Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th January 2008, 22:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

Get 185/60-13 tyres and HR/League 13" alloys..
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 22:11   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get 185/60-13 tyres and HR/League 13" alloys..
Thanks Prajesh. I reason for my query is because I didn't like the design in 13".
So you suggest not to upgrade it to 14" and get wider tyre in 13"
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 22:17   #108
Senior - BHPian

Since your car came with 13" wheels as stock, its better to stick to 13"...
I believe when u don't like any alloy design its mostly safe to go for a 5 spoke design.
Anyways choosing an alloy design is a subjective matter.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 10:48   #109

Hey I am having indica turbo which came with tyre 165/60-14 and I am thiking to change it to 195- 14" tyre. Can anyone suggest me whether this is advisable or not and what effect will it hae on the fuel economy.
crazyforspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 15:59   #110

Hey can anyone please suggest me any good and reliable brand for alloys of 14"... and also it will be great if I can suggest me a good dealer for the same in bangalore...
Old 28th January 2008, 18:56   #111
BHPian

Hey,there are many good & reliable brands out there.It all depends on your budget.You can try HR,its quite popular & not very expensive.
TARUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 11:54   #112

Hey Tarul, thanx alot for ur recomendation. Will look out for the same.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

the last time i was with the dealer for these after market alloys, Ashoka wheels in Hyderabad, i was shopping for my swift!

the dealer himself gave me the order of the strength of these alloys with the following brands in order
1. League
2. prestige
3. HR
4. Plati
5. lenso

and then others

he said the auras and neo were indian made and were made using tata steel and the heaviest and strongest and not recommended because they were way too heavy, other wise there was no other brand avaliable at these prices that had this kind of strength!

the lensos were not recommended because they were too light and were prone to damage if driven on bad roads constantly!

all these brands that i enquired were with in the price range of 25k for a set of 5, and 15inchers!

he said there were even tougher and better designs available at a higher price but i was done due to budget constraint, and finally put in michelin xmv8 rubbers!

all of these are as said by the dealer, and i finally picked up league set of 4 and yet to pick up the fifth!, well you see, he did convince, and i was impressed, do you guys have any thoughts on this?

forgot to mention he said that the league are the same company as the LG-brand, and did give me a warranty card that said LG!, along with league! will post the pictures soon!

Last edited by rider60 : 29th January 2008 at 22:54. Reason: typo error
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 10:39   #114
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post

he said the auras and neo were indian made and were made using tata steel
as far as i know alloy implies combination of two or more metals. In an alloy wheel alluminium is the major component along with magnesium. that is why they are some times called mag wheels. the dealer just bluffed because there is no steel in alloy wheels. Hindalco ( alluminium producer ) is manufacturer for Aura alloys. iam 100% sure it does not contain TATA steel.

Most of the imported stuff are from china and are made of chrome
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 00:55   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
as far as i know alloy implies combination of two or more metals. In an alloy wheel alluminium is the major component along with magnesium. that is why they are some times called mag wheels. the dealer just bluffed because there is no steel in alloy wheels. Hindalco ( alluminium producer ) is manufacturer for Aura alloys. iam 100% sure it does not contain TATA steel.

Most of the imported stuff are from china and are made of chrome

okay, well i just wanted to know is the other information disclosed by him true or did he bluff the whole thing? i mean the complete information i posted!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 12:26   #116
BHPian

Guys,

I have Neo alloys much reliabel than the chinese or tiwanese... desgins wise though may not have as much choice as the chines or tiwanes but sure does have good ones...
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 15:46   #117
BHPian

Default Plati - Quality issues??

Hi guys,
I went through this entire thread but still couldnt get a proper idea of the deal with quality when it comes to Plati rims. Most of the people I know get only Prestigue and swear by them. However, I like the designs on the Plati range and somehow they suit me economically better.
But Im still a little edgy on buying them, since well, people I know say they arent that great. Any opinions/advice?
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 13:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Ive been using Aura Alloys for the last few years - since 2005 on by Bolero and now in my Scorpio.
I find them to help a lot in stability, heat transfer while driving because they cool faster than steel and they are very very strong. They also dont rust and dont chip and scratch all that easily. Ive driven the Gudalur stretch on the Ooty to Mysore road as also the Coorg to Mysore roads several times at reasonable speeds in my Bolero and have never had any trouble despite the potholes on these roads.
I think that the salesman didnt know what he was talking about and it might have been that they make more money selling these imported or chinese made alloys because of the margins and the prices at which they import these, largely through the grey market.
The fact is, that Aura is made by Hindalco which is an Aditya Birla Group company and all Aura Wheels come with a ONE Year Guarantee. Indeed, Aura has OEM contracts with most of the big vehicle manufacturers in India including Mahindra's and Maruti etc.
None of the other "imported" brands have such a facility - this was told to me by the owner of a shop called SPROCKET in Bangalore and by a Wheel Alignment/ Balancing centre plus Wheel and Tyre Shop called MADHU's ENTERPRISES also in Bangalore.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
okay, well i just wanted to know is the other information disclosed by him true or did he bluff the whole thing? i mean the complete information i posted!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 00:50   #119
BHPian

Smile Alloys+tyres for santro

Guys,
I have a Santro, 2002 model.

The tires on it have done 40k kilometers and now the car needs new footwear.
I was thinking of getting alloys too along with the new rubber.

My budget is a maximum of 25k for the alloys and rubber put together. I hope to get the Michelin XM1s 165/65 13".

Could you suggest a reliable brand of alloys that fit my budget.
also could any of the hyderabad bhp-ians give me pointers as to any good dealers and any discounts if possible ?
maranellored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 01:59   #120
BHPian

Well, after the research that I have done in the past few months with searching alloys for my ford ikon, the thing that I've learnt is that if you are looking for 100PCD wheels then the "world is your playground". If your car has anything other than 100PCD, then you better not make a selection of wheels looking at designs online, rather go to the shops and she whats available for your car.

Cars with 100PCD can choose from brands and design.

I've used Lenso,OEM rims and AVA wheels and what I've noticed is that it not only depends on where your wheels are manufactured and the build quality, but depends on how you drive. I've seen people bend OZ rims and yeah a plenty of Lenso's, but its a good thing that these bends can be repaired.

Brands that I have checked and are available in the Bangalore market are:
1. Lenso
2. League
3. Plati
4. HR
5. BSA-- Indian and Malaysian
6. AVA
7. C Racing
8. Aura
9. Neo
10. Prestige
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote