Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 14:11   #16
BHPian
 
DigitalDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Thank you guys for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I have seen JK vectras lasting for more than 60,000km in a car without single issue and I found ride is good as well.
Ravi.
Ravi - Could you please let me know which car you are referring to and what was the profile of these JK's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You will get good price for your JKs if you talk to tyre dealer before delivery, and walk straight into tire shop from the showroom.
JK Vectra is a very lousy tire from handling perspective, and it will be better to get get some good rubber as SX4 is a powerful sedan.
You can go for Michelin/Yoko/Conti
Continental Sportcontact is OEM on VW and is a very good tire, and ditto for Michelin. Then there are Yokos in performance tire segment.
You get what suits your budget, you will not go wrong with either of them.
I am getting a buy back of Rs. 17500/- for the JK's. Budget wise I can spend another 15000 or so for the exchange. How much the Sportcontact cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
On a SX4, I would say, it is a MUST to change those stock JKs out of showroom as these totally spoils the NVH to a great extent.. but choices in 16 are limited.. if all you want is better FE, less noise then go for Primacy LC.. it would amaze you..
I heard Michelins are quite soft on side walls. How about long term reliability ?
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 14:27   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
I heard Michelins are quite soft on side walls. How about long term reliability ?
Yes, Primacy LC do have soft side walls.. not sure about other Michelins.. But yes, it won't last that long as the stock JK vectras, but it is quite reliable, otherwise, it won't be marketed as a premium tyre.. anyway, running the tyres for more than 3-4 years is not usually recommended.. think, you should be able to run about 30K-35K kms with the Primacy LC... the XM1 +1 would last longer and within your budget... but not sure if it is available in 205/65/16..

PS. I am using Primacy LC on my Civic and I love the NVH and FE...
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 14:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Dont even think about Conti Sportcontacts. They are very soft and they are not available in 16".

For you, the best option is the 205/60 R16 Conti CPC2. Michelin Primacy LC is good if you want outright comfort. However, they are very expensive, as you have realised.

The only Yoko in that size is the ES501. Doesnt have great road grip, but very quiet and comfortable.

The Bridgestone GR80 is not available. The GIII is available but a rubbish tyre. Forget Bridgestone totally.

Apollo Acelere is a good tyre and if you are on a budget, nothing wrong with it. However, it is not in the same league as the Conti.

From where did you get the offer of 17,500 for the JKs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
According to me (I don't have SX4 experience) Michelin is best tyre right now. Then comes Turanza and Yoko as far as any Sedan is concerned(comfort/safe factor).

JK tyres are not bad but you will find better ride and less noise only If you go for Michelin because other tyres might offer marginal differance compared to JK. I have seen JK vectras lasting for more than 60,000km in a car without single issue and I found ride is good as well.

My feeling you stick to JK or go for Michelin. and No need to upsize please for SX4 unless you want really bigger tyers

Ravi.
Michelin is best? How do you reach that conclusion?

There is NO such thing as BEST tyre. Everyone has different needs and there is no single tyre which can cater to everyone and be called as the best.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Hi DD, I hope you will decide tyre sutiable for your ride. All the best,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:28   #20
BHPian
 
mrwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 175
Thanked: Once
Default

DD please do post your final decision (including sale and puchase prices). Confirmed that the stock tyres on ZXi are unidirectional so I too would be very keen on changing them...
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:58   #21
BHPian
 
DigitalDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I was going through Yoko site and also some reviews. I found C-Drive stands to be one of the best regular tyres for everyday / moderately high speed drives. Some info:

The Yokohama C.drive has earned a reputation as the "must have" tyre for safety on wet roads. The C.drive's handling capability gives extra vehicle stability in emergency-swerve situations. Tyre industry experts tested the C.drive in three "real world" scenarios in over 280 test drives. The overwhelming conclusion was that the C.drive provides an extra margin o safety for the average motorist. Aside from safety, the C.drive is a sensible upgrade for your standard vehicle as the tyre is designed for sportier performance, a comfortable ride and low cabin noise.

The C.drive finished a 2007 Choice Tyre Test in first place with maximum points.

The C.drive evolved from the A539 pattern which was also a tyre test winner (2003 Wheel Magazine Tyre Test).


Tyre Gurus: what would be your comment ? Is it available anywhere in Bangalore ? The best part is it has tyres with the SX4 ZXi stock size - i.e. 205/60 - R16".
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 13:36   #22
BHPian
 
mrwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 175
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
DD please do post your final decision (including sale and puchase prices). Confirmed that the stock tyres on ZXi are unidirectional so I too would be very keen on changing them...
Apologies for the confusion caused, I believe they are NOT unidirectional, so won't be changing them... Details here (SX4 ZXi AT Test "Ride" , VXi MT Test Drive)
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I was going through Yoko site and also some reviews. I found C-Drive stands to be one of the best regular tyres for everyday / moderately high speed drives. Some info:

The Yokohama C.drive has earned a reputation as the "must have" tyre for safety on wet roads. The C.drive's handling capability gives extra vehicle stability in emergency-swerve situations. Tyre industry experts tested the C.drive in three "real world" scenarios in over 280 test drives. The overwhelming conclusion was that the C.drive provides an extra margin o safety for the average motorist. Aside from safety, the C.drive is a sensible upgrade for your standard vehicle as the tyre is designed for sportier performance, a comfortable ride and low cabin noise.

The C.drive finished a 2007 Choice Tyre Test in first place with maximum points.

The C.drive evolved from the A539 pattern which was also a tyre test winner (2003 Wheel Magazine Tyre Test).


Tyre Gurus: what would be your comment ? Is it available anywhere in Bangalore ? The best part is it has tyres with the SX4 ZXi stock size - i.e. 205/60 - R16".

Hey, could you please post the link to this review? Would be helpful to all of us.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 19:32   #24
BHPian
 
DigitalDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hey, could you please post the link to this review? Would be helpful to all of us.
The quote is from Yoko Australia site : Yokohama / OUR TYRES / C.drive.

However, similar reviews are there from users as well as other independent tyre review companies. Just google "yokohama C.rive review".

Sad part is in India, C.Drive is still not officially available except grey market. Cross checked with Yokohama Bangalore Resident Officer, Mr. Pachu.

After a lot of discussion with him and checking over net, I have finally decided to go for Yoko ASPEC A-348 215/60/16, which is the default tyre for Toyota Camry. Fantasic load index - 95V and excellent wet and dry grip, being the dB series its noiseless too and the side walls are not as soft as ES 501.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 22:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
The quote is from Yoko Australia site : Yokohama / OUR TYRES / C.drive.

However, similar reviews are there from users as well as other independent tyre review companies. Just google "yokohama C.rive review".

Sad part is in India, C.Drive is still not officially available except grey market. Cross checked with Yokohama Bangalore Resident Officer, Mr. Pachu.

After a lot of discussion with him and checking over net, I have finally decided to go for Yoko ASPEC A-348 215/60/16, which is the default tyre for Toyota Camry. Fantasic load index - 95V and excellent wet and dry grip, being the dB series its noiseless too and the side walls are not as soft as ES 501.
It's Appachu.

However, load index doesnt mean a damn thing. Apart from that, it does seem to be a very good tyre. Speak to vinaydas here on TBHP. He is using those tyres on his Camry.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:47   #26
BHPian
 
BurningHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 427
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: SX4 Zxi, JK Vectra Stock Tyres, should I change to low profile tyres ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Dont even think about Conti Sportcontacts. They are very soft and they are not available in 16".

For you, the best option is the 205/60 R16 Conti CPC2. Michelin Primacy LC is good if you want outright comfort. However, they are very expensive, as you have realised.

The only Yoko in that size is the ES501. Doesnt have great road grip, but very quiet and comfortable.

The Bridgestone GR80 is not available. The GIII is available but a rubbish tyre. Forget Bridgestone totally.

Apollo Acelere is a good tyre and if you are on a budget, nothing wrong with it. However, it is not in the same league as the Conti.

From where did you get the offer of 17,500 for the JKs?
Nikhil,
I am taking a cruze delivery on Thursday. How much can I get for my stock vectras rightout of showroom?
I found that Michelin plc is 9300 a piece. What about cpc2?
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do cars with low profile tyres tramline more? GTO Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 19 4th October 2010 18:56
Which Tyres Are Better? Tubeless Or Low Profile? 1self Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 26th October 2009 12:24
Advantages of Low profile tyres ??? roopakr Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 3 30th April 2007 16:13
Does Low profile tyres reduce the life of suspension? a4_attitude Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 3 22nd September 2005 02:45
Pros & Cons of low profile tyres? satish_appasani Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 17th September 2004 21:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks