Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 20th April 2009, 11:02   #46
Team-BHP Support

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Most cars abroad have a space saver spare tyre. This has a steel rim and the tyre width is about half of the normal tyres of the car. So all the logic given by those in favour of 5 alloys should be applicablr to these cars too. How come these cars are considered safe with the space saver.
There's a corporate term for this...umm..."cost-cutting" . As long as the spare wheel well can accomodate a full size alloy + tyre, that is the only way to go. I always buy my alloys in a set of 5.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 05:06   #47

How much does a set of good alloys cost 4 or maybe 5. I wanted to upgrade good ones not the shady shiny silver ones on my esteem?
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 11:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

it will cost you anything between 11k to 15k for set of 4 13".
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 14:05   #49
Default Re: Alloy Wheels : Does it make sense to invest in 'THAT' fifth alloy wheel?

Does it make sense to invest in that fifth alloy wheel since most hatchbacks and sedans these days are offering the spare as a full size steel wheel which cannot be used while regular rotation of tyres. Recently, we bought a new Elite i20 and I am thinking of buying an extra alloy wheel and adding the spare to the rotation sequence as well and keeping the steel rim as an insurance for any mishap with any alloy wheel in the future.

Economically too, it makes sense to me in a way that full use of spare in one or two sets of replacement tyres will cover the costs of new alloy wheel.

Any thoughts fellow BHPians?
sidhu_hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 20:32   #50
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Alloy Wheels : Do you buy in a set of 4 or 5?

I too got set of 4 neo alloys for my Hyundai Santro Xing. Firstly I was interested in getting set of 5. Even dealer had brought set of 5 from his inventory. But while fitting, the tire shop guy told that its not possible to fix the alloy fitted tire in the spare wheel boot scoop as in Santro Xing , the spare tire is placed with its outward section in contact with the car body and then is held in place with a plastic screw. Even if its fitted, the alloy with keep rubbing against the chasis and spoil it up.
So in the end just got set of 4.
Anyone getting set of 5 should definitely check the way spare wheel is fixed in boot. If it has arrangement like Santro, better go for 4. In case of SUV's it doesnt matters if the spare is fixed on rear hatch.In such cases it becomes a show stopper. And in case of SUV's with hidden spares it doesn't really matters.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote