Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th April 2010, 09:03   #256
BHPian

Just wanted to buy better brand with lesser road noise (something like Primacy LC) but if that's an issue, I will go with the same Bridgestones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Not sure, but it would always be safer to use the same brand I guess. As our cars are designed for that. You can also do rotation etc.
Why would you worry about choosing a different brand?

BTW, is your uneven tyre wear problem solved? I too have uneven tyre wear in one of my rear wheels. Got the alignment and stuff fixed.
I got it checked at two different Honda workshops and they confirmed that shock absorbers and bearings are fine.

They said that uneven tyre wearing may be because tyre rotation was never done.

So, when I install the new ones, then I will get to know that the problem is solved or not.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:40   #257
Senior - BHPian

I got a wave pattern wear on rear right tyre inner side.
It's bad enough that it can be noticed easily in a sight.
I got it fixed at Honda showroom, but I don't trust them completely.
I am due for new tyre set all around. But I am worried if the issue is not fixed I will be ruining my new set.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:08   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I have got 2 new tyres in my Civic now. I bought one tyre and one spare unused tyre I have put in the front and as per the tyre shop, the rear 2 tyres have good tread left for 4-5k kms.
I have done the same I also had almost new one tyre used for 3-4K in fron and one of my tyre was bald in between so I bought one Bridgestone B250 from chandigarh 4300 and put 2 tyres in front and 2 best tyres (in existing lot) in back with around 30% tread life left in that.
I hope them to last at least 10K keeping them in back always.
BTW my civic has completed 27600 in 26 monyhs of ownership.

Wanted to change 4 to 205/65/R15 but got confused a lot bet. Xm1+, Yoko A, CPC2.... price was huge and I was not ready to put 20K+ just in 2 years of ownership.
I think in this setup I would be tension free for at least one year and then Would choose best tyre available as per my need.

BTW dealer was saying that micheline would start manufacturing tyres from india plant which would be operational by year end and then price of michelin tyres would be in range to bridgestone.

He showed me letter from michelin which clearly stated about investment made in india which was 4000 crore and tentative dates of plant getting started..... so seems good news for michelin fans.
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:11   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
To maintain the stability of the car, you should always put new set of tyres in the rear. It's a common mistake most people do.
New tyres in the rear prevents your tail swinging out of control (oversteering), which can be extremely dangerous during hard cornering / braking situations.
I am not sure about this statement if you have tyres which have treads visible then to last them long enough you should keep them in rear and keep new tyres in front because front tyres wear out faster than rear ones and in case of sudden breaking fron tyres takes much more load than rear ones.
Otherwise, If tyres are almost bald then you should not keep them in any case.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:32   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

lalit --- Michelin is not going to make car tyres in India for a long time. The plant coming up is for their truck tyres to begin with.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:22   #261
BHPian

Post New tyres always on Rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
I am not sure about this statement if you have tyres which have treads visible then to last them long enough you should keep them in rear and keep new tyres in front because front tyres wear out faster than rear ones and in case of sudden breaking fron tyres takes much more load than rear ones.
Otherwise, If tyres are almost bald then you should not keep them in any case.
Michelin web site advises to put new tyres always on the rear for safety.
(it has to do with under/over-steer in emergency manoeuvres).

Unfortunately I had to put my new PLC in the front since my old rear ones had just been rotated and I did not want to mess with its wear & tear.

Last edited by manim : 6th April 2010 at 17:26.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:01   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
lalit --- Michelin is not going to make car tyres in India for a long time. The plant coming up is for their truck tyres to begin with.
Oh Dealer told me that only and i did not checked it on internet...... my mistake....
Old 19th April 2010, 12:47   #263
BHPian

After scouring through this thread have zeroed down on 2 options

Michelin Primacy-LC
Yokohama (not sure about the tire model)

both in 205 65 R15 size

I am being quoted Rs 5725 for the Michelin haven't check the Yokohama yet but that's probably in the sub Rs 5000 range.

Does the Michelin price seem too high if so any recommended tire dealers in mumbai for both michelin and yokohama who can offer a fair deal.

Thanks
wysiwyg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 10:09   #264
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Michelin web site advises to put new tyres always on the rear for safety.
(it has to do with under/over-steer in emergency manoeuvres).
Reason for that being, to the average "junta", understeer (when front runs out of grip) is far easier to control / correct than oversteer (rear running out of grip). In fact, some manufacturers intentionally tune understeer into their cars.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 03:04   #265
Senior - BHPian

Could not agree more - had a major oversteer in My baleno in 2007 on while I was executing a turn on a slightly wet road. The car swerved from the left road shoulder to the right shoulder couple of times - was lucky to be able to control as well the fact that there was no oncoming traffic.

It was good to be in the Baleno (my other car was a Santro in those days) as the car did not topple due to extremely low centre of gravity.

I was surprised - I was not too fast ~ 70 kmph on a corner. And the baleno is not a bad handling car. In addition I had already upgraded to 185/65R14 tires from the original 165/80R13 the car came with.

Came home and realized that one of the rear tires had no air in it about 2 psi or so. So a simple case of rear losing grip before the front but mind boggling to control on a wet road.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 13:46   #266
Senior - BHPian

My Civic tyres had completely worn out so much so that I postponed a few outstation trips.

Just got all 5 of them replaced with CPC 205/65/R15 V rated tyres.

Got it done at Madhu Enterprises. Great service, everything got done pretty quickly.

These tyres are so much more silent than the dumb Bridgestone ones I had earlier.

Have a couple of long drives lined up. Want to see how the car handles now. Had been driving on bad tyres for quite a while now.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 22:51   #267
BHPian

CPC 205/65/R15

CPC? Which brand is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
My Civic tyres had completely worn out so much so that I postponed a few outstation trips.

Just got all 5 of them replaced with CPC 205/65/R15 V rated tyres.

Got it done at Madhu Enterprises. Great service, everything got done pretty quickly.

These tyres are so much more silent than the dumb Bridgestone ones I had earlier.

Have a couple of long drives lined up. Want to see how the car handles now. Had been driving on bad tyres for quite a while now.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 23:47   #268
Senior - BHPian

Continental. I believe CPC stands for Conti Premium Contacts.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 16:40   #269
BHPian

Default GoodYear Duraplus

Primacy-LC for Civic 195/65/15 is presently not available in Chennai, Madurai, etc.
I was offered GoodYear Duraplus.
I am presently searching TeamBhp and the net for reviews.
Any advice? is it good?
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 13:48   #270
Senior - BHPian

From my experience, I would strongly suggest Michelin Primacy LC. Try if 205 size is available. I went for that. I hear that Conti CPC2 is also a good general purpose tyre for civic even though it may not be as silent as Michelins. The Goodyear NCT5 I had as OEM were pathetic. Not sure about Duraplus. It's USP seems to be durability and FE. May suite better for high milers. Not sure how does it fare on comfort and handling.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote