Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 28th May 2010, 16:09   #196
BHPian

Here from the details I am filtering the questions;

1. how do I make sure my rims are round and rust-free?

Once you open the rims, you can very well know its condition. And if you carefully watch the rims curves, you can find if there is any bends. But this too can be clearly confirmed with the help of any good automated tyre shop. They have the tools for that.

2.I would like to treat them for rust before I fit the new tyres. Where and how can I get this done?

There are some ways you can remove the existing rust. Simple its by cleaning the existing rust by using sand papers or by using proper tyre shop tools. After removing the rust, you need to get the rims cleaned and painted with antirust coating. Mostly this can be done with the help of a tyre shop and a descent painter.

3. what is the cost of a WagonR stock rim?

The very resonable and valuabe question, A WagonR VXI 13" Rims will cost you approx 800Rs in MASS and heard that Astar Rims are also suitable for wagonR (need to confirm) and it costs approx 600Rs.

So it will be 4000Rs Approx for 5 Stock Rims.

There is an option here, contact some alloy wheel shops. They will give you descent stock rims for 250Rs. Coz, guys like me will throw our stock rims for 100/pc when upgrading to alloys.

4. Is the approach I am taking correct? What are the possible issues I might face (say, after putting tubes in tubeless tyres)?

This modification of putting tubes inside a tubeless tyres, I am not sure.

I prefer you to get some good stock rims from the alloys shops and go ahead.
thelightening is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 21:25   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey thelightening,

Very good advice! I was just thinking of posting a long reply to Bullitt's post, but you have made my task easy! I'm glad I checked the 14th page of the thread before starting my reply!

I'll just answer the last query.

There is no major disadvantage of putting a tube in a tubeless tyre as long as the tubeless tyre is a Bridgestone S322 or an MRF ZVTS. the problem with putting a tube in any of the other exclusively tubeless tyres is that the friction between thei nner layer of the tyre and the tube could cause problems since the inner layer is not constructed to deal with the friction.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 28th May 2010 at 21:27.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:27   #198
BHPian

Smile Thanks for the advice!

Guys,
Thanks for the valuable advice. Here is what I plan to do.

1. Visit the local puncture-wallah and get the rims checked visually, get them treated for rust (irrespective of presence of rust). This should reasonably rule out any problems once the tubeless tyres are mounted on them.

2. Replace the tyres with new Apollo Acelere tubeless tyres (on the existing, treated rims).

3. Observe for a few days and check for air loss.

4. In case of noticeable air loss in one or more tyres, investigate and replace any faulty rims with new ones.

I gathered from Nikhil's post that putting tubes into Apollo Aceleres is not a good idea, so will drop that entirely. I will keep you guys posted once I have changed the tyres.

I would also like to hear your views on filling nitrogen in the tyres. One of the showroom guys offered to fill it in the new tyres (complimentary), and he was all praises for it, saying it offered a much smoother ride as compared to air. However, he also mentioned that it needs to be replaced (deflate and re-inflate) every 3 months, as the nitrogen gets oxidized. The price for this exercise: Rs.100/- for 4 tyres.

Are his claims true? Is this really worth it?

One area of concern for me is, when I travel out of town, will this cause any problems if I get a puncture?

I am also considering the use of SLIME or similar material. What are the implications of using Slime with nitrogen?

Thanks for your patience.

- Jaydeep.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:43   #199
BHPian

Hi Jaydeep,

Some updates pls. Did you go as per your plan and get it done? Your this expedition on tyres are fast becoming thw way ahead for me since, i am also planning on exactly the same thing for my 3 year old Wagon R. No alloys.

Your experiences post the fitment of new tyres would be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,
Jk
jayakumarkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 09:44   #200
BHPian

Hello every one. I have a question here.

We have a WagonR which has traveled about 62k km. The tyres were changed last year in batches of two i.e. first the front two were replaced and then the rear ones at an interval of about 1000 km or so, and it so happened that the steed had michelin xm1 tubeless at the front and MRF zvts tubed ones at the rear.

The vehicle has covered more than 10k km since then including both the highways and the dirt tracks of rural rajasthan without any trouble.
Over all i am more than satisfied with the performance of the michelin tyres.

Now the thing which is bothering me is that during the routine servicing at MASS last week, some guy did tyre rotation and now the car has one michelin and one MRF tubed tyre at the front. I have developed some doubts about this affecting the highway performance.
What would be the best for me.
Should i revert back and swap the left side with right or continue with the same arrangement.

Another thing i had noted of late was the tyre noise inside the cars with MRF tyres. Is there any method to minimize the same.

Thanks
amikacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 15:16   #201
BHPian

Default Sorry for the late response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
Hi Jaydeep,

Some updates pls. Did you go as per your plan and get it done? Your this expedition on tyres are fast becoming thw way ahead for me since, i am also planning on exactly the same thing for my 3 year old Wagon R. No alloys.

Your experiences post the fitment of new tyres would be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,
Jk
Hi Jayakumarkp,
My apologies for the late response. Did you go ahead with changing the tyres on your car?
As for me, I went ahead with the plan and changed all 5 tyres on my car to Apollo Acelere tubeless 145/70 R13. They cost me Rs. 1950/- a piece, with WA and WB thrown in for free. I had planned to upsize to 155/65, but those cost Rs. 2500/- a piece, 25% more than the original sized ones. Then, I would have got 4 upsized tyres for the price of 5 original sized ones, So I dropped the idea. I read in the news recently that all manufacturers have hiked tyre prices; I guess there are a few tyre retailers amongst us here, who can give you accurate information about this.
Before switching to tubeless, it is very very important to check that all the rims are perfectly round and rust free. A visual check by yourself and the dealer is good enough for this. If any of the rims are faulty, it is better to replace the faulty ones (generally the dealer also sells these), or stick to tubed tyres on all wheels. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all my rims were in perfect shape, even after 5 years of use.
As for Slime, the tyre dealer asked me not to go for it, as it causes problems with the balance of the wheels, resulting in wobbling.
It has been a month and a half since I changed the tyres. I have found the Apollo Aceleres to be a fabulous set. They have completely transformed the ride and handling of my car. They are also very silent. And yes, they also look quite good. I would definitely recommend them to anyone, atleast for the WagonR.
The only gripe I have is that the vertical grooves tend to pick up a lot of tiny stones and pebbles, which then make that irritating "tick-tick" sound, which you can hear when the window is rolled down. I guess this must be common for any tyre that has vertical grooves. For this, once every 2-3 days I give the tyres a once over and remove all the stones I can find using, guess what, the car key itself . I know this is not a nice thing to do, but it just so happens that the key is already in my hand, and it's hard to resist. This exercise also helps in identifying any possible punctures where the offending object has not allowed the air to escape.
If you haven't changed your car tyres already, then All the Best with your endeavour. You have my feedback about the Apollo Aceleres.

NOTE: You have not mentioned if your WagonR is an LX, LXi or VXi. Mine is an LXi. Both the LX and LXi come with 145/70R13 as OEM, whereas the VXi (top of the line) comes with 155/65R13 (I'm not sure if this applies to the new "blue eyed boy"). Their rims are also coloured differently, as the VXi comes with black rims, whereas the LX and LXi have silver rims. I'm not sure if the rim sizes are different though. The tyre gurus might be able to help here. If your car is the VXi, i guess you should stick to the 155/65 sized ones.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:43   #202
BHPian

HeyJaydeep thanks for your inputs!! Greatly appreciated.

Haven't got it done yet. And yes prices have gone up. Have decided for tubeless. Not much diff between tubeless and tubetype last time i checked. :(
Might even go for 165/65 R13. Totally confused between bridgestone G3, Michelin, Yoko. 155/65 seems to be the best bet though.. !
Also not sure whether, 165/65 would be an overkill,i mean would it touch the insides or not. Tyre dealer i talked to have suggested that no probs as such with going wide on wagonR..
jayakumarkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:57   #203
BHPian

Hello JK,
In general, the price difference between the tube type and tubeless tyres is limited to the price of the tube itself (about 150 - 180 bucks). 165/65 R13 is the incorrect upsize for WagonR, 165/60 R13 is the right one. The 165/65 R13 is not only wider, but taller too, due to the larger sidewall. This means the tyre will have a larger circumference too, which causes speedometer error. I have seen a few WagonR's shod with these, but I am not quite sure what are the risks involved with fitting a taller tyre (effect on suspension, wheel well friction, impact on potholed roads etc.), and so I thought it best to avoid the incorrect upsize. Tyre gurus on the forum should be able to throw light on this, and I am sure there are quite a few threads also, on the perils of choosing an incorrect upsize.
In any case, it is not a good idea to mount 165's on stock rims, as the tyre sidewall tends to bulge a lot with the +20 upsize. In the long run, this might cause the tyre sidewall to wear out faster, not to mention the handling issues you might face (a heavy steering would be one of them).
However, if you would still like to go for 165/60 R13, then Bridgestone Potenza G3 is the only tyre i know which is available in that particular size. An uncle of mine who owns a tyre dealership in Panaji told me to avoid these as they are very noisy. Also, these are unidirectional tyres, which means that you need to unmount the tyres from the rims every time you need to rotate the tyres (to avoid uneven wear).
As I already mentioned, try avoiding WagonR stock rims with the 165's. If you cannot go for alloys, I would suggest finding a set of 13 inch stock rims from some other vehicle that uses size 165 tyres as standard fitment, which can be fitted to the WagonR. This will involve some research. The tyre gurus should be able to help you out here. These rims come quite cheap brand new; if you are lucky, the tyre dealer might just have a set of almost new rims chucked by an alloy wheels buyer, which he might offer you for a steal.
To summarize, if you go for 145/70 or 155/65, stock rims are fine. If you choose 165/60, use alloys or compatible stock rims from another vehicle. All the best!
Old 24th August 2010, 13:41   #204
BHPian

Default Michelin Offer.

Hi JK,
I just saw this hoarding today. You might want to take a look at this:

Michelin Mobile / Campaigns / Promotions & Campaigns / News & Promotions / Home - www.michelin.in

Michelin is offering a free cell phone with every purchase of 4 tyres. You might want to take it, in case you need a new cellphone
Old 12th August 2014, 14:19   #205

Default Re: Michelin XM1 or Potenza for WagonR??

Need latest info/reviews as I'm looking to replace my Wagon R's (Lxi 2005) shoes. I have the alloy wheels from the Wagon R Pride model (Swapped from my relative before he was selling his wagon off)

I currently have the Goodyear GT3 fitted on them since the past 42k km. And have a stock Stepney which is which is a Bridgestone. I found the GT3 good originally but after some 10-12k kms it started giving problems. Punctures are way too frequent. One of the tyres has a puncture on the edge of the sidewall and tread which cant be repaired so had to get a tube fitted in it. Some other issue in another tyre and now I drive with 2 tubes and 2 tubeless ones. And puncturing/Air loss is very frequent. Also not comfortable at all. The tyres have done most of their time on the Delhi-Gurgaon-expressway and some mandatory off-roading on Gurgaon roads.

Last Saturday I was travelling from Sivasamudra to Bangalore and one of the tyres had to take a dive in a pothole on the road (Had no option) and the tube burst. Since these shoes are causing too much trouble, I'm thinking of getting them replaced. Can someone suggest a good set? I love the spare tyre that I have (Bridgestone-Tube type), but even that needs replacement as it has gone too hard and is too old.

Also, is the age/condition of the alloy wheel an issue for my way too frequent punctures? My Chevy has had just 1 puncture since we bought it 5 years ago. While my Waggie gets punctured like it is in a warzone.
Magemegento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 17:55   #206
BHPian

I had fitted 4 Yokohama A drives (155/65 R13) on my WagonR from Lokmanya Pune in 2010,
He had done a decent job then and they have ran for 40K now and need to be replaced. In the last 4 years i must have got only 1 or 2 punctures and zero side wall bulges so I am not complaining.

For the new set I initially started out with Bridgestone S322's as my choice but now I am thinking of Michelin XM2s or Continental CEC3.

Lokmanya is quoting 3575 for the XM2's and 3400 for the Conti's

I am keen on the Michelin XM2's but will be glad to hear other suggestions and also where can I get a good deal.

Thanks
FrankMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:55   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magemegento View Post
Need latest info/reviews as I'm looking to replace my Wagon R's (Lxi 2005) shoes. I have the alloy wheels from the Wagon R Pride model (Swapped from my relative before he was selling his wagon off)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMartin View Post
For the new set I initially started out with Bridgestone S322's as my choice but now I am thinking of Michelin XM2s or Continental CEC3.

Lokmanya is quoting 3575 for the XM2's and 3400 for the Conti's

I am keen on the Michelin XM2's but will be glad to hear other suggestions and also where can I get a good deal.

Thanks
Had XM1s on my 2004 WagonR which lasted me 36k kms and 5 years. Tyres had life left but given the age, I decided to change. Got XM2s last year and have been happy with the performance and comfort. Michelins all the way for me.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 22nd August 2014 at 11:58.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote