Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 4th January 2007, 19:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Question Tyre Pressure for Viva CRDI

Company recommends 30 psi for all 4 tyres for my viva crdi and thats what i keep.

However, i want to know from experts if we should inflate it differently on different situations? Can somebody throw some light on this aspect?

My car has run 5K kms in 3 months and the average that i get is not that respectable, still around 13kmpl in city with AC mostly off and highway FE is about 16KMPL which is also quite disappointing, for all those tall claims from the company. I see new verna owners talking on tbhp about getting 24kmpl which i find quite hard to beileve

a) Does tyre pressure to be changed while driving in city and highway? If yes, what is the ideal pressures and why?

Tks
Mobike008
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 19:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

I normally maintain 28psi on 70 profile tyres. Great ride and comfort.

My usual practice is to reduce pressure to 26psi for highway driving. Keeping margin for tyre expansion due to heat.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 19:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
My usual practice is to reduce pressure to 26psi for highway driving. Keeping margin for tyre expansion due to heat.
Hmmm..this is contradictory to what others are saying. Please see this thread the latest comment on the same

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...rs-lately.html (Tyre pressure, have you checked yours lately?)
Old 4th January 2007, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have read that thread before. But this is a very highly debatable matter for which arguments from both sides have been going on for very long now. I have suffered a bad tyre and tube burst in my previous car and hence this precautionary measure. The bursting might have happened due to a weak tube but nevertheless precaution is always better than cure. Now I dont do anything for highway driving as I use nitrogen with tubeless tyres. So run the same pressure for both highways and city use.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 20:19   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
a) Does tyre pressure to be changed while driving in city and highway? If yes, what is the ideal pressures and why?
You have touched upon a very controversial topic and many different opinions have been expressed even here in T-BHP. I would suggest that you stick to the car manufacturer's recommendation in city -- that is fairly uncontroversial. For highway, if you plan to do extended high-speed driving (like on an Expressway), then I would recommend that you take a look at Bridgestone India's recommendation at the following link:

Bridgestone Tyre, Indian Tyre Industry

Click on "Be a safe driver. Tips for high speed driving" in the above link. Bridgestone India recommends that you increase tyre pressures by 5 psi above the car manufacturer's recommendation for high speed driving. I personally keep 34 psi (against Hyundai's recommended 30 psi) for my Santro during high-speed highway drives (Pune-Mumbai) and am comfortable with this -- my tyres are at present stock-size and tubeless.

For your car (viva crdi), it is best to see what the owners have to say about using higher pressures. I would definitely recommend an increase in tyre pressure if you plan to do *sustained* high speed driving, say maybe for an hour or more. But in any case *never* set your tyre pressures below the car manufacturer's recommendation, except maybe in exceptionally slippery conditions like snow or dirt tracks.

Here is what my Hyundai (Santro) manual has to say about tyres:

Quote:
The tyres supplied on your new Hyundai are chosen to provide the best performance for normal driving.

In modern high-speed motoring, correct tyre pressures are vitally important. Incorrect pressures can reduce adhesion, affect the steering, and cause excessive tyre wear. Check the tyre pressures before you start a trip, when the tyres are cold. ...
The recommended pressures of 30 psi follow the above quote, so Hyundai does not seem to recommend higher pressures for high speed driving, at least for the Santro. I prefer to go by the tyre manufacturer's recommendation, but that is my personal preference.

I would suggest you check out your manual also, just to see what Hyundai has to say for the Viva Crdi.

Last edited by rks : 4th January 2007 at 20:20.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 21:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mobike - A few things for your knowledge

1. A car engine usually gives out its best performance after running for 10k & getting through its first 2-3 services. I would suggest wait till your car has run 10k before thinking about your likeage figures. And anyways 13-16kmpl in a diesel car is pretty good! (Infact Elf would love it if his 3-cylinder Lancer gave out such figures )

2. If a tyre is inflated up or below the recommended pressure by 1-2 psi then it's hardly a problem & most certainly will not reflect in a gain or loss of 1-2kmpl in your FE. Correct tyre pressure is advisable but it certainly does not make a huge difference in the FE of a vehicle. Sure it is a contributing factor but in a very small percentage not something that can affect it by 1-2 kmpl or a significant number.

I would suggest you stick to the recommended pressure but if you feel the ride to be hard, bouncy & stiff then go down the scale 1psi at a time until you feel the ride comfortable. Similarly if you feel the steering wheel is too heavy or the suspension/tyres are taking a beating due to low tyre pressure then go up in 1psi increments until you're comfortable.

If you're running on stock Viva CRDi tyres i.e. 175/70 R13 I would recommend a pressure of 28-32 psi depending upon what you feel most comfortable with.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 00:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Alright, I use 32-34psi, depending on the number of people in the car for highway driving. The car manages around 18kmpl.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 14:23   #8
BHPian

[quote=vikram_d;348288]I normally maintain 28psi on 70 profile tyres. Great ride and comfort.

My usual practice is to reduce pressure to 26psi for highway driving. Keeping margin for tyre expansion due to heat.[/QUOTE

Pressure has nothing to do with aspect ratio. Manafacturers recommendation is to be followed for safe driving.
sn48001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 16:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

@RKS, thanks for the link, it surely is quite helpful to read bridgestones guidelines. I am running on stock tyres ( 175/70R 13) and never till date changed the tyre pressure ( kept it 30psi) irrespective of city or highway driving.

I too had a santro before this for 3.5 years and did the same, 30psi both situations but those were my non tbhp days

@ Iraghava, i agree with our point that we should let the engine completely bed in. but, come on 5k is enough time for it to have bed in properly and give its real mileage. If you point is correct, then how come brand new Verna owners are claiming such ridiculously high FE figures?????

anyways, i will change the tyre pressure between 28psi to 32psi and see the difference and report back.
Old 5th January 2007, 17:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@ Iraghava, i agree with our point that we should let the engine completely bed in. but, come on 5k is enough time for it to have bed in properly and give its real mileage. If you point is correct, then how come brand new Verna owners are claiming such ridiculously high FE figures?????
Well for the record I also remember Honda & some users mentioning that their NHC gives 20-22kmpl on the highway when it was newly launched!! How many people are saying the same now?

Verna is a new car & people try & convince others of their choice by giving a myriad of reasons including misquoting figures. Don't be disheartened by it I'm sure your FE will improve with a little more running. Also just for a fact my close friend bought a Verna on my insistence & he's getting about 16-17 on the highway. Now that is a realistic figure!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 18:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

keep tyre pressure stock and dont worry even after couple of hundred kms of highway blast in summer the psi figure wont go scaling much from recommended, caution if its way low, in which case it can cause excess heat especially in tubed tyres due to friction and cause tyre burst n all especially in a older tyre

logic of bridgestone suggesting higher pressure might be to off set it more towards ideal pressure for the tyre from the manufacture recommended which might be a compromise for better ride, my guess

over and above please make sure the guage which you depend is a good one, local shops sometimes have very faulty read outs, best use digital guages available at newer gas stations or from a reputed tyre dealer
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote