Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd July 2017, 15:42   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Rationale behind the 'recommended' Tyre Pressure?

Honda City recommends 32 psi front and 35 psi back when fully loaded. I use them as guides only and on long journeys with full load I go for 34 psi all round and for city runs with less load for 32 psi. Initially, I felt the ride in the Honda to be a little 'stiff' as compared to my old gen Elantra, with time I have gotten used to it.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Maruti recommends a 31F and 29F behind for 185/70/R14 for the Swift Diesel, since I Michelin's in the said size shod on my car, using this tyre pressure makes the Swift feel like Hulk is pressing it from top, steering is heavy, acceleration is slow and steering response is lethargic. I have been filling 36F and 34F rear since years now and the car just feels fantastic. Cornering is super sharp, acceleration is brisk, when on roads like the Kasara Ghats or the Ghats before Lonavala, you would never want them to end is how the road holding is, its perfect.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
since I Michelin's in the said size shod on my car, using this tyre pressure makes the Swift feel like Hulk is pressing it from top, steering is heavy, acceleration is slow and steering response is lethargic. I have been filling 36F and 34F rear since years now and the car just feels fantastic. Cornering is super sharp, acceleration is brisk
Manufacturer's spec is derived from a different set of tires which are harder (in most cases) and when using tires with softer compound (like Michelin) it is always better to go with a little higher pressure than the OE spec.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:26   #19
BHPian

This is the recommended levels for Maruti Ignis:
Name:  WhatsApp Image 20170616 at 7.23.20 PM.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  49.7 KB

Wonder why the relatively lighter petrol needs 4PSI more at the front. I'm not sure if the owner's manual has more detailed info with respect to the load.

For Baleno, Maruti recommends 29PSI all around for both tyre sizes.

Can someone shed some light on why there's such a wide gap for Ignis, esp for the petrol

Last edited by BigBrad : 2nd July 2017 at 23:29.
BigBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:26   #20
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Requirements: 1) Infra red temperature measuring gun or a 100 degree Celsius mercury thermometer, 2)a lot of patience 3)Nearly even road temperature for the period of the test which will be about three weeks at the bare minimum.

Travel each day on the same route at roughly the same road speed and car and passenger weight. Road temperature should roughly be the same.

Measure temps at end of journey at a certain tire pressure starting from manufacturer suggested pressure. Keep increasing by a point each day and log the readings at the end of the journey.

There will be a certain pressure after which the temp readings will remain more or less the same. That is your tire pressure most suited for your car and driving style. Each tire compound will have different thresholds. Loads in the car too will change the temps and so does road temps and how hard your foot is on the controls including hands on the steering.

Use the tire pressure that is the threshold for negligible change in temperature.

Example if after tire pressure 35psi in the front further increase in pressures did not change the temp readings at end of journey then 35 is the optimum pressure for that particular tire and car.

As an example I took three weeks to get at the right pressures for the Michelin 3st tires for the Cruze. It is 35 in the front and 33 in the rear. For spirited driving it is 36 in the front and 33 at the rear. This is with single passenger. With two adults inthe front and four adults in the rear( tight squeeze) and luggage on a long journey 37 is the figure for the rear. Though that figure is not accurate since I should have done this test over at least 10 days to get accurate readings. I am not going to get that load consecutively over 10 days but 37 was the pressure needed to equal the temperatures in the front tires. The front tires needed 37 to keep temps in check.

You need a heck of a lot of patience and I do. 4 years ago my daily office trip was 53 km one way and coming to 106 total.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd July 2017 at 23:29.
drpullockaran is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Its running around 30psi in the back and 33 psi in the front for 175/65 R14 (higher variant)
Fyi, the tyre dimension and recommended pressure is identical with the eCS CR4 variant
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote