Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 19:45   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Suggestions needed for tyre upgrade of 2.2 Dicor. I think the stock tyres are 235/70-R16. Need to retain the stock rim due to loads of pot hole driving but want to increase the width. Truck has done 30K in 8 months and requires a tyre change within next 1 month.

AFAIK recommended upgrade in 16" would be:
255/65-16
265/60-16
275/60-16

Please suggest which tyres to go for ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 02:09   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

255/65 R16 is the best option especially since you're retaining stock rims on which fitting any size wider than 255 is not recommended.

Options are:
Yokohama Geolandar
Michelin Latitude Tour HP
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:51   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

Or the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 31x10.5. I dunno if they come in R16 versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
255/65 R16 is the best option especially since you're retaining stock rims on which fitting any size wider than 255 is not recommended.

Options are:
Yokohama Geolandar
Michelin Latitude Tour HP
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 21:35   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Hi iraghava and other members,

I heard from reputed dealer here Michellin Latitude Tour HP (on road suv tyre) and Synchronize tyres getting phased out or already phased out for poor demand. Please pour truth/false about this news.

For Old Safari with 15 inch tyres what is best upgrade? I referred to iraghava's Excel sheet in this forum which suggested options, but my doubt is does 235/70 R16 suitable on old safari with 15 inch tyre as stock ?

Regards,


Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th January 2009 at 21:36.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 22:09   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

Read my above post #:153. These tyres come in 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hi iraghava and other members,

I heard from reputed dealer here Michellin Latitude Tour HP (on road suv tyre) and Synchronize tyres getting phased out or already phased out for poor demand. Please pour truth/false about this news.

For Old Safari with 15 inch tyres what is best upgrade? I referred to iraghava's Excel sheet in this forum which suggested options, but my doubt is does 235/70 R16 suitable on old safari with 15 inch tyre as stock ?

Regards,


Ravi.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:13   #156
BHPian
 
hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 0 Times
Default 4x4 alloys and tyres

guys going through couple of threads where i have noticed common 4x4 heads, so confused on the alloys and tyres, as i see there is some modification on the bumpers to be done and what are the options finally.....

can i get some info on good in car entertainment shops. its been a long time out of touch with all this , thanks to this site hope to cover the lost time
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:35   #157
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

1. Does fitting 255/65R16 on a Safari involve any cutting etc.? Or is it a straight fit?
2. Can one of the OTR experts please take a look at the tread of the new MRF Wanderer A/T tyre (ad in today's TOI BLR edition) and comment?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:06   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
1. Does fitting 255/65R16 on a Safari involve any cutting etc.? Or is it a straight fit?
2. Can one of the OTR experts please take a look at the tread of the new MRF Wanderer A/T tyre (ad in today's TOI BLR edition) and comment?
I have the same tyres in my safari and have mounted them on the VX alloys rims. So that dint involve any cutting etc.
I am not sure about other alloys
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:20   #159
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Thanks harjeev. I have the same OEM 6.5 alloys as well - am very sceptical of any kind of cutting etc.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:46   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

I too was very skeptical about any cutting etc hense went for these specification tyres

Check out my garrage
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 17:20   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default

The Bridgestone HT on my safari has a major sidewall cut. I am for now planning to put a tube and use this as spare, but this arrangement is temporary.
I am wondering where can I get an almost new or slightly used tubeless tire for my safari. Don't want to spend 6K now for a new Bridgestone HT!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 17:38   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 807 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I too was very skeptical about any cutting etc hense went for these specification tyres

Check out my garrage
Saw the pics of ur tyres on your safari. How is the performance of Kumho tyres with regard to:
(i) Onroad tyre noise at 100kph +
(ii) Offroad grip in loose mud and sand(if you have been offroad)

I am looking to change my tires soon and upgrade to anything that can provide good offroad grip with acceptable on road performance.
The OEM bridgestones are terrible and limit my safari's offroad potential.

I am more inclined towards tires for offroad use.
Any suggestions and advice.
An upgrade is required soon to enable me to venture into the woods.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th March 2009 at 17:39.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 18:57   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Saw the pics of ur tyres on your safari. How is the performance of Kumho tyres with regard to:
(i) Onroad tyre noise at 100kph +
(ii) Offroad grip in loose mud and sand(if you have been offroad)

I am looking to change my tires soon and upgrade to anything that can provide good offroad grip with acceptable on road performance.
The OEM bridgestones are terrible and limit my safari's offroad potential.

I am more inclined towards tires for offroad use.
Any suggestions and advice.
An upgrade is required soon to enable me to venture into the woods.
@jays
The Khumos are OK and I have used them for 27.5k kms and are doing, well good. I think that these still have much life in them, but I think that they are high speed tyres.

1. The there is little or no noise on the highways, but again I would'nt be sure as I generally drive around 80km/hr. Thogh I have driven at speeds 130-140 km/hr on these tyres but during that time the windows were closed as the wind noise is too high at these speeds.
But at the same time the vehicle felt quite stable at these speed's and Ii dinnt try to go at higher because of the non ABS version. But as far as the tyres go I felt quite comfortable.

2. I have never done serious off-roading with these tyres as mine is is 4x2 but have been to Corbett many times, though not on slush, just rock, water crossings and a little loose sand. Thats it.
However I have seen BF Goodrich on a Safari 4x4 and also seen it in action in our NIOC (Northern India Off-Roading Club). There were preforming quite good!
The 4x4 safari is owned by Aman Sachdev and he is on TeamBHP. You can PM him and get a detailed report.

These retail for 5800 a tyre Tubeless for the 235/70/R16.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 20:12   #164
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Guys,

Whats the "widest" tyre available for a TCIC Safari? Will a Endevour tyre fit?
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 20:36   #165
BHPian
 
overdose14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brampton,Canada
Posts: 159
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Guys,

Whats the "widest" tyre available for a TCIC Safari? Will a Endevour tyre fit?
295/55/15 maxis
check out this pick of my friend's DICOR who is running 15".
and paint job is new its a 3 tone one.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-100_1719.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-100_1721.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-100_1722.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-100_1733.jpg  

overdose14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 635 9th February 2016 06:59
Tata Bolt : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread narayan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 11th September 2015 18:36
Tata Indigo Manza : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread -NUT-case Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 99 15th June 2015 19:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks