Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th May 2007, 13:17   #16
BANNED

Congrats on your new set of rubber.

Why 32PSI on highways?? I think 30 is good for Alto in city and highways. I found it to be great in my Alto.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 13:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! Amongst all the tyre brands I have tried, Michelin has impressed the most. I truly believe that they offer the best rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thats my impression too. I have convinced quite a few people in my circle to get michelins over the bridgestones that are available here & they are all happy. Bridgestone believes in passing off very old series of tyres here in India whereas they have gone several notches ahead in the world market.
That is very true, right now the best tyres sold officially in India are Michelin's by a long margin, Yoko's are very good too but they are going to be officially available in a few month's time. Bridgestone on the other hand has some serious quality issues with some of its older treads (esp. the OE ones like the S322) and it's reputation is taking a down turn. Not to mention that their new treads have also been nothing to mention about. A lot of issues are turning out with people complaining of excessive road noise & sidewall cuts/bulges.

It seems that somehow they are going MRF's way of giving us rock hard tyres to make them last longer! But that is a problem in the attitude of the customers, so can't really blame them completely.

However, quite a few friends have switched over to Michelin & they have nothing but praise for the tyres and are extremely happy about them!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Abhi.
Why 32 psi ?
I think 28 or 30 is sufficient for Alto in city and highway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yesterday I saw an imported Bridgestone MY01, fantastic piece of rubber, but these are not available through bridgestone india, very sad.
Ya very good tyres ....Those are the new Potenza GIII sold outside India in the name of Sports touring MY 01 n have same GIII thread pattern with minor changes to the shoulder...

Last edited by kpzen : 9th May 2007 at 13:42.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ummmm Abhi look closely your sidewall is clearly marked "Outside" so no need of arrows.
Ya I know and I am pretty clear about the orientation of fitting the tyre with the rim...but I am talking of the direction of motion of the wheel, if u see Rudra Sir's tyre of his Optra there is an Arrow which talks about which way the tyre should rotate (in the forward motion ofcourse)...
In that case, you cannot do the typical 5 tyre rotation which we generally do....
Since my tyre doesnt have that arrow, I can assume that it can be rotated in any direction....

Hope I am clear...
Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 13:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Congrats on your new set of rubber.

Why 32PSI on highways?? I think 30 is good for Alto in city and highways. I found it to be great in my Alto.
Thanks Zak, In my prev tyres I used to do 32 on highway (with 4 adults + full luggage) and it was pretty fine...
Now that it is tubeless, I just wanted to confirm what the correct PSI shud be?

Abhi
Old 9th May 2007, 13:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

yup abhi your tyres are not unidirectional. they are asymmetrical. asymmetrical means the tyre is not symmetrical on the inner and outer tread whereas unidirectional tyres may be asymmetrical or symmetrical but the rotation of direction cannot change.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ya very good tyres ....Those are the new Potenza GIII sold outside India in the name of Sports touring MY 01 n have same GIII thread pattern with minor changes to the shoulder...
Thats the name, a wonderful piece of rubber compared to the hard crap that they officially sell in India.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 14:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Thanks Zak, In my prev tyres I used to do 32 on highway (with 4 adults + full luggage) and it was pretty fine...
Now that it is tubeless, I just wanted to confirm what the correct PSI shud be?

Abhi
32 on stock 145/80-12 tyres why????
Whats the recommended psi for stock tyres of Alto ?

Maruti recommends 24 psi for 145/80-12 Zen
Old 9th May 2007, 14:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Orientation on the rim is what should be important (inside wall and outside wall). If thats right then it is. You can rotate all the tyres like before.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 14:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
32 on stock 145/80-12 tyres why????
Whats the recommended psi for stock tyres of Alto ?

Maruti recommends 24 psi for 145/80-12 Zen
they recommends 30psi for alto...
Old 9th May 2007, 14:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
they recommends 30psi for alto...
Then it should be fine.... 30 or 32 psi according to the load u are carrying on your highway trips
Old 9th May 2007, 15:28   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@iraghava : On a related note, goodyear is at the bottom of my list. I have totally lost confidence in their tyres.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:46   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Cool Alloys and tyres for an Alto...Congrats akroy....Even i am thinking to changing my stock 175/70/R13 of my Accent CRDi to Potenzas - 195/60/R14 tubeless. My car had done only 6100 Kms and 3.5 months old....Should have changed during the delivery ! Will contact Prakash for a quote for my used tyres..akroy, can you please PM his number?
I took have a accent viva done 9K kms and on stock tyres. I would be interested to see how the handling changes after the tyres are upgraded. Do keep me posted which tyres and what size you upgraded to.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhijit for your new set of shoes!

Even I am planning to upgrade to Alloys + Michelin tubeless!
As you suggested, will get it done @ Super Tyretec, had a couple of queries:
1. Does Super Tyretec deal with Aura Alloy wheels?
2. Do they exchange stock steel rims & tyres? Do they give a fair or atleast some price for the same?
Thanks!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@iraghava : On a related note, goodyear is at the bottom of my list. I have totally lost confidence in their tyres.
Oh, don't even get me started about Goodyear! I by mistake (fell for the looks!!) bought a set of F1 GSD2's and regretted for a long time after that. It seems that in a bid to garner a larger share of the OE market they've seriously cheapened their tyres and that is affecting the quality big time. This is part of the reason that they are also picking up in the replacement market, since their prices are lower than the others and that itself for many people is the deciding factor.

I recently drove a Civic shod with stock GY NCT5's over a few hundred kms and was very disappointed with the tyre. It was noisy & the ride was quite bumpy despite correct pressures. The GPS2 is also quite a sad tread but unfortunately these tyres are now OE on a lot of cars.

How has your experience with the GSD3 been? And anyways nowadays I recommend people to stick to Michelin/Yokohama/Bridgestone-(some treads) for quality tyres.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote