Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 14:46   #211
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Just wanted to add, if I factor in the 2% error due to the upgrade, the actual mileage would be 10.1 x 102% = 10.3 km/lit
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 16:29   #212
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 259 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Just wanted to add, if I factor in the 2% error due to the upgrade, the actual mileage would be 10.1 x 102% = 10.3 km/lit
Dinu... Good catch... Looks like the mileage is perfect.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 09:36   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

Hi Civic owners,

The day has come today to take delivery of my new Civic. I would like to upgrade the tyres to 205/65/15 and retain the OEM alloys soon out of the showroom. From what I read from this thread is that the Michelin XM1+ or PP2 are good options. I am looking at reducing road noise, good ride and handling.

1) Could you please tell me which one (XM1+ or PP2) would be better?
2) Price of XM1+ and PP2 approximately in Delhi?
3) Any particular place/shops in Delhi that I should look for?
4) How much would my stock 195/65/15 get?
5) Would the car need wheel alignment and balancing with the new tyres?

Appreciate your helps! Cheers!

Last edited by iTNerd : 4th November 2009 at 09:44.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 09:55   #214
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hi Civic owners,

The day has come today to take delivery of my new Civic. I would like to upgrade the tyres to 205/65/15 and retain the OEM alloys soon out of the showroom. From what I read from this thread is that the Michelin XM1+ or PP2 are good options. I am looking at reducing road noise, good ride and handling.

1) Could you please tell me which one (XM1+ or PP2) would be better?
2) Price of XM1+ and PP2 approximately in Delhi?
3) Any particular place/shops in Delhi that I should look for?
4) How much would my stock 195/65/15 get?
5) Would the car need wheel alignment and balancing with the new tyres?

Appreciate your helps! Cheers!
PP2 probably is better but is not available in 205 65 R15. The size available is 205 60 R15 which will reduce the GC which is not recommended especially for the Civic.
You can look at XM1+ or Primacy LC in 205 65 R15. If you want to look at other brands, I would highly recommend Bridgestone Turanza ER60 205 65 R15 which I am running on my Civic.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 14:23   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
PP2 probably is better but is not available in 205 65 R15. The size available is 205 60 R15 which will reduce the GC which is not recommended especially for the Civic.
You can look at XM1+ or Primacy LC in 205 65 R15. If you want to look at other brands, I would highly recommend Bridgestone Turanza ER60 205 65 R15 which I am running on my Civic.
I am basically zeroing on Primary LC 205/65/15.. the price I was quoted from few dealers are between 5400-5500 per tyre.. is that a good price?

Also, for the old stock tyres, if it is bridgestone, they are ready to take it back at 3600 per tyre, and 3900 per tyre if it is XM1+. How is that buyback price?
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 14:30   #216
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I am basically zeroing on Primary LC 205/65/15.. the price I was quoted from few dealers are between 5400-5500 per tyre.. is that a good price?

Also, for the old stock tyres, if it is bridgestone, they are ready to take it back at 3600 per tyre, and 3900 per tyre if it is XM1+. How is that buyback price?
The Primacy price seems to be high, but the buyback seems to be good.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:59   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
The Primacy price seems to be high, but the buyback seems to be good.
Now got the Michelin PLC 205/65/15 (all 5 of them). Only paid 8K after the buyback. The ride is very comfortable now, with almost no noise.. it also gained a good 6mm GC.

Any idea how much psi should be maintained on 205/65/15?
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 17:53   #218
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Now got the Michelin PLC 205/65/15 (all 5 of them). Only paid 8K after the buyback. The ride is very comfortable now, with almost no noise.. it also gained a good 6mm GC.

Any idea how much psi should be maintained on 205/65/15?
30-32psi should be fine, I guess. I normally maintain 32 on the Turanza. Rides comfortably
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:21   #219
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Next fuel top up update - 279Km in 27.28 lit = 10.23km/lit, add the speedo error of 2% = 10.43km/lit. Pretty good FE. So, I guess no FE drop due to the upgrade, phew!!!
The increase in GC continues to bring a smile, I am able to take most speedbreakers with increased confidence.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 13:41   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Dinu: Your experience has encouraged me to upgrade my tires as well to 205 65 R15 in all probability when the tires are due for upgrade (or maybe a little sooner as well).

All - I have a few more Qs about the ideal upgrade for civic A/T keeping the following priorities in mind (loosely in that order of importance).

- The upgrade should not require me to change my stock alloys

- I'm looking for a little better grip of course on cornering (hence the upgrade) but impact on FE should be minimal. (I don't need super size upgrades)

- Ground clearance should improve as much as possible keeping in mind above parameters.

- Road noise should not increase. Reduction is obviously preferable.

- Ride quality should not suffer too much - I recognise there may be some compromise here which is acceptable for getting the above aspects.

Specifications

From what I've read 205 65 R15 seem the perfect upgrade keeping in mind the above, unless someone suggests otherwise.

Brand / Model options

What would be the ideal brand / model option for the actual tire? The tyres must not be directional. That's the reason I have not included the potenza GIII's in the list below which I had in my earlier swift.

Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Michelin XM1
Michelin PPs.
Yokos (what model?)
Any other?

I don't mind spending a little extra for the tyres that best meet the above requirements.

Thanks
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:02   #221
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 2,956 Times
Default

205/65 R15 doesnt come in Michelin PP2s. So, you can rule that out.

The options are XM1+, Primacy LC, BS ER60, Yoko A drive and V550, Conti CPC2.

My pick for outright silence and comfort are the Primacy LCs. None of these tyres are directional. The ER60 is priced close to the CPC2 and the CPC2 is a faaaaar superior tyre in every way.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:45   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,707
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Next fuel top up update - 279Km in 27.28 lit = 10.23km/lit, add the speedo error of 2% = 10.43km/lit. Pretty good FE. So, I guess no FE drop due to the upgrade, phew!!!
The increase in GC continues to bring a smile, I am able to take most speedbreakers with increased confidence.
Excellent mate ! Thanks for keeping the FE figures updated. As you see, your experience tempts every other Civic owner to go in for the tyre upgrade. All the best and keep us updated.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:53   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Try to go for a 225/50r17 profile if what you want is primarily looks.Or if you don't want any drop in performance go for the 205/55 r15.
Because the 17 incher's do try to suck some power out though they look uber cool.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 17:08   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,707
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Try to go for a 225/50r17 profile if what you want is primarily looks.Or if you don't want any drop in performance go for the 205/55 r15.
Because the 17 incher's do try to suck some power out though they look uber cool.
How significant would be the impact on performance of going in for 205/55/R15 as opposed to the 205/65/R15 which seems to be the universal choice. Also, is 205/55/R15 available under all brands?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 22:06   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

Hey guys.. just to let you know that I upsized my Civic's shoes to Michelin Primacy LC 205/65/15 just out of the showroom.. and what I can say - So far, I am very statisfied with them.. it delivers on the 3 promises - better FE, lower noise and very comfortable ride without compromizing on handling... the only drawback is the looks.. it is not a good looker.. if you are looking for comfort, better FE, I would recommend Primacy LC

on 30 psi, got around 12.8 for the first 500 odd kms..
on 32 psi, got around 13.7 for the next 236 kms...

PS. @dinu2506 - As there is a 2% speedo error, how much would my effective FE would be, according to the reading?

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th November 2009 at 22:08.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 321 27th May 2017 21:12
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Kenneth Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 110 11th May 2017 23:41
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread drajesh Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 305 8th May 2017 23:55
Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread sunnyman_46 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 32 13th October 2016 14:49
Honda Accord : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread ab500 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 27 27th May 2016 17:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks