Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:23   #61
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
7J is over over kill. Don't go beyond 6-6.5J for 195 tyres.
Hmmmm ...... , now what ???? i dont think my wantred design is available in any other specs or then I go in for 16 inchers which I aint too keen about ....... or maybe back to a bigger size on teh roiginal radials ...

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:46   #62
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Guys, Im getting more and more confused ..... Anyways the specs on the alloys that Im thinking of getting are as follows ---

Offset - 37
Size - 7J *15
tyre size - 195/60
PDF -- 100

Now is this combination ok or will I have to wtach out for something ????
Suppose the stock wheel is 5J with an offset of 45 mm (not sure of this, just assume it). Then if your 7J wheel also had the same offset of 45 mm, the new wheel's centre plane would coincide with that of the stock wheel. So the new wheel would go in by 1" towards the inside (i.e., suspension) as compared to stock wheel and also jut out by 1" towards the outside. It is desirable to maintain stock offset as long as there is no fouling. But you may not have the additional clearance of 1" from suspension to maintain stock offset in the 7J wheels.

Since your offset is 37 mm against the assumed 45 mm stock, your new wheel will actually go in further towards suspension components by about 17.4 mm and jut out additionally towards the outside by 33.4 mm, as compared to stock. So you see that by reducing the offset from stock by 8 mm, you have gained an additional clearance of 8 mm from the suspension and your wheel juts out additionally by the same figure. The reduction of 8 mm in offset could be necessary to avoid fouling with suspension, but since the wheel juts out additionally, the possibility of fouling with wheel arch on full turn will increase.

I think it is advisable not to increase the wheel width by more than one inch from the stock width. Otherwise the possibility of fouling increases and clearances should be carefully checked before going in for the wheels.

Last edited by rks : 23rd July 2007 at 23:54.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 00:04   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Hmmmm ...... , now what ???? i dont think my wantred design is available in any other specs or then I go in for 16 inchers which I aint too keen about ....... or maybe back to a bigger size on teh roiginal radials ...

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Suppose the stock wheel is 5J with an offset of 45 mm (not sure of this, just assume it). Then if your 7J wheel also had the same offset of 45 mm, the new wheel's centre plane would coincide with that of the stock wheel. So the new wheel would go in by 1" towards the inside (i.e., suspension) as compared to stock wheel and also jut out by 1" towards the outside. It is desirable to maintain stock offset as long as there is no fouling. But you may not have the additional clearance of 1" from suspension to maintain stock offset in the 7J wheels.

Since your offset is 37 mm against the assumed 45 mm stock, your new wheel will actually go in further towards suspension components by about 17.4 mm and jut out additionally towards the outside by 33.4 mm, as compared to stock. So you see that by reducing the offset from stock by 8 mm, you have gained an additional clearance of 8 mm from the suspension and your wheel juts out additionally by the same figure. The reduction of 8 mm in offset could be necessary to avoid fouling with suspension, but since the wheel juts out additionally, the possibility of fouling with wheel arch on full turn will increase.

I think it is advisable not to increase the wheel width by more than one inch from the stock width. Otherwise the possibility of fouling increases and clearances should be carefully checked before going in for the wheels.

Sir as told before the swift can take 7J x 17 rims easily it will not touch any part as I am using the same since more than 1.5 yrs.

Khaadhu I would say stop thinking or discussing or you will get more confused. Go for XXX/ 50 R 16 tyre without thinking further. and you will enjoying after that....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 00:11   #64
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,384 Times
Default

L_B_M, 7J with 195 is not advisable. you need atleast 215 on 7J rims.

Khaadu, the perfect size is 195/60-15 on 6J or 6.5J rims. they will give the best compromise between ride and handling.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 00:17   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
L_B_M, 7J with 195 is not advisable. you need atleast 215 on 7J rims.

Khaadu, the perfect size is 195/60-15 on 6J or 6.5J rims. they will give the best compromise between ride and handling.
Sir ji I am saying the same. he can go for 7 inch width of the rim with no problem but the width of the tyre he has to decide himself which he is getting. if the 195 tyre on a 7J rim is put it looks bad also...
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 00:22   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 363
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

15''ers or 16''ers max i would say. I'd say , you must take a look at the 205/60/r 14 available from hankook or if really feel like splurging, go for yokos in 15''.

my 2 cents

rev

Last edited by rev_hard : 24th July 2007 at 00:25.
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 01:00   #67
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir as told before the swift can take 7J x 17 rims easily it will not touch any part as I am using the same since more than 1.5 yrs.

Khaadhu I would say stop thinking or discussing or you will get more confused. Go for XXX/ 50 R 16 tyre without thinking further. and you will enjoying after that....
But what are the specs of your wheel as compared to those of the wheel that Khaadu is considering? You may have gotten lucky with your offset and avoided fouling. Are you sure that Khaadu can do the same with his proposed wheel, which has an offset of 37 mm? I think what Khaadu can do is fit the wheel and check the clearances from the underside (including while turning) to make sure that there is no fouling. And then fit tyres of appropriate size depending on requirements of handling and ride comfort.

Last edited by rks : 24th July 2007 at 01:09.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 01:45   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I am using 215/45/17 tyre it is quite broad than the stock size. but none of the tyre touches any where. no arch scraping no suspension touch. no touch even when I turn the steering completely
LBM - Please check before you post, you are running 215/40 not 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
7J is over over kill. Don't go beyond 6-6.5J for 195 tyres.
I agree completely with Vid here.

Khaadu - 7J is a complete no-no for 195's, you need a minimum of 205's & the ideal size would be 215's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Khaadu, the perfect size is 195/60-15 on 6J or 6.5J rims. they will give the best compromise between ride and handling.
Again I agree, have this combo on a close friend's car & it works very well.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 09:58   #69
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Guys , Seems I aint anywhere closer that I was 3 pages ago about choosing the alloys and tyres :-( !!!

Now what ....

What I have figured out so far from all the fancy words -- and links is that

1. Offset shoudl be 42 or above --- what wud be the negative effect of an offset of 37 ??
2. PCD should be 100 which it luckily has ( thank god for small mercies )
3. The tyre size should be 195/60 R 15 -- the brand is still a big question which we havn't yet addressed .

Now can some one pls explain in simple english and not give me links to some fancy sites which make no sense to me .

Cheers

Last edited by khaadu75 : 24th July 2007 at 10:02.
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 10:35   #70
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

195 Section width is fine on 7J X 15 wheel when profile is anything 50 and above. Gunbir's Getz is running on 7J X 15 wheels shod with 195/50 R15 Michelin Pilot Precedas.

I don't know why offset is such a big issue. The variation in commonly available offset in 100mm PCD rims is not much. Most common offsets available are 35 / 38 & 40. I think if upsized tyre is clear from touching or fouling from suspension etc. then rest does not matter much with +/-5mm of offset variation.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 11:57   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

With 7j u will get the max out of the tyre but the ride quality would be bad in comparison 6j ones. Also the alloys might stick out of the rubber which doesn't look good.
I somehow feel the 7j x15 allloy with negative offset might be for the SUV's.

Last edited by kpzen : 24th July 2007 at 12:03.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 12:00   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I somehow feel the 7j x15 allloy might be for the SUV's.
that to with a wider tyre....like anything above 215
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 12:24   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
1. Offset shoudl be 42 or above --- what wud be the negative effect of an offset of 37 ??
CORRECT OFFSET OR ZERO OFFSET







NEGATIVE OFFSET




Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
3. The tyre size should be 195/60 R 15 -- the brand is still a big question which we havn't yet addressed .
Depending on tyre availability these are the best possible options
1. Michelin Pilot Preceda
2. Yokohama ES100
3. Yokohama AVS sport
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 12:46   #74
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

@kpzen, It is not clear from the picture whether the wheels you show actually have zero offset and negative offset. The offset is zero if the wheel mounting face is flush with the centre plane of the wheel. What you show as zero and negative offset actually look like positive and (close to) zero to me, but I could be wrong.

The correct offset is not necessarily zero offset. The correct offset is the offset of the stock wheel. For the swift it is +42 mm. What you call as zero offset is perhaps the difference between stock offset and that of the alloy. This should ideally be zero, but not always possible.

@khaadu, as pointed out by Autophile, a variation of 5 mm from the stock offset should be fine. In my case my alloys have an offset of 26 mm against the stock figure of 46 mm. I can see the difference in the steering at very high speeds (130+ kmph). The car does not track quite as well at these speeds around bends as it used to earlier.

Last edited by rks : 24th July 2007 at 12:51.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 12:48   #75
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I would recommend standard 15" alloys with 205/55/15, Tyre choice would be

1> Yokohoma Advan Neova
2> Yokohoma AVS Sport
3> Yokohoma ES 100
4> Dunlop SP 9000

This is what i would put.

viper

Last edited by viper : 24th July 2007 at 12:56.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Pics of Old Honda City - 17"ers club_honda Modifications & Accessories 36 11th February 2010 19:53
Looking for 16" White Multispoke Alloys for Swift (Mumbai) Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 21st June 2008 02:22
Audi RS5 "M3 beater?" to be launched early next year "PICS" highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 9 18th May 2007 01:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks