Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 24th October 2008, 15:42   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

I just switched from tube type to tubeless tyres on my Corolla. Firstly, any regular maintenance/care routine to be followed? Secondly, where in Mumbai can I find :-

[i] a good quality pressure gauge to keep handy in the car?
[ii] a good quality repair kit for tubeless tyres?

...and how much would these items cost me?
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 18:31   #92
Senior - BHPian

Kit is around 350 rupees. 'Sarv' brand, manufacturer Sarveshwari Engineers.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 21:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sorry OT: Are there any known adverse issues in running a tubeless tyre with a tube.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 14:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Default A query

In case of tubeless tires, the deflation is at a slower rate. However, is it advisable to run the tires for some distance without getting them repaired?

i.e. can I have the tire inflated back to normal pressure and continue driving, despite knowing there is a puncture? Wont this damage the tire in anyway?

This might happen in two cases:
1. I don't realize for days at end that there is a puncture, simply because I might mistake it for loss of pressure
2. I am on a remote highway and no puncture repair shops are nearby so I have no choice but to run the tire despite knowing there is a puncture
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 14:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
In case of tubeless tires, the deflation is at a slower rate. However, is it advisable to run the tires for some distance without getting them repaired?

i.e. can I have the tire inflated back to normal pressure and continue driving, despite knowing there is a puncture? Wont this damage the tire in anyway?

This might happen in two cases:
1. I don't realize for days at end that there is a puncture, simply because I might mistake it for loss of pressure
2. I am on a remote highway and no puncture repair shops are nearby so I have no choice but to run the tire despite knowing there is a puncture
AFAIK-Yes you can go ahead and follow this.

I have travelled like this for like 200Kms(because of non availability of tubeless repair facility).

Last edited by akshay4587 : 27th October 2008 at 14:34.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 07:37   #96
BHPian

My Zen had Bridgestone Sr322's which were tube type tires but were installed by the tirewallah without tube. He said it was better that way. I took his word for it.
I ran it for about 17000 kms without any hiccups. But is it adviced to do so. Any safety issues?
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:19   #97
BHPian

my honda city purchased in July 2009 came with Goodyear 175/65/15's. last night i went for a dinner at sector 18 mkt, on the way back found one of the tyres to have punchered (driver side front side). i went to a tyre shop and discovered that the side wall was damaged. i have travelled only 8400 odd kms. is this normal? i usually travel in the delhi-ncr which has good metalled roads.
can i claim any tyre warranty? for any manufacturing defect as it is only 6 months from purcharse.
i did go to Ace Honda, noida - dealer from whom i purchased the car. he did call up goodyear person.he told me that he will arrange an tyre inspection by a person from goodyear on monday. if he agrees, then i may be paid on pro-rata basis as a tyre is supposed to last 40000kms. but from talks with him,it is unlikely as goodyear will accept it as a manufacturing defect. how to prove?
if i have to purchase a new tyre..need i have to for Goodyears only (as other 4 tyre) or can i choose any other band?
drkunaldas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:08   #98
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Are Tubeless actually more dangerous than the tube type tires?

I know this might sound like its idiotic. Actually even I am not even that must convinced with the theory.
I have a cousin who for a long time has been a proponent of tubeless tires, he in fact upgraded his earlier Indica tires to tubeless.

He was on a visit recently from Bangalore to Pondicherry. He mentioned that he was travelling at the speeds of 100-120. At this time he said that the tires got puntured and it literally blasted into pieces. Once that happend the brakes dint work effectively and the wheels (non alloy) screeched the road for some 10 feet.

In fact he was saying that after the tyre blast there was only something around 60% of the tyre left sticking to the wheel. Is that possible, or was he exagerating?

Bottomline, the theory he says is. If the tyre has tubes in it, the affected part would actually be only the tube and the car would (once punctured) rest on the tyres (with airless tubes) which has some amount of friction atleast.

But in case if there was some sharp object on the road like a knife etc. The tubeless tyre would blast (note I am not saying puncture) into pieces and screech on its wheels, which can be more damaging and in some cases more hazardous to the drivers and passengers.
He is now a preacher of tube type tyres, after this accident.

In western countries one doesnt encounter thinks like big knife or any such sharp object on the road but in India anything is possible.

What is your opinion?

Mods: I have posted topic here thinking its a question specific to Indian cars / road conditions. Please move it to appropriate thread if not

Last edited by xingamazon : 22nd August 2011 at 22:09.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:18   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Are Tubeless actually more dangerous than the tube type tires?

Indicas, at least the older ones, were known to have poor quality steel rims which bent easily. Running at speed over a pothole or sharp edge on the road bent the edge. If that happens, a tubeless tyre is more likely to deflate rapidly, or even burst due to the sudden loss of pressure (which a tubed tyre is less likely to suffer).

In any case, I presume the tyre blowout your cousin describes must have happened on a rear wheel - I doubt he would have retained control over the car if a front wheel blew out at 100-120 km/h.

More information here: Why do tyres blowout? | Motoring discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Important contributors would be:

1. Which brand of tyres
2. What was the tyre pressure on that day
3. Age of the tyres

There are a fair number of Thai/China manufactured tyres available at very low prices (relatively), which can tempt buyers. I'm not sure of their quality, so they may be good too, though.

Also tyres on the highway tend to heat up, and if the air pressure was high before starting the drive, it would have increased due to the heat. This could also contribute to the tyre blowing up.

The rubber of older tyres tend to harden and break-up, so instead of leaking air from the puncture, they disintegrate.

Or it could just have been a bad piece

I don't think it can be proven that the fact that these were tubeless tyres was or was not responsible for it disintegrating.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:06   #101
Senior - BHPian

Maybe next generation BMWs will use tube-type tires instead of RFTs :-)

The situations where tubeless tires are safer than tube-type tires far outnumber the alternative.

Slightly off-topic. Does ESP (if equipped) help in this situation?
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:07   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Indicas, at least the older ones, were known to have poor quality steel rims which bent easily. Running at speed over a pothole or sharp edge on the road bent the edge. If that happens, a tubeless tyre is more likely to deflate rapidly, or even burst due to the sudden loss of pressure (which a tubed tyre is less likely to suffer).

In any case, I presume the tyre blowout your cousin describes must have happened on a rear wheel - I doubt he would have retained control over the car if a front wheel blew out at 100-120 km/h.

More information here: Why do tyres blowout? | Motoring discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John.
One main correction. The car was Swift not Indica.

I said, he had put tubeless even in his previous indica. The Swift tubeless tyre was stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Important contributors would be:

1. Which brand of tyres
2. What was the tyre pressure on that day
3. Age of the tyres
The car was Swift and as far as my knowledge goes its stock tubeless tyres. Must have been pretty old 20k odd Kms I guess. Not sure about the tyre pressure

Last edited by xingamazon : 22nd August 2011 at 23:37.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:26   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
One main correction. The car was Swift not Indica.

I said, he had put alloy even in his previous indica. The Swift Alloy was stock.

The car was Swift and as far as my knowledge goes its stock tubeless tyres. Must have been pretty old 20k odd Kms I guess. Not sure about the tyre pressure
Quote:
...upgraded his earlier Indica tires to tubeless.
...the wheels (non alloy) screeched the road...
Umm... that's confusing. So finally you say it was a Swift ZXi with stock alloys running stock tubeless tyres? Could you check and confirm if these were JK Vectra tyres (that was the OE supply for a long time)? If yes, then this thread (JK Vectra tyres: Weird Failure) will explain why the tyre failed. Next time, ask him to buy some other more reliable brand!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bottomline, the theory he says is. If the tyre has tubes in it, the affected part would actually be only the tube and the car would (once punctured) rest on the tyres (with airless tubes) which has some amount of friction atleast.
/
/
What is your opinion?
Absolutely wrong , if the object punctured the tubeless tyre , it would easily cause a catastrophic failure in tubed tyres too . In fact for a tyre with tubes if something pierces through the tyre, then it would cause the tube to burst and the localised sudden outflow of air can even take out the tyre wall . Its more likely to happen in a tyre with tubes rather than tubeless ones because its easier to cause a catastrophic failure in the thin rubber of tubes rather than the tubeless tyres

Quote:
20K km is not too old for radials but as SS has mentioned , if its JK Vectras then I am not surprised . My Swift's JK Vectras had catastrophic failures in 2 of the 5 stock tyres !
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Umm... that's confusing. So finally you say it was a Swift ZXi with stock alloys running stock tubeless tyres? Could you check and confirm if these were JK Vectra tyres (that was the OE supply for a long time)? If yes, then this thread (JK Vectra tyres: Weird Failure) will explain why the tyre failed. Next time, ask him to buy some other more reliable brand!
Jeez SS-traveller thanks for pointing out. I wanted to say Swift Tubeless tyres I have corrected my post again as it was within the edit window.
Thanks for point that out.

My point is he mentioned that the tyre had blasted to the extend that there were very less portion of tyre left on the wheel (he mentioned 60%) was wanting to know is he exagerrating of is it possible in real sense.