Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th September 2013, 03:10   #166
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Vow .. and I thought it was just me who clocked 51k kms on the stock Apollos
Frankly dint have much expectations from the stock Apollos, thought they would last 30k and become noisy as hell but truly Apollo's quality has improved and its a value for money product now.

The db being a silica based Tyre should also improve the average. Do update on that too. congrats.
adi_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 12:39   #167
BHPian

Friends, What would be the ideal option for a sx4 zdi (alloy) tyre change. Currently using a Yokohoma 215/60/R16 . The vehicle has run around 40k and the tyres are more prone to puncture and would like to decide what would be the ideal option.

My driving consist of 50% highway and city(kerala) with rough roads (pot holes).

The issue i had faced with yoko was the sidewall being very soft and more prone to punctures.

I was looking at bridgestone/Good year .Please let me know your opnions.

Thanks
sandeep3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 23:27   #168
BHPian

I too intend to change all of my JK Vectra stock tyres on my SX4 Zxi, that is 205/60/16. Surprisingly, or maybe not so considering we are talking about JK Vectra, I have done only about 23K on the odo, one tyre is sort of warped and the treads opening up (literally), and I dont know what happened to another that is strangely de-shaped.

I enquired at a local dealer, who offered two tyres: BS MY02, and GY Assurance ArmorGrip. The former was priced at 8300, while the GY was for 6800. The dealer however insisted that I take the Good Year instead of the Bridgestone. In fact, he was quite insistent about it. He based his argument on the tyre having Kevlar instead of Steel. Kevlar is used in the making of bullet proof vests and is stronger than steel, I know that, but what would it be like in the tyre, no idea. I have not yet decided, but considering the Kevlar, and the fact that I have to change all 5, I would probably go in for the GoodYear Assurance.
vivprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 22:02   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
I too intend to change all of my JK Vectra stock tyres on my SX4 Zxi, that is 205/60/16. Surprisingly, or maybe not so considering we are talking about JK Vectra, I have done only about 23K on the odo, one tyre is sort of warped and the treads opening up (literally), and I dont know what happened to another that is strangely de-shaped. I enquired at a local dealer, who offered two tyres: BS MY02, and GY Assurance ArmorGrip. The former was priced at 8300, while the GY was for 6800. The dealer however insisted that I take the Good Year instead of the Bridgestone. In fact, he was quite insistent about it. He based his argument on the tyre having Kevlar instead of Steel. Kevlar is used in the making of bullet proof vests and is stronger than steel, I know that, but what would it be like in the tyre, no idea. I have not yet decided, but considering the Kevlar, and the fact that I have to change all 5, I would probably go in for the GoodYear Assurance.
Please let me know if you were offered any buy back price for your current tyres, tyre experts please suggest which among the two(my02/gy assurance) would be good choice got both highway and Kerala City roads(potholes)
Old 12th November 2013, 21:51   #170
BHPian

Ok, so I got new tyres today, and opted for the GY Assurance. Cost me 6800.00 apiece. Replaced the entire set of 5, with balancing and alignment free.

No, there was no buy back, as the dealer said that people who drive these do not buy second hand tyres so they do not take them. But this will vary from dealer to dealer I guess.

The drive home was comfortable. It was softer, and there was much less noise. I will take it on the highway one of these days, and then post the experience. The drive home today was very short.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:14   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post

will take it on the highway one of these days, and then post the experience. The drive home today was very short.
How was your experience with GY Assurance , Can you post a short review .

How was the over all ride and comfort
Old 6th January 2014, 06:09   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
How was your experience with GY Assurance , Can you post a short review .

How was the over all ride and comfort
Its been about a couple of months since I switched to the Goodyear Assurance, and I am quite happy. Comfortable ride, and well balanced. The city of course is no problem, but I also did some 800 kms on the highway in December. Part of this highway is under widening, and hence rough, but I was quite happy with the feel. The bulk of the drive however was on the NH 24, and I took the SX4 to 170 kmph but was at 160 for longer. At that speed, with the highway empty, for a brief period of about 3-5 seconds, I let the steering go, and the car held absolutely steady, straight. Mostly, I maintained speed around 120 kmph. The noise though was a little more than I expected, but at those speeds, its fine, and also, quite a difference from the JK Vectra stocks. Nutshell, I am satisfied for the moment.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:37   #173
BHPian

Planing to change my SX4 VXI tyres from 195/65/R15 to 195/60/R15. Was considering the following options:
1. Bridgestone Potenza GIII- Heard they have been discontinued? Better alternative?
2. Yokohama ES100- Do they ware out fast and produce alot of sound post 6k kms.
3.Yokohama V550 AVS DB

Or any other?

Wanted to know what option would be best considering a balance between performance and tyre life but slightly oriented towards performance Mostly drive in Mumbai city traffic and go for Mumbai-Pune-Goa drives.
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 15:49   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Planing to change my SX4 VXI tyres from 195/65/R15 to 195/60/R15. Was considering the following options:
1. Bridgestone Potenza GIII- Heard they have been discontinued? Better alternative?
3.Yokohama V550 AVS DB

Or any other?

Wanted to know what option would be best considering a balance between performance and tyre life but slightly oriented towards performance Mostly drive in Mumbai city traffic and go for Mumbai-Pune-Goa drives.
Yoko S Drives? ES100s would wear out quicker and are quite noisy. I think AVSDB is more comfort oriented tyre than performance. You could also look at Michelin Pilots (extremely expensive)
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 16:08   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3.Yokohama V550 AVS DB

Or any other?

Why in heaven's name would you want to reduce the sidewall height??
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 16:12   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Why in heaven's name would you want to reduce the sidewall height??
Wouldn't a smaller wall result in better cornering?
Old 26th February 2014, 18:50   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't a smaller wall result in better cornering?
Yes, but unless you are going to be driving on a race track, you wont know it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 18:58   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Yes, but unless you are going to be driving on a race track, you wont know it.
How much of a difference will 5mm make on the suspension? And besides after 120 the SX4 feels light on the steering so I thought reducing the GC would help.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:06   #179
BHPian

Need to change the tyres on a SX4 Zdi

The option i have is as follows

Good year assurance -205/60R16 costing about 5800 per tyre

Bridgestone Turanza ER370 -215/60/R16 costing about 8700 per tyre

Michellin primacy 3ST -205/60R16 costing about 9k Per tyre

Wanted to know if we can go with a 215/60R16 on a SX4 as the stock size is 205/60R16 ?

Any feedbacks and suggestion on the above variants.
Old 13th May 2014, 21:59   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Need to change the tyres on a SX4 Zdi

The option i have is as follows

Good year assurance -205/60R16 costing about 5800 per tyre

Bridgestone Turanza ER370 -215/60/R16 costing about 8700 per tyre

Michellin primacy 3ST -205/60R16 costing about 9k Per tyre

Wanted to know if we can go with a 215/60R16 on a SX4 as the stock size is 205/60R16 ?

Any feedbacks and suggestion on the above variants.
215/55 would be the correct upsize

If budget is not an issue then P3ST are the best. Else Goodyear assurance is a better option than Bridgestone
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote