Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 12:34   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

At yesterday's OTR the Michelin on a Grand Vitara developed a hole in the side wall!!!

I am not ruling the tyre or the brand as this could have happened to any brand but it hurts to see this!!!


Anyways here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9324.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9325.jpg  

harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:42   #242
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

Thats serious damage.
BTW are Yokohama M/T available easily, all I see is A/TS etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 14:53   #243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,562
Thanked: 2,490 Times
Default

@harjeev ---- That seems to be only the rubber. Not too serious and very frankly, to be expected on such OTR. As you said, it's just bad luck. Could have happened to ANY tyre. The sidewall strength(stiffnes) depends on not just the rubber, but the nylon cords also. In your case since the nylon cars are not severed, it could have happened even with the most durable tyre.

@Tsk1979 --- M/T is not widely available. Company people keep saying it will come but that too only in 15" . HT is also not available in many sizes. They are promoting mainly A/T.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:02   #244
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

I actually called up a few dealers and this is what I found out(all prices bill and warranty)
Michelin LTX - Only some dealers have the 235/70 R16, cost is approx 6700
BF Goodrich - Nobody has All terrain TA KO, only Long Trail which is sort of highway tire costs around 5600rs.
Yokohama ATS - Most commonly available 6150-6300 price range.
Continental CrossContact AT - Now this is available with some dealers, and from what I have seen in photographs and from online reviews, its a proper offroad tire, cost is 6300/tire

Apart from that for the budget spender there are 2 tires available for around 5200-5500
MRF wanderer AT and the Apollo Hawkz AT

I am tempted to get these, esp the wanderer but only limiting factor is that the tread looks very "on roadish".
Other than that I am sure its a hard sidewall tire and will tolerate abuse.
As for the Hawkz AT, it does not look like an offroad tire at all. The grooves are narrow which means it will turn to slick quickly inside mud.
Moreover there is no treadblock on the shoulder.

As for the Michelin, I am impressed with the damage. Such a cut and no bulging. This tires got one tough sidewall.

But at 6700 a piece, this goes squarely out of my budget. Yoko seems ok, but till date I have heard from 2 people that on stony tracks they suffered punctures with AT2. Maybe ATS is better, but it seems risky.
So that leaves me with continental or MRF wanderer. At 1000 less, the wanderer is emerging like a strong candidate.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:06   #245
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,562
Thanked: 2,490 Times
Default

I say dont go for the Wanderer if you plan for the occassional serious off roading. I have it from the guru's mouth that it will be bad for off roading. Khan Sultan himself.

Go for the Continental. The company person told me they expect a very long life from it as well as being a good performer off road.

The Yoko Geolander is A/T. There is no ATS as such. I'm referring to the tyre model G012.

The Yoko is also tried and tested.

I suggest you change all 4. I get the impression that you are looking to change only 2. Putting 2 Yoko/conti and 2 of those JKs is quite ridiculous and a waste of oyur money. You may as well buy 2 more JKs.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:11   #246
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

I will be changing JKs around 50K mark once those have done around 35-40K kms.
Right now I am taking in 2 new rear tires.
As for Off roading, I am not looking for an off road tire per se. I am looking for a tire which has strong sidewall, and can do extreme bad road rocky road driving.
Some mud and sand ability is good, but toughness is the main criteria.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:30   #247
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 553
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I actually called up a few dealers and this is what I found out(all prices bill and warranty)
Michelin LTX - Only some dealers have the 235/70 R16, cost is approx 6700
BF Goodrich - Nobody has All terrain TA KO, only Long Trail which is sort of highway tire costs around 5600rs.
Yokohama ATS - Most commonly available 6150-6300 price range.
Continental CrossContact AT - Now this is available with some dealers, and from what I have seen in photographs and from online reviews, its a proper offroad tire, cost is 6300/tire

Apart from that for the budget spender there are 2 tires available for around 5200-5500
MRF wanderer AT and the Apollo Hawkz AT

I am tempted to get these, esp the wanderer but only limiting factor is that the tread looks very "on roadish".
Other than that I am sure its a hard sidewall tire and will tolerate abuse.
As for the Hawkz AT, it does not look like an offroad tire at all. The grooves are narrow which means it will turn to slick quickly inside mud.
Moreover there is no treadblock on the shoulder.

As for the Michelin, I am impressed with the damage. Such a cut and no bulging. This tires got one tough sidewall.

But at 6700 a piece, this goes squarely out of my budget. Yoko seems ok, but till date I have heard from 2 people that on stony tracks they suffered punctures with AT2. Maybe ATS is better, but it seems risky.
So that leaves me with continental or MRF wanderer. At 1000 less, the wanderer is emerging like a strong candidate.

ATS is good. I went through the trail and no puncture, overall good grip and perfect on road with less noise. I did put 255x70x15 in my Safari Michelin LTX AT, they also seem to be good tire but not as soft as Yoko
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:31   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 807 Times
Default

TSK >> Mrf wanderer tread is similar to the Bridgestone Dueller HT. I do not think it will perform in slush and rocky terrain. It will be worse in sand. Apollo sidewalls are pathetic for an AT tire.
I too like the BFG tread and have used it here in the desert and few rocky trails and having used the Yokos too on my Prado, i would vouch for the BFG for good offroad and decent onroad performance.

Im also looking at Kumho but cannot find the size in India, though it is available elsewhere. Check the Kumho australian website.

But id say forget the indian brands if you are seriously looking for AT.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:33   #249
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
ATS is good. I went through the trail and no puncture, overall good grip and perfect on road with less noise. I did put 255x70x15 in my Safari Michelin LTX AT, they also seem to be good tire but not as soft as Yoko
Earlier you had AT+ which got punctured in Bihar? So did you change them with ATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

The Yoko Geolander is A/T. There is no ATS as such. I'm referring to the tyre model G012.
.
In the pics posted in this thread, I see lots of ATS, even Suman got ATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
TSK >> Mrf wanderer tread is similar to the Bridgestone Dueller HT. I do not think it will perform in slush and rocky terrain. It will be worse in sand. Apollo sidewalls are pathetic for an AT tire.
I too like the BFG tread and have used it here in the desert and few rocky trails and having used the Yokos too on my Prado, i would vouch for the BFG for good offroad and decent onroad performance.

Im also looking at Kumho but cannot find the size in India, though it is available elsewhere. Check the Kumho australian website.

But id say forget the indian brands if you are seriously looking for AT.
Sadly BFG does not sell All Terrain anymore. They have only long Trail TA tour which is a highway tire.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:48   #250
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I actually called up a few dealers and this is what I found out(all prices bill and warranty)
Michelin LTX - the 235/70 R16, cost is approx 6700
BF Goodrich - only Long Trail ; highway tire costs around 5600rs.
Yokohama ATS - Most commonly available 6150-6300 price range.
Continental CrossContact AT - proper offroad tire, cost is 6300/tire

Apart from that for the budget spender there are 2 tires available for around 5200-5500
MRF wanderer AT and the Apollo Hawkz AT


But at 6700 a piece, this goes squarely out of my budget. Yoko seems ok, but till date I have heard from 2 people that on stony tracks they suffered punctures with AT2. Maybe ATS is better, but it seems risky.
So that leaves me with continental or MRF wanderer. At 1000 less, the wanderer is emerging like a strong candidate.
And tsk all the price you have quoted is for 235's? How much will the Bridgestones cost? And they come in 255?

Jay; I think Kumho is available at Bangy.

Guess highway people like me have very few option . BFG looks like what I should be getting after 2 months (43k odo now).

Last edited by jkdas : 20th July 2009 at 15:50.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:51   #251
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

@jkdas, all prices are for 235/70. Bridgestone HT standard(OEM variety) costs 5600 so I guess the 255 will cost approx 6500 or so.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 21:34   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And tsk all the price you have quoted is for 235's? How much will the Bridgestones cost? And they come in 255?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@jkdas, all prices are for 235/70. Bridgestone HT standard(OEM variety) costs 5600 so I guess the 255 will cost approx 6500 or so.
When I bought my BEAR in Nov 07 at that time Bridgestone didn't come in 255's and I had to settle for Kuhmo 255/65/16's

Maybe now they've started manufacturing tyre in that specs
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 22:29   #253
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,562
Thanked: 2,490 Times
Default

BS dont have anything in 235. And even if they do, stay away!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 19:18   #254
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default Tyres for Tata Safari 255/65 R16 on OE alloys

Need help! I have to change tyres pretty soon, 46500 done on the ones that came with the Safari. They are BG's.

I want to upsize and hence will be getting 255/65 R16 on OE alloys. I checked with one dealer; said they have only Yokos for 6950 Rs !

Now, is this rate high? And which model is this Yoko? If this is high, I can get tyres couried from other states cheaper and without tax issues? I happen to hate the dealer coz of their attitute and hence looking for more options.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 19:27   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,543
Thanked: 780 Times
Default

Is buying from pondy a good option? went there recently, and saw huge bunch of tyre shops. seems all sorts of truckers re-tyre there. fill the truck up, fill yourself up, and get some new shoes

didnt see much premium stuff though.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 635 9th February 2016 06:59
Tata Bolt : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread narayan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 11th September 2015 18:36
Tata Indigo Manza : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread -NUT-case Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 99 15th June 2015 19:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks