Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2007, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Sports Alloy Wheels from the USA

I am looking at Importing Alloy wheels from the US, typically Designs that don't sell here, most of the stuff that comes in India is from Taiwan, Malaysia , Bangkok etc which are models which sell in numbers but there is a niche for bigger rims also and I remember seeing a lot of companies in the US selling rims that i don't see here at all.
I am not looking at purchasing based on big brand names with huge pricetags, it just has to be durable and has to look neat above all.
So anyone any Ideas ? links ?

I checked eBay and the stuff is not great that sells on eBay US.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th February 2007, 09:24   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I am looking at Importing Alloy wheels from the US, typically Designs that don't sell here, most of the stuff that comes in India is from Taiwan, Malaysia , Bangkok etc which are models which sell in numbers but there is a niche for bigger rims also and I remember seeing a lot of companies in the US selling rims that i don't see here at all.
I am not looking at purchasing based on big brand names with huge pricetags, it just has to be durable and has to look neat above all.
So anyone any Ideas ? links ?

I checked eBay and the stuff is not great that sells on eBay US.

Hi Blueraven,

First it depends on your budget. I purchased a set of 5 alloy wheels from Performance Alloys, UK. They are delears for a number of good brands and have a wide choice with different price tags depending on your budget. I purchased a set of OZ Racing alloy wheels which is one of the premium brands in the world. Eventhough it cost me a bomb, i could'nt think of settling for anything less for my car. Incase you are curious about the price, i paid 650 pounds for a set of 5 wheels (15") including shipping charges and another Rs. 42000/- for custom clearance here in Mumbai. Yes its a huge amount so think about it before you plan on importing the rims. To me it was all worth it.

By the way, you can visit Performance Alloys.com - Alloy Wheels & Tyres From The Experts ! Car Alloy Wheels, Replica Wheels, Cheap Alloy Wheels to check out the choices. They are trust worthy as they give you the rims as per specification (right upgrade, PCD, Offset, etc) of your car which ensures no complications later. You can email Mr. William Murphy at sales@performancealloys.com and give him my reference. You should get sorted then.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 14:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Epic - You paid about 1L for a set of 15" OZ wheels You could have bought the same from the authorised dealer for OZ in India for half the cost.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 15:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Epic - You paid about 1L for a set of 15" OZ wheels You could have bought the same from the authorised dealer for OZ in India for half the cost.
True. But i just don't trust the guys here in India when it comes to imported stuff. I don't like taking a chance with when it comes to accessories like wheels because one wrong suggestion with the technicals and your car will be screwed to death.

Believe me, out here these guys don't give a damn abut your car. They suggest anything they feel like because they just wanna sell their product, even if they are selling imported products. I have been suggested to go upto even 17" wheels from an authorised dealer selling OZ Racing wheels. He did not have a clue about offset, PCD and other technical stuff with regard to upgrade of my wheels.

So i rather spend 1 lakh on my set of wheels purchased from abroad and sleep peacefully at night than pay half the ammount on the same set purchased from here and spend all my life (which im sure wil cover the cost of my car too) to rectifying a screwup.

Now, think again.

Epic
Old 9th February 2007, 15:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
True. But i just don't trust the guys here in India when it comes to imported stuff. I don't like taking a chance with when it comes to accessories like wheels because one wrong suggestion with the technicals and your car will be screwed to death.
True but if you're sure of what you're looking for you can do the hard work for the dealer. Most of them don't have any knowledge but then you are not compelled to listen to them, ignore what he says if you find it incorrect & do what you think is right. 99 out of 100 times the dealer will be more than happy to oblige you.

If you know the correct PCD & Offset then ask him to provide you a set with the exact same specs & your teouble is solved. I don't see the problem with that, sure he might try pushing what he has in stock but if you're firm with your demand he'll eventually wilt.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 15:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

blueraven,

Call up this fella called Chip Foose- chaddi dosth of mine. He's pretty obscure, but has a decent collection similar to other accessory stores on JC Road. Also some unqiue designs. Tell him theMAG refered you to him.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 09:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
True but if you're sure of what you're looking for you can do the hard work for the dealer. Most of them don't have any knowledge but then you are not compelled to listen to them, ignore what he says if you find it incorrect & do what you think is right. 99 out of 100 times the dealer will be more than happy to oblige you.

If you know the correct PCD & Offset then ask him to provide you a set with the exact same specs & your teouble is solved. I don't see the problem with that, sure he might try pushing what he has in stock but if you're firm with your demand he'll eventually wilt.

Hi Raghava,

I totally agree with your suggestion above but i was absolutely blank about all the technicals with regard to the upgrading of wheels. I had asked a couple of so called experts here in Mumbai and everyone only mentioned about the PCD which is 100 for the Swift. No one ever mentioned about the offset and as said before even confidently suggested that i go in for 17" rims (as they will also cost higher than smaller rims) without keeping in mind the quality of roads here which would destroy my suspension totally. Would you believe that Vitesse, from where i purchased my car firstly advised against upgrading the wheels as it will void the warranty and i even know of a friend of mine who only wanted to upgrade his tyres and got it done on the recomendation and tyres specified and supplied from Vitesse itself. After taking delivery of his car, he had to change his wheel bearing thrice in 6 months as the tyres supplied were not as per specification.

Now, you tell me, if the car manufacturers themselves can make a mess of your vehicle, why should i trust anyone else? I did not know that one had to check something called 'offset' in order to change your rims. None of the alloy wheel dealers knew about it, even Vitesse had no clue about what i was talking about so they could not give me specifications. I had no choice but to investigate myself and get help from Performance Alloys. They were the ones who brought to my notice that the offset for the Swift should be preferably greater than 42. My wheels are having an offset of 43.

So now im convinced (and hope you are too) that my investment was without a doubt absolutely worth it!!!

Epic
Old 13th February 2007, 21:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Wow, a lakh rupees for a set of imported alloys on a " Swift" , thats what i call real passion.

No more comments !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:26   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Sports Alloy Wheels from the USA

Quote:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do we really have any dealer in India for OZ Racing?
nanu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 21:05   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Sports Alloy Wheels from the USA

If it's in Pune you're searching, it's Poona Motors at Pimpri and Audio Kraft at Rastapeth.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 11th April 2014 at 21:06.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote