Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 11th September 2007, 21:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
yes ... good suggestion Jaggu !! seeing as that's my dad's shop :P

But yes, your problem is due to wheel balancing. If you are using alloy wheels, make sure they use sticker weights. the normal weight can sometimes cause scratches on the surface. The sticker weights are marginally more expensive...but not by much.... very negligible.
And yes, get all your 5 wheels balanced. I say 5 because in case you have a puncture and you use the spare wheel, that could give you problems if it isnt balanced.
@leodelg --- Where do you stay ?
Oh oh! So those little stickers they stick on the alloys are actually lead weights?? I didnt realise that!! I thought it was some random sticker! It was there on a couple of tyres, but they have more or less completed gone off.

@Nikhil - I stay in GM Palya, near HAL Airport. But I guess it's worth a going over to your place to get the balancing done. Maybe you could put in a nice word or two to your dad..... hehehehe....
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 22:57   #17
Team-BHP Support

its not lil stickers rather lead weights on sticker which can be stuck on to the alloys, reason why i emphasized is since most of OE alloys have stickers stuck from QC (quality control/check) donot confuse with these.

anyways if you are planning on rotating ensure the wheels that will eventually fit in front are balanced, yeah the spare also, buts if you are not using spare once balanced it will hold good, if you are into the habit of checking air pressure for spare on a regular basis.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 23:53   #18
BHPian

Default Why balancing is required??

100+ small parts are put together to make a tyre. In such a scenario it is impossible to achieve 100% consistancy troughout the tyre. If a tyre is cut in 100s of equal pieces the weight of the each piece will be different this create some kind of static unbalance in the tyre.

When a tyre is mounted on the rim, the mounting is done without any nut or bolt, tyre holds on the rim simply by a bunch of wires called bead wires. In such case of mounting, again 100% consistancy can't be achieved.

The above mentioned difference in consistancy creates different amount of centrifugal force when the tyre is rotated at high speeds, this fluctuating centrifugal force acting on tyres creates steering to viberate.

To counter such a contdition additional lead weights are added to tyre-rim assembly to achieve smoother ride at high speeds as well.

Get your wheels balanced , aligned and rotated at every 4000-5000 km.

And dont forget to over-inflate your tyres by 3-5 psi when going for highway high speed driving.

Happy and safe driving.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 03:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post

thanks for the link, it gave me pretty much information which i never knew, thanks again

cheers
Nishant
kick.throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 05:22   #20
BHPian

Does the Baleno need rear wheel alignment also in addition to the front? I was trying to look this up, most sites say that rear wheel alignment is required if the car has independent suspension. I have no clue what this means for the Baleno. Gurus here?
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 22:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am yet to find a Wheel alignment person in Bangalore who uses Torque wrenches to tighten the wheel nuts. Only top professional setup has these kind of tools. Most Bangalore alignment folks tighten with a spanner and spoil the wheel nuts and sometimes the bolt itself.

Who in Bangalore has torque wrenches or spanners that give the right torque?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Would second that. They are pretty good. Been going to them for past 20k kms. I do wa/wb/wr every 4k.

The above mentioned guys have them.
Thank you for the compliment.

But I would like to correct you. even we dont use torque wrenches. Torque wrenches arent used much by shops selling tyres and service centres doing Balancing and Alignment.

But they are used pretty widely by automobile showrooms and those authroised service centres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

everybody has moved to air guns (aka F1 shtyle), they do pretty much the job as torque wrench.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
everybody has moved to air guns (aka F1 shtyle), they do pretty much the job as torque wrench.
yes...but with someone inexperienced using it, they can still spoil the nuts.

But on the whole, it is much better than the manual spanners. I hardly see those nowadays :P
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 07:37   #24
BHPian

Had the same problem yesterday. My Fiesta steering started shaking as soon as speed touched 120 kmph.

Funny thing is, it used to be perfectly fine until a while ago, when I got wheel aligment / balancing done by Tyre Empire in Whitefield, Bangalore. So, they probably did something wrong. Now, I will take to Ford service center for doing wheel balancing once again.
PYSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 20:11   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Wheel alignment or wheel balancing??

Hi

My car Aveo having steering vibration on 100kmph speed or even sometimes on lesser speed, its driven 15000kms....wheel balancing done twice in Trident Chevrolet showroom in 4 months....but again facing the same issue...now they are saying in alloy wheel paper weights are used like stickers so it gets peeled off easily. Please let me know the suggestions the what kind of paper weights can be used in alloy wheels and which is best shop in bangalore? I know there is solution to it...before I think of changing to normal rims
raka1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 21:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1o View Post
Hi

My car Aveo having steering vibration on 100kmph speed or even sometimes on lesser speed, its driven 15000kms....wheel balancing done twice in Trident Chevrolet showroom in 4 months....but again facing the same issue...now they are saying in alloy wheel paper weights are used like stickers so it gets peeled off easily. Please let me know the suggestions the what kind of paper weights can be used in alloy wheels and which is best shop in bangalore? I know there is solution to it...before I think of changing to normal rims
Get wheel alignment and balancing done from an exclusive tyre shop; A.S.S. do a lousy job. Have the correct tyre pressure maintained. Then, you'd know if the problem is with the alloys (unlikely).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 22:19   #27
BHPian

Thanks libranof1987 for your comment.

Another query - Alloy's will be light weight compare to normal RIMs, Does that affect the steering vibration, also regarding tyre pressure...Aveo std is 28psi but as I converted to Alloy's do I need maintain the same tyre pressure or increase it....the reason it strike my mind because my neighbour has reva and its std is 35psi...I thought psi is dependent on car weight
raka1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car Aveo having steering vibration on 100kmph speed ...
... wheel balancing done twice...
... but again facing the same issue...now they are saying in alloy wheel paper weights are used like stickers so it gets peeled off easily.
Sticker weights are used so that alloys don't get scratched. If you have problems, then use regular weights(insist on new), but, just ask the guy to be careful not to scratch the alloys. Regular weights rarely give way.
Quote:
Another query - Alloy's will be light weight compare to normal RIMs, Does that affect the steering vibration
Nope. Unless the aftermarket alloys are of very poor quality, there should not be any problems.

Quote:
, also regarding tyre pressure...Aveo std is 28psi but as I converted to Alloy's do I need maintain the same tyre pressure or increase it
If you have not changed the tyre spec, maintain manufacturer recommended pressure. but yes, you can always fiddle around a couple of psi's to find your comfortable ride/handling balance.

Quote:
....the reason it strike my mind because my neighbour has reva and its std is 35psi...I thought psi is dependent on car weight
Air pressure is dependent on the tyre spec and max payload combined.

Regarding a reliable place in Bangalore, read the thread backwards, you will find one.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote