it.

Cheers
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not a very good thing to do as the new tube is of a smaller size and therefore must be over-inflated to fit the 165 tyre. You stand a very high chance of the tube bursting during a high speed run. Please replace it with the correct size at the earliest.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vikram,

When you fill air in the tyre, you're actually checking the air pressure in the tube. If you keep it at the correct specification, theres no way it will overfill to fit the larger tyre. Yes, there might still be a risk in using a smaller than recommended tube since the tyre will not be supported adequately by a smaller tube. Therefore I would recommend changing to the prescribed tube size. Stock sizes are usually best.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not a very good idea,even if it means loosing the Rs 350 on the 145/65/R13 tube don't hesitate in changing over to new 165/65/R13 tube.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:58   #5
BHPian

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs....will do needful asap.

Cheers!
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Angry Different size tubes in same size tyres, any issue??

Guys, most unfortunately, I have to state that I had been conned last year by a tyre shop, which I came to know today.
As usual, its the trust factor which caused me to fail. Anyways, its no point pondering over what went wrong. All I wish to know is whether it can cause any issue.

Background- My 800 was due for a tyre change, I got 4 tyres changed. Got Bridgestone S322 145/70 R12 tubed type(stock size) for my car. Even if my steel rims were in perfect shape without any rust, I opted for tubed type as I firmly believe that tubeless work best on new steel rims/alloys.

So after 1.5 years, what I discover is that two tyres have tubes which have 145/80R12 printed on them while other two have 145/70 r12 printed.

According to tyre dealers, it doesn't matter.
But I would like the opinions of BHPians. What issues can it cause??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Different size tubes in same size tyres, any issue??

Way back in 1997 when we had purchased a 800 it came fitted with stock bias ply tyres.We asked the dealer to switch to radials which he readily did but the guy who swapped the tyres for us retained the tube of bias ply and fitted same into the radials.I noticed this and brought this to the notice of the maruti personnel with whom we were dealing with.Even we were told the same baloney that it does not matter and even though the tyres are radials the tube profile is same.

We however persisted that since we had paid for the new radials the tubes belonged to us and the same only should be used.Somehow those guys managed to misplace the original radial tubes and i had to drive the car for a week on the old bias ply tubes fitted with radials till those jokers called us and said that the radial tubes are available.The moment after fitting the proper tubes in the tyre i could feel a world of difference in the way the car gripped on the road.

Now in your case even though the tube might be of radial type but i still believe the size is not meant for the tyre and in a layman perspective you should change the tube to right sized one.Maybe experts here could have a different opinion.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As per my little knowledge both tubes are designed to hold different volume of air. Or is my understanding wrong here??
Regards,
Shashi

Off topic- What should be the cost of new 145/70R12 tubes?? Will I get any buyback on 145/80s ?? It is just 1.5 yr old and without any damage.
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
As per my little knowledge both tubes are designed to hold different volume of air. Or is my understanding wrong here??
Regards,
Shashi

Off topic- What should be the cost of new 145/70R12 tubes?? Will I get any buyback on 145/80s ?? It is just 1.5 yr old and without any damage.
Just call up a tyre shop and tell them your tyre make and size and ask for the price of the tube.Not sure about buy back though.When i used to buy new tubes for my MRF tyres (i would replace the tube instead of repairing whenever i had a puncture)it would be around 200-300 Rs but these prices were several years ago.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Just call up a tyre shop and tell them your tyre make and size and ask for the price of the tube.Not sure about buy back though.When i used to buy new tubes for my MRF tyres (i would replace the tube instead of repairing whenever i had a puncture)it would be around 200-300 Rs but these prices were several years ago.
Can't I put some other brands'(except JKs ) tube with the required size??

As far as I have been told, Bridgestone doesn't manufacture spare tubes.
Regards,
Shashi
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Guys, most unfortunately, I have to state that I had been conned last year by a tyre shop, which I came to know today.
As usual, its the trust factor which caused me to fail. Anyways, its no point pondering over what went wrong. All I wish to know is whether it can cause any issue.

Background- My 800 was due for a tyre change, I got 4 tyres changed. Got Bridgestone S322 145/70 R12 tubed type(stock size) for my car. Even if my steel rims were in perfect shape without any rust, I opted for tubed type as I firmly believe that tubeless work best on new steel rims/alloys.

So after 1.5 years, what I discover is that two tyres have tubes which have 145/80R12 printed on them while other two have 145/70 r12 printed.

According to tyre dealers, it doesn't matter.
But I would like the opinions of BHPians. What issues can it cause??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi,
The fact is that tubes are a lot like balloons and even the correctly sized ones are actually smaller than the inner surface of the tyre. When pressurised, they expand to make contact with the tyre. Hence they are a lot more 'forgiving' than having tyres of the wrong size. Still, this does NOT mean that any size shall suffice and it is always best to go for correctly sized tubes. To give you an idea of what problems a small tube may cause, the most common is for the valve to get pressed into the wheel, after which using the tyre will obviously damage the tube and lead to a puncture. In your case this has likely not occurred since the width specification was correct and the size relatively small.

Quote:
Regards,
Shashi

Since tubes are not meant to retain their outer shape and are designed to stretch, you can hold the same amount of air upto the point of failure of the smaller tube but this is not a sensible approach. It is better to get the right size. Just like a balloon, the over-stretched rubber gets thinner.

Being a 'tubeless' maniac, I cannot help you with source or price.

Quote:
Can't I put some other brands'(except JKs ) tube with the required size??

As far as I have been told, Bridgestone doesn't manufacture spare tubes.
Regards,
Shashi
Any brand shall suffice.
bharatsomany is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote