Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 21:30   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks for the responses guys, had been researching and was very shocked to see the prices, very inconsistent in Bangalore at least. I am trying to get BS Turanza ER60 (195/60/15) but its not in stock anywhere, so my hopes are low on that, I would buy it anyway, otherwise if I do not get it I want to switch over to 205/60-15 size. In 205/60 BS MY-02 there is no stock and the prices quoted are above Rs. 6500. Almost everyone has Yoko ES100s but I am not sure, life of the tyre is not an issue (at least 35K) but the V pattern is sure to make road/tyre noise, some have suggested me v550 instead, I need some feed back on this, is v550 as gripping as ES100, both these tyres are priced about 5900-6200 depending on the dealer. Other options are - Goodyear Excellence for 4550, would anybody recommend it? The dealer insists that its not like old days and this tyre is at par with the best, for me its VFM, but is it worth it?
I could also find Pirelli P7 for 6831 a piece in size 195/60-15 on online shopping site, shipping is free, they are offering some insignificant freebees and 10% discount, so effectively it will cost me 6148 also on offer is 3 to 6 months 0% EMI too, here is the link;
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pire...420209?pos=0;4
I have no idea if this is worth considering, need inputs from you guys.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 08:45   #77
BHPian
 
paras211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 602
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

When you buy online. You ll have to carry the tires and pay for fitting alignment and balancing. Not worth the hassle. Plus it can get damaged in shipping , one member here got a bike tire with two sidewall rips.
I have used 205/60 as well as 205/55 it's an nice upgrade. Well within limits, looks nice too. Look at michilin too. I got yoko s drives. They are just average. Lock up easily compared to the pp2 that I had.

Last edited by paras211 : 29th December 2012 at 08:48.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:21   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
205 /55 is good handling. A drivers are a good compromise.
I agree but our Bangalore roads will need 60 profile tyres. Though I am really tempted since Corolla has a soft suspension set-up and I am assuming that the ride quality may not suffer much, but will these tyres last on bad roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
When you buy online. You ll have to carry the tires and pay for fitting alignment and balancing. Not worth the hassle. Plus it can get damaged in shipping , one member here got a bike tire with two sidewall rips.
I have used 205/60 as well as 205/55 it's an nice upgrade. Well within limits, looks nice too. Look at michilin too. I got yoko s drives. They are just average. Lock up easily compared to the pp2 that I had.
Its true, not worth the risk. PP2 is just not available in Bangalore, any idea about its price? Only Yoko ES100 is available in 205/60-15, it makes a lot of noise is what I am told. I am running Primacy LC right now on my car and I am not impressed, breaking is average and handling is pathetic, and very unusually the tyres are flaking from the threads (the thread level is good for only city use and can run for another 6-7000 kms).
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,445
Thanked: 7,448 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, had been researching and was very shocked to see the prices, very inconsistent in Bangalore at least. I am trying to get BS Turanza ER60 (195/60/15) but its not in stock anywhere, so my hopes are low on that, I would buy it anyway, otherwise if I do not get it I want to switch over to 205/60-15 size. In 205/60 BS MY-02 there is no stock and the prices quoted are above Rs. 6500. Almost everyone has Yoko ES100s but I am not sure, life of the tyre is not an issue (at least 35K) but the V pattern is sure to make road/tyre noise, some have suggested me v550 instead, I need some feed back on this, is v550 as gripping as ES100, both these tyres are priced about 5900-6200 depending on the dealer. Other options are - Goodyear Excellence for 4550, would anybody recommend it? The dealer insists that its not like old days and this tyre is at par with the best, for me its VFM, but is it worth it?
I could also find Pirelli P7 for 6831 a piece in size 195/60-15 on online shopping site, shipping is free, they are offering some insignificant freebees and 10% discount, so effectively it will cost me 6148 also on offer is 3 to 6 months 0% EMI too, here is the link;
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pire...420209?pos=0;4
I have no idea if this is worth considering, need inputs from you guys.
Recently (last month) bought Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 setup for Rs 5600/tyre (For my Scala)

Maximum comfort & impressive handling (not as good as pp series but definitely better than the stock setup/s)

So try sourcing the PLC's you'l be mighty impressed.

Last edited by karan561 : 29th December 2012 at 09:32.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 20:24   #80
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,445
Thanked: 7,448 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post


Its true, not worth the risk. PP2 is just not available in Bangalore, any idea about its price? Only Yoko ES100 is available in 205/60-15, it makes a lot of noise is what I am told. I am running Primacy LC right now on my car and I am not impressed, breaking is average and handling is pathetic, and very unusually the tyres are flaking from the threads (the thread level is good for only city use and can run for another 6-7000 kms).
Ooops , sorry did not notice that you are already using PLC's and not happy.

Regarding Yoko ES 100's i have used them on the Punto (195/60 R 15 setup) & was very pleased.

These offer excellent grip & good braking + they look great too

The tyre noise was never a concern frankly.

The only negative is that these wear out at about 30-35k kms max

Last edited by karan561 : 29th December 2012 at 20:25.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 23:55   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

After reading many reviews here, I am ruling out all tread types of Goodyear, MRF, Apollo even if they are a good deal. So its BS MY-02, Yoko ES100, PP2 I am left with. So any advices with these options or anything else.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 21:07   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My latest discovery, price of BS MY-02 in size 195/60 R15 is Rs. 5200/- and in size 205/60 R15 it is, hold your breath, Rs. 7,000/-

Now I am all confused, should I stick to 195 or should I really want 205. One for sure I do not like the ride quality and stability beyond 130 kms/hr, a car of this class should not sweat at lest until 140 kms/hr, I have touched 170 kms/hr on stock tyres, but I will not want to do that again on these tyres.

I was told BS GIII is discontinued. Otherwise Yoko ES100 (Rs. 5,900), GY Excellence (Rs. 4,750) may not be all that bad, PP2 (price not known).

I have a lot of options in 195 though.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 22:57   #83
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 2,603 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

PP2 is not available. Dont waste your hopes and dreams on that! :P

What tyre are you using currently?

Consider the MRF ZLO which is cheaper and a better tyre. The Bridgestones are good but a little overpriced compared to how much you pay for the MRF ZLO. The stability of the car depends on the tyre but also on the suspension. 10mm extra wont make a world of difference. A suspension upgrade will transform your car.

Stick to 195/60-15 and get a tyre like the MRF ZLO which will offer you better stability.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 23:48   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What tyre are you using currently?
Michelin Primacy LC 195/65, I know it should have been 195/60, but I made a mistake, just for the sake of Michelin Primacy LC, which I know I regret.

[quote]Consider the MRF ZLO which is cheaper and a better tyre. The Bridgestones are good but a little overpriced compared to how much you pay for the MRF ZLO.

Stick to 195/60-15 and get a tyre like the MRF ZLO which will offer you better stability.[quote]

I am in no mood to pay Rs.7,000/- for a BS MY-02 for sure. But would you consider Goodyear Excellence 205/60 R15 for Rs. 4,600/- instead?

Quote:
The stability of the car depends on the tyre but also on the suspension. 10mm extra wont make a world of difference. A suspension upgrade will transform your car.
Not really looking at a long term ownership of this car, so no expenses on suspension upgrades, just in case if I do upgrade will it give me ride and handling of a new Fiesta or even a Laura?
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 17:19   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,202
Thanked: 2,983 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I need to change the tyres on my Altis and the current OEM Bridgestone Turanza have completed 51k kms. The current tyre size is 195/65-R15.

I am really confused between the following two options:
1. Yokohama Earth 1, 205/65-R15 @ 5600 Rs /tyre.
2. Michelin XM2, 205/65-R15 @ approximately 6100 Rs/ tyre.

Really confused with both the options. My main requirements are:
1. They should make minimum noise.
2. Comfort.
3. Good built quality.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 03:02   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: INDIA
Posts: 30
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Same question as @drmohitg but did not want to do a reply to his question as I thought I would be poaching on his comment. Hope a second question on largely the same lines is not considered bad etiquette for this reason.

So largely the same question for my Altis (Apr 2011 model - 4 years now) touching 51K kms. I haven't checked the condition of my tyres, but after going through various threads, particularly the one at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-tyres-5.html (When is the right time to change tyres?) I feel tyres should be changed.

3 questions:
1. Which tyres should I go for? Largely for city driving in rush hour peak traffic. But more importantly, am planning a looooong road trip from Mumbai to Coorg next week (reading up the highly informative threads here).
2. Where should I buy these from in Western suburbs Mumbai, or someplace better in Mumbai?
3. Should I change all 5? Had one puncture and have regularly serviced my car, so I guess tyres would have been rotated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
krackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 08:36   #87
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I need to change the tyres on my Altis and the current OEM Bridgestone Turanza have completed 51k kms. The current tyre size is 195/65-R15.

I am really confused between the following two options:
1. Yokohama Earth 1, 205/65-R15 @ 5600 Rs /tyre.
2. Michelin XM2, 205/65-R15 @ approximately 6100 Rs/ tyre.

Really confused with both the options. My main requirements are:
1. They should make minimum noise.
2. Comfort.
3. Good built quality.
Mohit sir, is tyre upsize a must for you? If not then why not go in for Michelin Primacy 3ST in 195/65R15.

I got Earth 1 in 195/65 for my Altis two months back. Overall I am satisfied but if you are looking for minimum noise and comfort, Michelins would be better. And under wet conditions, Michelins really shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post

3 questions:
1. Which tyres should I go for? Largely for city driving in rush hour peak traffic. But more importantly, am planning a looooong road trip from Mumbai to Coorg next week (reading up the highly informative threads here).
2. Where should I buy these from in Western suburbs Mumbai, or someplace better in Mumbai?
3. Should I change all 5? Had one puncture and have regularly serviced my car, so I guess tyres would have been rotated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Let me try answering your questions:

1. What are you looking to get out of your new set of tyres? Comfort? Grip? Noise levels? VFM etc etc. There are lot of brands to choose from. Earth 1 is a good option and its reasonably priced as well.

2. Can't help with you this. Sorry.

3. Not required. Out of your current set, keep one which is in a good condition. Buy a set of 4 and rotate only those 4. When you use your spare wheel, get it changed asap instead of continuing using it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2015 at 10:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 10:31   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,202
Thanked: 2,983 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Mohit sir, is tyre upsize a must for you? If not then why not go in for Michelin Primacy 3ST in 195/65R15.

I got Earth 1 in 195/65 for my Altis two months back.
How much did you get your Earth 1 for?

Secondly in Michelin, why not 195/65 XM2 over the Primary 3ST?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 11:47   #89
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How much did you get your Earth 1 for?

Secondly in Michelin, why not 195/65 XM2 over the Primary 3ST?
Earth 1 for 5k a piece in Pune.

I would consider primacy 3ST a step ahead from XM2 with respect to comfort and noise levels. Grip levels should be more or less the same. But yes, XM2 might last longer than 3STs since Michelin themselves promote longer life on the XM2.

Primacy 3ST is a fairly new launch for Asian countries, I think if price difference is not much, it would be a better bet. But again, this is clearly my personal opinion.

3ST would be available for 5900 a piece, in Pune.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 18:50   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 237 Times
Default

If its purely city and occasionally on highway not exceeding 120 kms/hr, and you have no issues with GC, but also want good FE,stick to OE size.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Turbanator Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 61 22nd January 2017 10:59
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Akshay1234 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 307 17th November 2016 10:34
Toyota Innova Crysta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Sankar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 4 23rd September 2016 15:27
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks