Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:13   #661
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Have placed an order for the Yokohama Geolander 235/70R16 tyres at an unbelievable price of 6100/- per tyre. Awaiting delivery which will happen in the next 2-3 days.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 13:05   #662
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,627
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Something is wrong. Either it is not an officially imported tyre or it is used. Or it will be 2-3 years old.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 15:09   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Something is wrong. Either it is not an officially imported tyre or it is used. Or it will be 2-3 years old.
Nikhil

Will a tyre like BF Goodrich AT KO harm the safari suspension and bushes over time given the fact its a harder tyre. My workshop guys keep on telling me that and also say that the alignment is a bit tricky with those ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2302708

Rahul

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 7th January 2013 at 15:11.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:25   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,145 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Have placed an order for the Yokohama Geolander 235/70R16 tyres at an unbelievable price of 6100/- per tyre. Awaiting delivery which will happen in the next 2-3 days.
Are you getting a bill and warranty at that price?

Quote:
Nikhil

Will a tyre like BF Goodrich AT KO harm the safari suspension and bushes over time given the fact its a harder tyre. My workshop guys keep on telling me that and also say that the alignment is a bit tricky with those ?
I am sure Nikhil will answer that one better, but I don't see any premature wear and tear to suspension components due to this tyre, but where would you source this tyre currently? If available, I'd be interested in purchasing a set too.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 7th January 2013 at 17:27.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 22:23   #665
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,627
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Nikhil

Will a tyre like BF Goodrich AT KO harm the safari suspension and bushes over time given the fact its a harder tyre. My workshop guys keep on telling me that and also say that the alignment is a bit tricky with those ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2302708

Rahul
I dont think so. That sounds like a very lame reason to me

And alignment will NOT depend on the tyres used.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 22:28   #666
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I dont think so. That sounds like a very lame reason to me

And alignment will NOT depend on the tyres used.
Thanks Nikhil...

Any pointer in Pune if you know who i can approach for alignment (Camber work i have known so far only Tass can do it properly)
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:35   #667
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My TATA Grande is due for a tyre replacement.
Between the Bridgestones HT and Apollo Hawkz the Hawkz are cheaper by almost Rs 800 per tyre which translates into a saving of rs.2400.
Now the question is are the Hawkz worth it in terms of mileage,grip ,noise and wear ?
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:30   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,145 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Between the Bridgestones HT and Apollo Hawkz the Hawkz are cheaper by almost Rs 800 per tyre which translates into a saving of rs.2400.
Now the question is are the Hawkz worth it in terms of mileage,grip ,noise and wear ?
I've heard quite a few good things about the Apollo Hawkz ATs, they kight be worth the buy in my opinion.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:33   #669
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 157 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My Safari has Hawks AT and have done about 6k kms, have done most of the kms on hilly/winding roads and also have driven in wet conditions...

I can say Hawks is worth the money


Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
My TATA Grande is due for a tyre replacement.
Between the Bridgestones HT and Apollo Hawkz the Hawkz are cheaper by almost Rs 800 per tyre which translates into a saving of rs.2400.
Now the question is are the Hawkz worth it in terms of mileage,grip ,noise and wear ?

Last edited by lohithrao : 17th January 2013 at 11:34.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 15:30   #670
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
My Safari has Hawks AT and have done about 6k kms, have done most of the kms on hilly/winding roads and also have driven in wet conditions...

I can say Hawks is worth the money
Correct. They are much better than those silly bridgestone HT tires which are of very inferior quality. The tires are pretty weak and prone to bulging and bursting. After losing 3 tires, I switched away. Never had a problem since!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 16:31   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Ok looking to change the tyres in my safari 3.0, still using stock Bridgestone Duellers

done 55k, the tread looks good but its been 5 years old, so want to change them to be on the safer side.

the yearly run is about 10k nowadays, so need something cost effective but gud quality too.

What are the prices of various options i have ?? Can someone please post the prices
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 22:26   #672
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,627
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Thanks Nikhil...

Any pointer in Pune if you know who i can approach for alignment (Camber work i have known so far only Tass can do it properly)
No idea actually. tyre shops mostly dont do Camber work.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:35   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,173 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

So what is the consensus on the better OE tyre guys - Bridgestone or Apollo?

That said, is it possible to get the tyres of your choice while buying the vehicle or do you have to take what's assigned to you?

My usage like most will be commuting and city and highway touring - but I do plan to take it to the mountains as well with family, and the sidewall bulging/blowout reports concern me.

Incidentally, this is confirmed by the National AMC guy as well. Many cases being reported with the Bridgestones.

But surprisingly when you speak to tyre shop guys, the story is reversed and most of them feel the Bridgestone is a better tyre (life, grip) and say stay away from Apollo (road noise, problems start after half tread is used up, leaks/micro-punctures).

So amongst us users, what is the consensus? Do not want to exchange brand new tyres immediately cause I see no reason to shell out 1200 extra per tyre (best deal - 2500 per tyre is the upper range) when its hardly been used less than 50 kms (showroom to tyre shop).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:05   #674
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,145 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
That said, is it possible to get the tyres of your choice while buying the vehicle or do you have to take what's assigned to you?
If you know the dealership people they might give you a car with the tyres of your choice from their stock. I think the Storme comes shod with Bridgestones, and I found them quite adequate on my drive to Goa, so I think you would be fine with the Bridgestones as your OE tyres.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 20:29   #675
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

What is the life of Bridgestone Duellers HT in Tata Safari? My Safari is done around 35000 Kms in 2 years 3 months and still I see tyres are in perfect condition and tread depth like original. With this rate I can see even it will last beyond 70,000 Kms.

Never had any problem in my tyres except one puncture and regularly do the alignment, balancing and rotation (5 tyres).
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 636 26th March 2017 10:31
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 55 22nd March 2017 12:27
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Tata Bolt : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread narayan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 11th September 2015 18:36
Tata Indigo Manza : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread -NUT-case Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 99 15th June 2015 19:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks