Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 21st July 2010, 14:29   #121

Originally Posted by awinash View Post
Hi all,
I am a newbie and I went through a lot of threads and spent a lot of time trying to figure out a nice tire and wheel for my alto1.1. after close to a couple of months of research, I decided on HRS 13x5.5J alloys and 165/60R13 GIIIs. I always drive alone and occasionally have one or two other seats occupied. Yesterday, I had to go on a short out of station trip with 4 other passengers which is when I noticed that the rear tires scrapes the wheel arch. It doesn't always happen. Happens only when I am travelling at around 70+ and the road happens to have a smooth short dip. I pulled over to check the clearance between the tires and the arch (with the passengers in of course) and found a very small gap... maybe around a couple of inches.

My questions now:
1. Stock 145/80R12 has an overall diameter of 536.70mm (21.13in). Upsized 165/60R13 has an overall diameter of 528.06mm (20.79in). That's an 8.64mm reduction in diameter, which implies an increase in distance between the tire's periphery and the wheel arches, thereby increasing clearance for the suspension to move. But in spite of this I do not understand why the upsized tire scrapes the wheel arch. What am I missing here?

2. What options do i have to get over this?

Thanks in advance.

The tires are 20mm wider than the Stock Tires and hence they scrape the wheel arches when the suspension travels upwards. I had the same problem with the exact same tires but with 13x5J rims. I got the rear fenders rolled and it solved the problem. When you get your car serviced at a Maruti service centre, ask them to do it, it's free!
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 18:20   #122

this is quite a long gap to respond to this thread, but still here goes. I tried a MASS at Adyar, chennai and a local body workshop at kilpauk and neither of them have any clue about rolling rear fenders. There was this one chap at the local workshop that suggested 2 options.
1. Adding 1" spacers
2. Increasing suspension height
I do not want to do either of these. Could anyone of you direct me to any MASS or Local workshop in Chennai that can get my rear fenders rolled. Really grateful for your reply. Thank you.

Last edited by awinash : 13th October 2010 at 18:23.
awinash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 11:31   #123

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2010 at 12:07.
awinash is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 31st October 2010, 12:18   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hey Awinash! I had placed spacers too in my ride from a MASS workshop in Bangalore though and as as far as I know any MASS workshop should be able to do that. My upsize was 13" 165/65R13 Michelin XM1 and the tyres used to touch the wheel arches at times so I got the spacers placed to marginally lift the ride and it was done perfectly.

However contact Nitrous for any info as he might know some folks there in chennai.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 31st October 2010 at 12:26. Reason: Added some additional info
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote