Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th August 2007, 14:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've faced the very same problem of losing tyres pressure of 2-3 Psi every month..and hence switched to Nitrogen..
Looks like Tubeless tyres here are not upto the mark.
This pressure loosing problem is shared by others too... :(
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 15:01   #62
BHPian

With experience i admit that for Indian road conditions tube tyres are better ........

Even a slight bend of rim if driven hard on potholed roads can deflate or even burst the tubeless tyre. This is exactly why i am changing to alloys in my Aveo bcoz alloys have more strength.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 15:20   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone please explain in simple language (I'm not a scientist) why one gas will leak and another will not? The pressures being the same? I'm very puzzled by this!

I don't think loosing a pound or two in a month is a problem. Tires should be checked/inflated more often than this anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 15:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think loosing a pound or two in a month is a problem. Tires should be checked/inflated more often than this anyway.
I agree, it's normal phenomenon to lose a couple of pounds a month air pressure from tyres so I don't think there is a problem there.

And as for the inspection one should do a visual inspection of the car's tyres every day before starting off (to detect any flats or low pressure due to leaks) and go in for a pressure check every week.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Interesting.. Can someone tell me where in Bangalore I can fill Nitrogen? When I get new TL .. if the shop is a reputed one, would they fill it with nito if asked?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

All good tyre stores will have nitrogen. They charge 50 bucks per tyre, sometimes it is complementary when you get your tyres/wheels changed.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Drive down to Shiva's on BEL new road. I think he does a Nitrogen fill.

Else the best place is opp' St.Josephs college.
Richmond circle , take a right towards double road and the 1st signal take a left. 1st shop in the corner.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 01:15   #68
Team-BHP Support

Reat the nitrogen thread, I did specific experiments with Nitrogen and my conclusion is that if you get it for 1 Re /tyre go for it, otherwise not worth it.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 12:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Looks like Tubeless tyres here are not upto the mark.
This pressure loosing problem is shared by others too... :(
A friend of mine has this complaint of his tubeless tyres loosing pressure very often. He gets monthly air check, and every time, he fills 30 and is left with only around 27-28 psi by next visit. And this happens with all four tyres. Any explanation?

Got this from bridgestone "tips on tyre care" " New tyres tend to expand over initial period and increases its volume. This decreases the pressure so check tyres frequently up to 3000 km"
This could explain my observations of drop in pressure in the first two tyre pressure check taken about 2 weeks apart.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 13:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please explain in simple language (I'm not a scientist) why one gas will leak and another will not? The pressures being the same? I'm very puzzled by this!

The normal air that we breathe and put in our tyres consist of 21% Oxygen and 78% Nitrogen.
Oxygen has smaller molecules as compared to Nitrogen so comparatively easy to escape.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 00:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Water vapor (humidity) can make up as much as 5 percent of the volume of air under worst-case conditions. Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, and it replaces skinny oxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules, reducing the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. That means, theoretically at least, that a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage

Quote:
First, the density of humid air fluctuates more with temperature than that of dry air, so removing humidity can keep your tire pressure more consistent, especially when the temperature climbs over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quite common in places we drive.

Quote:
Humidity can also be a factor in wheel maintenance since pure nitrogen doesn't have moisture in it, supposedly your wheels won't rust as quickly, which could lead to improved wheel performance and air sealing

nitrogen is largely inert chemically at low (i.e., normal) temperatures, so it won't attack the rubber in your tires like oxygen does. Oxygen attack is something both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Ford Research have studied, and can be a problem for tires used for a long time or in rough conditions.
Typical of our road & weather conditions.

Source : The Straight Dope: Is it better to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 01:03   #72
Awaiting Email Confirmation

so? No final consensus on puncture proofing?
vidvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 01:16   #73
BHPian

The only reason some people are giving Tubeless a bad name is because they dont want to buy a new tyre. Some people just want to live by "fixing" and "plastering" things.

Indian roads dont need to change, its the mentality that needs to change.
eflanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 01:22   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
Indian roads dont need to change, its the mentality that needs to change.
Thats not really a very smart statement now, is it? Indian roads definitely need to change and that too for good. In some of the Indian roads it becomes difficult to just drive, tubeless or no tubeless, pressed metal rims or alloys... You do not drive on mentality but on tarmac. And sometimes a bone jarring ride means anything more than the rugged basic configuration can spell disaster at times.

Good part is that the highways are definitely showing signs of coming of age. It is now actually possible to do a 900 km stretch in a single day which was unthinkable even a couple of years back.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 22:31   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Pure gibberish. I have seen tubeless tyres for the last 6 years & never ever heard of this kind of argument. Only an ignorant person will talk like that. Side wall damage is directly related to poor quality tyres or poor maintenance of the same.
No. Sidewall damage is pure misfortune. Even the best quality tyre cannot survive cuts on the sidewall due to road hazards.
sn48001 is offline   Reply With Quote