Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th May 2007, 16:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Michelins are best thats what I heard too. Many of my freinds complained about some of Goodyear tyres, 4 months back I had bad experience with goodyear as well, in last 4 years I used more than 4 cars, I never had puncture issue with bridgestones, JK Tyres.

After I started using Innova I had puncture issue and 2 weeks later noticed buldge portion with one of the tyres. Toyota people fixed pucture issue but they said goodyear people didn't agree to replace the tyre since its external damage anyway I didn't do any discussions further I knew unless we bring influence or heated arguments warranty claiming is tough.

When I baught Innova I had decreased its value by 10K just because it had goodyear!

So soon using that 10K + my budget I plan to buy Michelin or Bridgestone (225/60 R15) with alloys (HR/Plati/League...) as well for Innova!

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 17:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Oh, don't even get me started about Goodyear! I by mistake (fell for the looks!!) bought a set of F1 GSD2's and regretted for a long time after that. It seems that in a bid to garner a larger share of the OE market they've seriously cheapened their tyres and that is affecting the quality big time. This is part of the reason that they are also picking up in the replacement market, since their prices are lower than the others and that itself for many people is the deciding factor.

I recently drove a Civic shod with stock GY NCT5's over a few hundred kms and was very disappointed with the tyre. It was noisy & the ride was quite bumpy despite correct pressures. The GPS2 is also quite a sad tread but unfortunately these tyres are now OE on a lot of cars.

How has your experience with the GSD3 been? And anyways nowadays I recommend people to stick to Michelin/Yokohama/Bridgestone-(some treads) for quality tyres.
At the moment upgrading to goodyear tyres is a complete NO NO....

most of the OE tyres in Hyundai vehicles (esp Getz) with Goodyear GT3 has been causing lots of issues n i know ppl who got their tyres replaced by Hyundai ppl for new bridgestone tyres....Hyundai ppl have stopped supplying Getz with Goodyear tyres..

Ishan..!!

Can u clarify this pls?
How can two cars with similar structure n weight with same stock size tyres be recommended with different psi ?
Both Zen n Alto have same stock tyre size with the following recommended air pressure
Zen 24psi
Alto 30psi

Last edited by kpzen : 9th May 2007 at 17:57.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 18:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Abhijit for your new set of shoes!

Even I am planning to upgrade to Alloys + Michelin tubeless!
As you suggested, will get it done @ Super Tyretec, had a couple of queries:
1. Does Super Tyretec deal with Aura Alloy wheels?
2. Do they exchange stock steel rims & tyres? Do they give a fair or atleast some price for the same?
Thanks!
finneyp,
1) Ya they do deal with Alloys (Aura + Imported both).
2) They exchange rims and tyres. I got 600 / tyre and 100 / rim as exchange. My ODO-16325... Bigger tyres and rims can fetch u more money...

You can call up Prakash and he can give u good deal...
He is a tyre distributor so u can always expect a nice price....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 18:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Abhi - have a look at this link:

Michelin Australia

As you can see the 155/165/175/185 tyres are mostly non-silica compound even in the XM1 series. That is why I commented the same earlier.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 18:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Abhi for the info!

Will contact Prakash soon.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 21:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Abhi - have a look at this link:

Michelin Australia

As you can see the 155/165/175/185 tyres are mostly non-silica compound even in the XM1 series. That is why I commented the same earlier.
No iraghava, if u see carefully only 13" are non silica coated....You must be right...
But I didnt see 155/65R13 there, but since it is 13" I now feel that silica part must be missing...
The SAi fellow must be telling stories to me...Hopefully the tyre survives my highway abuses....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 00:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
But I didnt see 155/65R13 there, but since it is 13" I now feel that silica part must be missing...
The SAi fellow must be telling stories to me...Hopefully the tyre survives my highway abuses....
Don't worry you'll do just fine. You've been doing well on the Bridgestone's and the Michelin's are ions better than them. Remember the days we had to do make do with Cross-Ply tyres? We managed that era fine, we'll manage this even better!!
Old 10th May 2007, 02:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Good decision. Maruti seriously undertyres its cars, more so the lower models and variants. These will come into their own on the highway.

It's normal for the fronts to heat up more than the rear. They do the accelerating, braking, steering, everything, na?

You got a REALLY good price of Rs 700 per steel wheel for your old ones. And I mean AMAZING. We pick up Swift rims for 400 bucks a pop.

OT: I was lucky to get a set of decent Goodyears. My old Ducaro GDIs were amazing value, and have lasted 35000 kms through all my antics.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 09:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
yup abhi your tyres are not unidirectional. they are asymmetrical. asymmetrical means the tyre is not symmetrical on the inner and outer tread whereas unidirectional tyres may be asymmetrical or symmetrical but the rotation of direction cannot change.

Abhi,

Vid has provided the explanation above to my original point made in my earlier post. The direction of rotation has to be uniform on both sides irrespective of whether its mentioned on the tyres. Merely matching tread symmetries on either side is not suggested.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 13:12   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How has your experience with the GSD3 been? And anyways nowadays I recommend people to stick to Michelin/Yokohama/Bridgestone-(some treads) for quality tyres.
Horrid. Have you seen my review? Wear out too fast, and become very hard after 10,000 kms. Too noisy. Hate them.

Waiting to change the Benz to Michelins
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 13:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Abhi,

Vid has provided the explanation above to my original point made in my earlier post. The direction of rotation has to be uniform on both sides irrespective of whether its mentioned on the tyres. Merely matching tread symmetries on either side is not suggested.
yes you can match tread symmetries and very well run them without any problems.

In his case the direction of rotation is not important as his tyres are only asymmetrical not unidirectional.

which means that the spare tyre can go on any side without having to remove the tyre from the rims.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 14:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

So what do I do with my GSD II's . Already have had a bad puncture but then I blame it on the roads to Nandi Hills.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Michelin XM1 185/70-13 on Accent...Nowhere Energy is mentioned....

kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 17:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

185/65 R14 on OHC, Energy written.

Kevin - Where is one of the wheel nuts of the Accent?
Old 10th May 2007, 18:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

@kpzen... it is probably an import from US or France. Most of the michelins we get are from thailand, very rarely do you see the US & French imports.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote