Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd May 2017, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tyre damaged from hitting the kerb. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Ryder, was the 35PSI below -10% of the tyre manufacturer's max PSI indication? (Pls refer to the quote below).
Since you've been through the worst, you may be giving the most accurate answer.
I had no idea about this indication. I will check it and let you know. Still I am not convinced about the derivation of the max PSI indication by tyre manufacturer as they dont know the vehicle weight beforehand while manufacturing the tyre. I think they consider the maximum load and speed ratings (imagine old ford fiesta and Tiago having same MAX PSI ratings as they share the tyre size(175*65-14) with a weight difference of appx 200 KG). That's why we should stick to the manufacturer recommended pressure as they consider both load and speed rating for the end product. But people, in general, over inflate their tyres for increasing the fuel efficiency.

This practice can prove fatal in a hot climate.

Just take a look at This
Ry_der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:38   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
That's why we should stick to the manufacturer recommended pressure as they consider both load and speed rating for the end product. But people, in general, over inflate their tyres for increasing the fuel efficiency.

This practice can prove fatal in a hot climate.

Just take a look at This
Its highly unlikely that 35 PSI caused your blowout. What was recommend tyre pressure for your car? Usually they would have normal and high load recommendation. Tyre supposed to perform at high load recommended pressure with normal load. Just imagine that you are start with 5 people with luggage, and you dropped few on the way, you don't immediately remove air from tyre, do you?

Over inflation will result in,
1. Uneven tire wear: more center wear if over inflated. Here over inflation should be more than MAX limit of tyre(which will be tyre sidewall)! Tyre should not lose shape within max range (both pressure and load).

2. Ride quality suffers.
3. Affects on the suspension components.

You should also know that manufacture recommend pressure is while tyre are cold. i.e even before you run it till bunk or tyre shop. One should also know that not all tyre gauge are same, including digital one in Petrol bunk.

Its not a bad idea to invest on Good gauge and decent tyre inflator.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

I agree a 5 psi difference on to higher side should not increase blow out chances, infact it will reduce the chance, by having lesser contact patch and friction. Heat is the major contributor to blow outs, and this is caused by low pressure and higher contact patch.

How old were the tyres and how many kilometers they had done?
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 23:38   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I agree a 5 psi difference on to higher side should not increase blow out chances, infact it will reduce the chance, by having lesser contact patch and friction. Heat is the major contributor to blow outs, and this is caused by low pressure and higher contact patch.
I now think that I was wrong in my opinion. I thought over inflated tyre+49℃ temperature caused the blowout.

Quote:
How old were the tyres and how many kilometers they had done?
As my car is a pre- worshipped car, I think it was running on the factory fitted tyres(Bridgestone S322), the tyres had done ~60K KMs and were 6 year old that time. But the tyres were free from cracks when I checked those by myself. I
Now I doubt whether the blowout was due to aged tyres. Thanks for the tip.

As of now the car runs on MRF ZV2Ks of stock size.
Ry_der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 00:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I generally fill manufacturer recommended pressure + 10%. And top up the nitrogen every 2-3 months. In that period the tyres lose about 2-3 PSI i.e. an average of 1 PSI/month. That way I am always within a +/- 10% band of the recommended tyre pressure of 30 PSI.

I don't believe I will ever fill max pressure (tyre manufacturer specs) less 10%. The ride quality and contact patch will be compromised not to mention the impact on suspension and possibly other components.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th May 2017 at 00:35.
R2D2 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 12:52   #21
BHPian

Replace your tyre - Period. An extra 4-5 thousand rupees spent on the new tyre is any day better than a much higher amount spent for auto insurance and God forbid, any hospitalization charges! Don't risk a blowout on highways.
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I am planning on driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad later this month, and I want to make sure its safe (the tyre shop guys told me it shouldn't be an issue).
I have suffered a blow out on the highway and its bloody dangerous. If I were you, I'd replace that tyre in a heartbeat. Not worth the risk.
Yusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:21   #23
Sip
BHPian

Quote:

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I am planning on driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad later this month, and I want to make sure its safe (the tyre shop guys told me it shouldn't be an issue
Please change the tyre at the earliest. Matter ends right here. Tyre cost is well affordable but we can ill afford the cost of lives and limbs!
Sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Replace your tyre - Period. An extra 4-5 thousand rupees spent on the new tyre is any day better than a much higher amount spent for auto insurance and God forbid, any hospitalization charges! Don't risk a blowout on highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Please change the tyre at the earliest. Matter ends right here. Tyre cost is well affordable but we can ill afford the cost of lives and limbs!
Agree with most BHPIans here. There are no two ways about your tyre condition. On highway, the stresses are higher due to faster movement of tyres and Hyd-Bangalore Road is going to have a lot of heat, especially in summer. Side walls, as many others said, are the weakest part of the tyre and it is absolutely worth the time, effort and money to change them. If you are worried about costs, go to the local tyre shop and get a used tyre as replacement. Alternatively, you could use the spare steel wheel and tyres for your drive.

But my strong advise is this - Change the tyre.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I was making a left turn while driving my Jazz the other day, and the rear wheel hit the kerb (it was abrupt edge of the kerb with sharp edges ). It caused a dent in my tyre. I am attaching the pictures below.......... this thread in appropriate forum if this is not the right one.
Personally speaking I had such a cut but half the depth of yours in my Innova front left tyre.

It happened just 500kms after my dad had got the tyres changed from stock Goodyear GT3s to Continentals. Hit a sharp rock while parallel parking and the sidewall got cut same as yours but half the depth and a little smaller in diameter. But I found the piece that got cut off and our tyre guy inspected the cut and glued the piece back. He assured us that he had seen people using with worser cuts and it shouldn't be an issue. Used that same tyre for another 52k KMS before changing my tyres again recently. But I stress again the cut on my tyre was very small compared to yours.

But all the while my cries to change the tyre fell on deaf ears. But I can tell you that it is not worth driving around with such a deep cut, even though your tyrewala sees it fit to be used. It is absolutely not worth the jittery feeling you get everytime you take your car out on the highway. Frankly I found peace only after changing the tyres recently.

Therefore I would advise you to change the tyre with the spare. Get it mounted on the same alloy and you can either dispose the damaged tyre and get a cheap tyre with same specs as a spare or use it as a spare for the time being.

Last edited by Shanksta : 4th May 2017 at 13:43.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Still I am not convinced about the derivation of the max PSI indication by tyre manufacturer as they dont know the vehicle weight beforehand while manufacturing the tyre. I think they consider the maximum load and speed ratings (imagine old ford fiesta and Tiago having same MAX PSI ratings as they share the tyre size(175*65-14) with a weight difference of appx 200 KG)
In general limit pressure (for end customer) is decided by the OEs and not tire manufacturer. OEs derive at the max PSi considering several factors including vehicle mass, braking, ride & handling, FE, etc. No wonder 2 different cars with different mass has same tire size with same pressure.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:44   #27
BHPian

No point even discussing this - please go and change the tyre ASAP. You may be a city user driving in bumper to bumper traffic (Bangalore) always and you may want to justify continuing this tyre but you will never know when you will have to head out the open highways and then this is recipe for a blow out - my parents were involved in one and by Gods grace they survived but the car went out of control, took a nasty hit and spent 3L to repair. So its simple you spend 6-8k INR now and change it or you will definitely regret not changing the tyre.
The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
He assured us that he had seen people using with worser cuts and it shouldn't be an issue. Used that same tyre for another 52k KMS before changing my tyres again recently.

But all the while my cries to change the tyre fell on deaf ears. But I can tell you that it is not worth driving around with such a deep cut, even though your tyrewala sees it fit to be used. It is absolutely not worth the jittery feeling you get everytime you take your car out on the highway. Frankly I found peace only after changing the tyres recently.

Therefore I would advise you to change the tyre with the spare. Get it mounted on the same alloy and you can either dispose the damaged tyre and get a cheap tyre with same specs as a spare or use it as a spare for the time being.
Sanchari, change the tyre as mentioned by others in the thread and above. No matter how many tyrewalas vouch for the "road worthiness" of the damaged tyre you know that its not safe. Tyre walas may have seen people using damaged tyres but - 1) not everybody drives the same, 2) not every damage/cut is the same and 3) not every road is the same. So damaged tyre is always an "unknown".
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 14:14   #29
BHPian

I had exact same damage in my Innova. I made the tyre as spare by adding tube. Bought a new tyre and fixed it to the front. There were occasions when I had driven in spare for 100kms and had no issues.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 14:42   #30

I too had a similar incident with my swift tyre. After a few hundred km, the tyre started bulging out in that area. Immediately replaced the tyre.
So It the best option is to go ahead and replace the tyre.
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote