Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 6th November 2015, 11:50   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

I got the pressure in my tires checked today and a minor puncture was found in the front right tire near the sidewall area. Please have a look at the photographs and see whether this repair job is safe or the tire needs to be scrapped. This is a new tyre used for 8000kms only.

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20151106_113950.jpg

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20151106_113948.jpg

Last edited by bullrun87 : 6th November 2015 at 11:57.
bullrun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 12:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I got the pressure in my tires checked today and a minor puncture was found in the front right tire near the sidewall area. Please have a look at the photographs and see whether this repair job is safe or the tire needs to be scrapped. This is a new tyre used for 8000kms only.
As far as my knowledge goes - and I have had a sidewall puncture on one of my tyres as well - sidewall punctures cannot be repaired. Please replace the tyre ASAP, it is simply not safe to drive with that puncture.

Did you, by any chance, hit a rut/pothole recently?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 12:39   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
As far as my knowledge goes - and I have had a sidewall puncture on one of my tyres as well - sidewall punctures cannot be repaired. Please replace the tyre ASAP, it is simply not safe to drive with that puncture.

Did you, by any chance, hit a rut/pothole recently?
I believe I did hit a pothole at some speed yesterday.
Is this the sidewall of the tyre or the shoulder? My tyre guy said the puncture was minor and in the shoulder not the sidewall. According to him the repair will hold up nicely. I do a lot of highway runs that's why I am so concerned about this tyre.
Old 6th November 2015, 13:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I believe I did hit a pothole at some speed yesterday.
Is this the sidewall of the tyre or the shoulder? My tyre guy said the puncture was minor and in the shoulder not the sidewall. According to him the repair will hold up nicely. I do a lot of highway runs that's why I am so concerned about this tyre.
Shoulder repairs are likely to hold, but marginal. If you go through the rest of this thread, there are instances of shoulder punctures giving way unexpectedly and suddenly as well.

If the puncture repair is holding up OK, you could keep this tyre as a spare only. Do not compromise on tyre safety at all, especially since you say you do a lot of highway runs.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 16:25   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Shoulder repairs are likely to hold, but marginal. If you go through the rest of this thread, there are instances of shoulder punctures giving way unexpectedly and suddenly as well.

If the puncture repair is holding up OK, you could keep this tyre as a spare only. Do not compromise on tyre safety at all, especially since you say you do a lot of highway runs.
I am thinking of putting this tire in the boot. All my tires are about 8000kms old and the current spare is already badly patched up . Do u think using a brand new tyre with a 8000 kms old tire is a bad idea? I mean the tread depths will be different.
Old 7th November 2015, 09:18   #96
BHPian

My two cents bullrun, you can put a heat patch. It is quite safe; I have put it in one of my tyres since 5000km without any niggles. If you are in bangalore then try tyremaster at minerva circle. He is one of the best and has been there long enough.
sumzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 10:38   #97
BHPian

@bullrun87
As KiloAlpha says this is a shoulder puncture, and not a side wall one. Get it repaired and use it, many times the plugs sets fully after a run, the tyre has to heat up and cool down to grip it properly. If you just keep it as a spare it may not set and leak again.
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 10:50   #98
BHPian

Hello BHPians, I have a query regarding damage to the sidewall of a tubeless tyre. Recently I discovered a minor cut on the sidewall, measured its depth and found it to be approximately 1mm deep. The tyre specifications are 165 /80 R14 (MRF ZV2K), currently installed on front left side of a Swift Dzire Vxi. What should be the further course of action, will it be safe to continue using it or should it be positioned on either of the rear sides or better still should be kept as a spare? Please advise.

Here is the photograph
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-20151129_091302.jpg
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-20151129_083727.jpg

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 29th November 2015 at 10:53.
ssambyal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 09:00   #99
BHPian

Hi sambyal, pls refer my earlier post on Nov 07 for more details. Hope it helps and happy motoring
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 17:04   #100
BHPian

Default Re: Correlation between Punctures & Tyre Life?

I personally had a similar horrible experience around an year back. I had returned to India after completing an International deputation abroad and I did not have the official parking alloted to me that time which was in progress. I parked my Honda Brio nearby to my office (road side) surrounded by other cars. To my surprise when I returned I found all tyres of my car were punctured intentionally and the same for few other cars parked in the vicinity. I had to get it towed using a flat bed truck. When I got the punctures repaired the next day - there were total 26 punctures (7 each front wheels + 6 each rear wheels) and all on the side walls. They were punctured using a hot thick pin. And the tyres had run just 16K KMS. I got them repaired at fixed price for 2100 bucks. Though the puncture repair guy had done an excellent job repairing them as since then I have not even got an additional puncture on them and on top of that none of the tyres lost any air since then. I am currently running on MRF ZVTV. Now the ODO reading is 47K and I am planning for an upgrade inspite that it can still run 7K more. But I have lost confidence on the tyres and I have limited my speed always to initial triple digits only which is also very risky. I am now preferring XM2 185/65 R14 or 195/60 R14 for a silent ride. Size is just what I have to zero'ed down to.
SpoiledBratt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote