Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2007, 00:43   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

If you have a set of 5 tyres - THE 5 TYRE ROTATION PATTERN will increase the life of each tyre because each is rested (spare)

I'd like to add to that. Since the front wheels wear out more on the outsides and the rear on the insides, wheel rotation has to be done every 5000 kms so that they wear out equally. Having the spare wheel in the rotation process increases the life as there are 5 participating tyres.

There is a requirement for wheel rotation, alignment and balancing. Even though experts have different opinions about 'when' it has to be done, they all definitely agree that these improve the grip and the life of the tyres.

So, it does make sense to have 5 alloy wheels, unless of course, you decide to rotate the tyres and not the wheels.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 02:00   #32
BHPian
 
swale84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 459
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Guys,

I think there's some confusion about the exact question.

The question is whether one should go for 4 or 5 'alloy' rims when upgrading from the stock rims.

As long as all 5 rims are the same size, i.e 13", 14" or whatever, and the same tyre size is being used on all 5 rims, how does it matter whether you have 4 allloy rims and one steel rim or all 5 alloy rims,

Yes, with 5 allloy rims, you can include your spare in your tyre rotation schedule without having to go through the procedure of mounting the tyre on one of your 4 alloy rims

Also, for the time that you do have to use your spare tyre, you wont compromise on the looks factor,

Other than these two points I dont see any compulsion in having to buy 5 alloy rims when upgrading.

Suhail
swale84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 10:54   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

"with 5 allloy rims, you can include your spare in your tyre rotation schedule without having to go through the procedure of mounting the tyre on one of your 4 alloy rims"

Exactly my point. It saves the hassle as the spare wheel can be directly used.

But, I also agree that it is not compulsory. If you're running short of cash, go ahead with 4!
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 10:31   #34
BHPian
 
jango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York & kotayam
Posts: 798
Thanked: 19 Times
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hey guys this might sound stupid but it helps. Carry a spare tube along in the trunk and in case if you feel stranded you can put this tube in the tubeless tyre. So what say issue resolved?
Infact i heard many people use tubes in tubeless tyres
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 23:26   #35
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 239 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Infact i heard many people use tubes in tubeless tyres
He didn't mean to say it as a regular practice,just in case of emergencies.In fact even I carry a butyl tube with me just in case the 195R14 t/l tyres happen to get a nasty gash which would be unrepairable with a t/l kit
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 23:51   #36
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
If you have a set of 5 tyres - THE 5 TYRE ROTATION PATTERN will increase the life of each tyre because each is rested (spare)

I'd like to add to that. Since the front wheels wear out more on the outsides and the rear on the insides, wheel rotation has to be done every 5000 kms so that they wear out equally. Having the spare wheel in the rotation process increases the life as there are 5 participating tyres.

There is a requirement for wheel rotation, alignment and balancing. Even though experts have different opinions about 'when' it has to be done, they all definitely agree that these improve the grip and the life of the tyres.

So, it does make sense to have 5 alloy wheels, unless of course, you decide to rotate the tyres and not the wheels.
I agree that it is better to spend the money on 5 alloys. But I don't agree with your reasoning. Tyres really don't need rest. The reason you want 5 wheels is just purely so that you don't get stuck somewhere. Otherwise a four-tyre rotation scheme is just as good and in fact, more convenient that a five-tyre scheme.

I did read (I think in a post by Ram in T-BHP) that the direction of rotation of radial tyres has to be maintained. So apparently you should switch tyres only on the same side, i.e. right-side tyres should remain on the right side. Or else you can take a right-side tyre off the wheel, swap its direction, mount it back and then put it on the left side of the car. Assuming my impression is correct.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 10:07   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

[quote=jango;378598]Hi Team-Bhpians..


Just wanted to find out what majority of Bhpian's do while picking up their set of alloys

1) Do you buy the whole set of 5 ( including the one for spare wheel ) OR

2) Just 4 of them.


For my BOLERO i had picked up all 5 coz the spare tyre was visible when mounted at the rear of the jeep...so moved in style...but what abt those who use alloys on there car ??

Hi Jango,

Always go for 5, whether it is in your car or jeep. Reasons being: -

1. In an event of a puncture, driving on 3 alloys and 1 steel rim will not only spoil the looks of the car but also disturb the dynamics of the vehicle. It will also give you time to repair the puncture as you will not have to do it on an urgent basis.
2. If you upgrade to a bigger rim....... what more can i say?
3. As mentioned by one of our bhpians, if you damage your alloy rim and find a replacement with the same design.....
4. Makes you look cheap. If u can spend a bomb on a fancy set of alloys, might as well buy 5!!!!

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 10:57   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I agree that it is better to spend the money on 5 alloys. But I don't agree with your reasoning. Tyres really don't need rest. The reason you want 5 wheels is just purely so that you don't get stuck somewhere. Otherwise a four-tyre rotation scheme is just as good and in fact, more convenient that a five-tyre scheme.

I did read (I think in a post by Ram in T-BHP) that the direction of rotation of radial tyres has to be maintained. So apparently you should switch tyres only on the same side, i.e. right-side tyres should remain on the right side. Or else you can take a right-side tyre off the wheel, swap its direction, mount it back and then put it on the left side of the car. Assuming my impression is correct.
your "same side rotation" is recommended only for directional tyres... not non directional tyres... they can be put on either side of wheel..see recommended methods by bridgestone
@#3#
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 13:32   #39
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

@Buffetfan, thanks for the info. I was referring to the following post by Ram:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post316701 (Tyre "Jump Maar Raha Hai"What does it mean)

Here Ram specifically mentions that only same-side rotation has to be done for radial tyres. But you can take a right-hand-side tyre and fit it on the left hand side and still maintain the direction of rotation if you also take care to pull the tyre off the rim and switch the direction before fitting back.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 17:56   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

ok most of the time i have seen people going for 4 alloys only. but i think one should go for 5 specially if one is upsizing. Dunno if i am right or wrong on this theory but i myself want to know about this so below is an example.

If i have 13" and i am upsizing to 14", i will have four 14" and one 13". Now one of my tyre gets flat, wouldn't there be any problem while driving with three 14" and one 13".

Thanks.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 18:13   #41
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
ok most of the time i have seen people going for 4 alloys only. but i think one should go for 5 specially if one is upsizing. Dunno if i am right or wrong on this theory but i myself want to know about this so below is an example.

If i have 13" and i am upsizing to 14", i will have four 14" and one 13". Now one of my tyre gets flat, wouldn't there be any problem while driving with three 14" and one 13".

Thanks.
What you say is right but the choice of going for only 4 alloys is wise if you have no plans to upgrade your tyres for a decent period of time, its but simple logic.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 18:17   #42
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
If i have 13" and i am upsizing to 14", i will have four 14" and one 13". Now one of my tyre gets flat, wouldn't there be any problem while driving with three 14" and one 13".
Better not to mount wheels/tyres of different sizes on the same axle. In fact my Hyundai manual explicitly warns against this plus even advises not to mount different tread patterns on the same axle. So if you plan to go in for 5 alloys, that is the best. Otherwise go for four alloys and also get a cheap steel rim of the same size as spare. Similarly you can get a second-hand tyre of the same size for the spare and exclude this tyre from the rotation scheme. Preferably your spare tyre should be of the same tread pattern as the other four. And you should drive slowly whenever your spare wheel is temporarily in action, till the regular alloy wheel is restored.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 20:43   #43
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What you say is right but the choice of going for only 4 alloys is wise if you have no plans to upgrade your tyres for a decent period of time, its but simple logic.
agree with you. But, in case of a puncture, alloy rims on spare tyres will definately be a safer option.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 11:43   #44
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 756
Thanked: 446 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Most cars abroad have a space saver spare tyre. This has a steel rim and the tyre width is about half of the normal tyres of the car. So all the logic given by those in favour of 5 alloys should be applicablr to these cars too. How come these cars are considered safe with the space saver. Remember the car comes from the factory with 4 alloys and the space saver spare. Of course the car has to be driven at 60 Km/h. So I think we can safetly go in for 4 alloys and upsized tyres and retain the original spare.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:33   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
karankapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in the car!!!
Posts: 1,679
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

i will say one should buy 4 alloys and keep the oe as the spare,in many cars you will not able to put the upsize tire in the spare wheel well.and the best part you save approx 5k on the fifth alloy and tyre
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Beautiful set of Wheels on Cars!! bivin The International Automotive Scene 244 29th June 2017 17:52
Alloy Wheels - Sai Mag Wheels (Rama Road Industrial Area) tsk13 Delhi NCR 37 30th December 2016 17:07
LED alloy wheels that can display virtually any image while you drive! Neo. Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 28 2nd May 2014 15:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks