Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 18:31   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Few days back my Safari developed puncture in tubeless tyre in steel rim (Rear Left). Pressure going down to 16 - 18 PSI in a week. I went to Tyre Empire in Whitefield, Bangalore and they inspected and found one screw pierced into tyre and pressure was leaking.

They repaired puncture using "Mushroom Puncture" technique. It is mushroom type of rubber sticker. Hope this puncture works in long run.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:24   #152
BHPian
 
greatpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 118
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

I had changed the tubed tyres on my seven year old Palio to tubeless tyres (on rims) around an year back. There have been a couple of occassions when we found the tyres were totally flat, usually after we woke up in morning.

Now this time, there was no puncture - it seems that the tyre had left the rim because of low pressure. The mechanic tried his best but the rim was slighly bent at couple of places and it just wouldn't stick. Tried three tyre shops and ended up buying the tubes for the same tyres.
greatpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:34   #153
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 184
Thanked: 136 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

I changed to tubeless on both my 2005 Zen with Apollo. I showed signs on leak on one wheel, but turned out to be a faulty neck and not to do with the rims :-)
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 14:37   #154
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,758 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
They repaired puncture using "Mushroom Puncture" technique. It is mushroom type of rubber sticker. Hope this puncture works in long run.
Mushroom is what Michelin recommends as being the best.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 10:43   #155
BHPian
 
VikrantD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thane
Posts: 90
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

I dont know if I am in the right thread....My Chevy Spark tyres are due for a replacement. I had hit a major pothole last monsoon and the rear rim bent with the impact. The local tyre guy hammered it straight ...

My Question: Should I consider changing the steel rims before upgrading the tyres? Or should I just change the tyres and not bother about the rims?

The car has done 43000+ kms and still going strong !!!. Valuable suggestions appreciated. Please quote this post as I will get a notification to read it.
VikrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 12:05   #156
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,758 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

@VikrantD; I would not bother. If your rims are in a decent shape, then at most tyre tyre shop will have to straighten the rims, for which all the better ones have the equipment.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:09   #157
BHPian
 
Marlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

My 4 yr old Indica Xeta with 31K on the odo needs a tyre replacement. My current stock rims are not in best shape according to me. I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.

Suggestion Required :

Option 1 : New Steel Rims with Tubeless .

Concorde Motors in Chennai is quoting Rs 780 per rim. If Changing to a new rims will give me peace of mind I am willing to spend that extra money

Option 2 : Straighten and Repaint the existing rims and move to tubeless

Option 3 : Continue with existing rims and replace with Tubed Tyres

P.S: Alloys are out of my budget now.
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:18   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Option 1 is best but it costs money
Option 2 is what I had done but I didn't have optio 1 available for my Matiz
Option 3 is cheapest but you will have disadvantages of tubed tyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
My 4 yr old Indica Xeta with 31K on the odo needs a tyre replacement. My current stock rims are not in best shape according to me. I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.

Suggestion Required :

Option 1 : New Steel Rims with Tubeless .

Concorde Motors in Chennai is quoting Rs 780 per rim. If Changing to a new rims will give me peace of mind I am willing to spend that extra money

Option 2 : Straighten and Repaint the existing rims and move to tubeless

Option 3 : Continue with existing rims and replace with Tubed Tyres

P.S: Alloys are out of my budget now.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 17:03   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
... I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.
...
Option 1 : New Steel Rims with Tubeless .
Option 2 : Straighten and Repaint the existing rims and move to tubeless
Option 3 : Continue with existing rims and replace with Tubed Tyres
The rust could be superficial. Try unmounting the tyre from the rim and get the rim cleaned using a steel brush and then probably apply one or two coats of anti-rust primer to it (the tyre repair shop should be able to do this).

Whatever happens (i.e. new rims or old ones) try and go tubeless.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 20:34   #160
BHPian
 
Marlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The rust could be superficial. Try unmounting the tyre from the rim and get the rim cleaned using a steel brush and then probably apply one or two coats of anti-rust primer to it (the tyre repair shop should be able to do this).

Whatever happens (i.e. new rims or old ones) try and go tubeless.
Spoke with few tyre dealers in Chennai . Couple of them have steel rims. Raja Tyres of Chennai told he has heavy duty steel rims which is Rs100 more than OEM rims. He will check the existing rims and if required only new rims can be bought.
Any idea on what these heavy duty rims mean ?
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 12:51   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Any idea on what these heavy duty rims mean ?
Nope. I have only heard of the steel rims and the alloys, the steel ones being the heavier ones. Please note, the rims shouldn't be heavier than the OE spec, because that too can cause problems. They could put some undue strain on your suspension and steering components, leading to premature wear and tear. Try and stick to OE specifications or alloys, but go to a repuated or trusted shop.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 13:01   #162
BHPian
 
Marlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Nope. I have only heard of the steel rims and the alloys, the steel ones being the heavier ones. Please note, the rims shouldn't be heavier than the OE spec, because that too can cause problems. They could put some undue strain on your suspension and steering components, leading to premature wear and tear. Try and stick to OE specifications or alloys, but go to a repuated or trusted shop.
I was told that the New Indica eV2 rims are stronger than Xeta rims and dealer is trying to arrange for it. Let me see that first and then take a decision.

Also am delaying my tyre replacement by a week since XM2 has been launched for other sizes and dealer delivery is supposed to happen over the next few days.
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 13:18   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
My 4 yr old Indica Xeta with 31K on the odo needs a tyre replacement. My current stock rims are not in best shape according to me. I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.

Suggestion Required :

Option 1 : New Steel Rims with Tubeless .

Concorde Motors in Chennai is quoting Rs 780 per rim. If Changing to a new rims will give me peace of mind I am willing to spend that extra money

Option 2 : Straighten and Repaint the existing rims and move to tubeless

Option 3 : Continue with existing rims and replace with Tubed Tyres

P.S: Alloys are out of my budget now.
Option 3 should not be considered at all. It is just not worth it. A tubed tyre is especially a risk when you are driving long distances, especially at any kind of speed.

Option 2 is cheaper than option 1, especially if the rims don't need too much work. Have a trusted mechanic or tyre guy look at it. They will need to remove the rust and then put anti rust primer or paint on the tyre. Be careful that it is only surface rust. If it is quite a lot of rust it may be better to invest in new rims, especially if you intend to keep the car for a few more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Spoke with few tyre dealers in Chennai . Couple of them have steel rims. Raja Tyres of Chennai told he has heavy duty steel rims which is Rs100 more than OEM rims. He will check the existing rims and if required only new rims can be bought.
Any idea on what these heavy duty rims mean ?
Am guessing it means a rim with a thicker gauge of steel. Please check how heavy the rims are as the heavier a rim is, the more beefed up the suspension and steering components need to be to handle it well. A small weight differential should not matter but a large one will.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:23   #164
BHPian
 
Marlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Thanks for all your suggestions. I went ahead with OE rims costing Rs 750 with XM1+

What a drastic improvement in handling. Yet to figure out the other benfits.
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 12:58   #165
BHPian
 
aroop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 125
Thanked: 19 Times
Cool Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
I had changed the tubed tyres on my seven year old Palio to tubeless tyres (on rims) around an year back. There have been a couple of occassions when we found the tyres were totally flat, usually after we woke up in morning.

Now this time, there was no puncture - it seems that the tyre had left the rim because of low pressure. The mechanic tried his best but the rim was slighly bent at couple of places and it just wouldn't stick. Tried three tyre shops and ended up buying the tubes for the same tyres.
I am facing a similar problem . I purchased JK Tornado tubeless and got them fitted on the existing steel rims of my Wagon R, but been facing similar issues. Is it really possible to have tubes inside the tubeless tyres and live peacefully? (my OEM tubed MRFs lasted 47k / 5 years with just 3 punctures). And if so, do I need to perform alignment / balancing again?
aroop is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Steel wheels/rims better than alloys? esteem_lover Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 49 15th December 2015 17:15
13"x 5J pressed steel rims needed kpzen Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 33 28th October 2010 12:58
What to do with stock steel rims? RX135 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 1st February 2008 22:00
Most Wanted!!! Ikon Steel Rims!!! danlalan Shifting gears 0 13th November 2006 00:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks