Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th April 2018, 14:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Four's a wheelie, Five's a waste : Is a matching spare wheel a necessity?

As an owner and a driving enthusiast I don't like to compromise on one thing I love the most i.e. "Driving". I don't want to be robbed off my driving pleasure and peace of mind due to some stupid cost saving measure and have a contraption called space saver in my boot, it hardly makes any difference whatsoever in terms of space or weight. Also if my car came with alloy wheels then I would like the spare wheel to be full size alloy wheel as well. I am happy to pay the money and get the same OEM full size alloy wheel instead of a steel wheel.

Like someone mentioned a spare wheel is like insurance which is there for unforeseen circumstances and situations beyond our control. I keep my cars for a minimum of 7-8 years hence would not like to run around to find an old model alloy wheel if one of my alloy wheel gets damaged. I would even go to the extent of throwing away/exchanging the spare steel wheel with OEM alloy wheel by paying extra. But if there is no provision to fit in a full size alloy wheel in the boot area due to space saver like BMW then I would drop the idea of buying that car altogether.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 15:51   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Four's a wheelie, Five's a waste : Is a matching spare wheel a necessity?

I'd go with 4. Reason being, I hardly ever go for long drives. So I'm ok with using the space saver for a while. My Alto, i10 and Celerio all got upgraded to alloys and upsized tyres. In all 3 cases the spare remained the original. The rapid came with 4 Alloys and a space saver. The X1 came with 4 alloys and run flats plus a space saver. The Uno and Petra had full sized spares. The Uno never got alloys and the Petra had 4 but the spare was a full sized steel rim. Like some one pointed out the Safari had 5 alloys but those were required due to the spare being outside.
So I'm quite comfortable with 4 alloys. However I do agree with those who want 5. Their usage is different from mine and it makes sense for 5 alloys or at least a same sized spare.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 16:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

How many times does the average Joe have a problem with a wheel/ alloy? Most of us would just be ok with a spare tyre that can quickly replace the flat tyre. So ideally we could do with a spare tyre, an inflator unit and no spare wheel.

Whenever I need a spare wheel, I should be able to source it. However, Mr. Murphy is always around the corner...
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 16:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Also if my car came with alloy wheels then I would like the spare wheel to be full size alloy wheel as well. I am happy to pay the money and get the same OEM full size alloy wheel instead of a steel wheel.
Problem is, your wheel well won't accommodate the larger spare. I have experienced this and with the alloy in the boot, the floor is unable to remain flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Beats me mate, what do the car manufacturers achieve by shaving off a few mm's of wheel well area by giving a steel wheel instead of a full size alloy wheel if my car comes with all 4 alloy wheels.
Its possible the same mm's saved are used to increase the leg room / seat size or the passenger area if I were to take a guess. With a sub 4m car, even a few mm's here and there mean a lot.

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th April 2018 at 16:54.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 16:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Problem is, your wheel well won't accommodate the larger spare. I have experienced this and with the alloy in the boot, the floor is unable to remain flat.
Beats me mate, what do the car manufacturers achieve by shaving off a few mm's of wheel well area by giving a steel wheel instead of a full size alloy wheel if my car comes with all 4 alloy wheels. I can understand about the cost savings for steel wheel but what about those few mm's due to which the wheel well is not able to accommodate a full size alloy wheel .

In both my cars I have used they came with full size wheels. One car had all steel wheels of same size another car had all alloy wheels of same size.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 16:46   #36
BHPian

Well, going strictly by the question, No. Not a necessity at all, but highly desirable to have a full size spare. And desirable even more, to have continuity - if 4 wheels are alloys, 5th should be too.

What is a necessity though, is to have space in the boot to accommodate a full size alloy wheel. This way, those who need, may fit in the full size wheel by replacing the space saver without compromising on the boot space.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 20:06   #37
BHPian

One important point that I'd like to bring forward is how often we check our spare tires? I have a 3 year old Mobilio which has had several punctures but always repaired and thus spare has never been used. As far as I know the tire has the same air that was filled in the factory. The reason for this is that to check air in the spare, the boot has to be opened and the wheel chain lowered and the tire extracted before it can be checked. The wheel cannot be placed upside down either allowing for easy air filling.
Although in my Alto, air checking is easier, I don't believe I've done it more than once a year. The air fillers in bunks at Bangalore are an overworked lot and frown if they have to spend an extra minute to fill the spare tire.
In my 2008 Honda city, the spare is in the boot, but it's upside down. It cannot be fitted with the valve facing upwards. So again the spare has to be removed to fill air.
I'm not sure about other cars, but I guess it is a cumbersome and impractical thing to fill air in the spare. Also I'm sure spare is not replaced every 5 years by most people.
The point I'm trying to make is that how many of you guys who think a spare is an absolute necessity actually take care of your spare?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 12:04   #38
BHPian

For me, the spare tyre is as essential as the steering wheel. I wouldn't dare venture out without it. This hidden, ignored, neglected and very often forgotten tyre is a savior on Indian roads. My spare is fed enough air once a month and is taken out and inspected for damage/puncture every 5,000 kms.

While on the topic, it wouldn't perhaps be wrong to refer to a video that presents an interesting use of the ubiquitous fifth wheel - as an accessory for parallel parking and to assist in making those tight turns.

Last edited by dailydriver : 9th May 2018 at 12:09.
dailydriver is online now   Reply With Quote