Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Rate Bridgestone Turanza [ b/w 1 and 10 --- 1--poor ---> 10 Best]
1-2 1 5.56%
3-4 0 0%
5-6 4 22.22%
7-8 10 55.56%
9-10 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th December 2007, 13:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So what are you replacing them with & what sizes?
Dunno maan. Just spent a packet on replacing the Metzelers on my bike with Bridgestone Battleaxes. Cost me as much as 4 car tyres

I must say the Metzelers are rather overrated - I find myself taking sweeping curves at 140 kmph now where the Metz didnt give me the confidence to do 100 earlier!

Hope this Bridgestone experience is better! And meanwhile I will be looking for Michelins for the car.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th December 2007 at 13:42.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 13:53   #47
BHPian

Done 500kms on turanzas ER300 and they are preety good tyres . Noisy on poor roads but extremely quiet on Good tarmac ,good performance ,braking ,grip ,ride quality . Not outstanding but very good touring tyres . the sidewall is soft ,not very good for broken roads .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 14:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hope this Bridgestone experience is better! And meanwhile I will be looking for Michelins for the car.
Sizes for your car please, if you remember them that is.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 14:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sizes for your car please, if you remember them that is.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-283.html

Its up there so I dont have to remember it all the time. I'm not a tyrewallah like you.
Old 16th December 2007, 14:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm not a tyrewallah like you.
Yeah, yeah I know.

Anyways, in your size there is a LOT of choice, so that's the good part!! What are you looking for anyways? Grip/Performance or Ride Comfort??

P.S. Going by the recent re-chipping, I'm guessing Performance is the way to go!
Old 16th December 2007, 14:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

How do these soft compound performance tyres deal with the ambient temperatures? I mean, after all the stories I have heard of melting dashboard plastics during parking under the sun, it must have a de generative effect on the tyres also. Along with abrasive sand, and high amounts of rear wheel torque.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 15:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Here :Tire Rack

Did a small search & selection for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
How do these soft compound performance tyres deal with the ambient temperatures? I mean, after all the stories I have heard of melting dashboard plastics during parking under the sun, it must have a de generative effect on the tyres also. Along with abrasive sand, and high amounts of rear wheel torque.
They are designed to deal with a lot of heat as the cars that they're designed for are capable to pushing them to the extremes. Apart from them it's important that you remember the shelf life of the tyres that you're using them & replace them accordingly if your usage is low. These dashboards melting that we keep hearing of, what time line are you looking at for them?? IMO tyres should be changed every 5 years as their total shelf life is usually advised to be around 7 years.
Old 28th December 2007, 00:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Potenza Adrenalin RE001 is the current choice, will change on Saturday.

My GR80s were of 2005 vintage, though changed early this year - confirmed at the Bridgestone Tyre Centre today. Allegedly that is the reason why they seem to have lost grip completely in summer. Nowadays I fishtail even on regular acceleration - its like skating around, not driving around.
Old 31st December 2007, 02:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

So did you change the tyres??
Old 31st December 2007, 02:20   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The ER-60's are primarily for smaller cars. They are not for cars like the lancer. The road noise is terribly high and grip levels are better compared to my older RE88's but nowehere close to michelin's or yokos.
A change in my review here. The tyres are really really quiet. It was just that my car's wheel bearings were gone. Once i changed those there is absolutely no tyre noise.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 02:58   #56
rks
BANNED

I am very happy with these tyres after 5000 kms on them. They are definitely superior to the S322 tubeless tyres in braking/handling and have lower tyre noise.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 15:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am very happy with these tyres after 5000 kms on them. They are definitely superior to the S322 tubeless tyres in braking/handling and have lower tyre noise.
All this because u got the best alloys with the most precise offset and rim width. U also maintain the most accurate tyre pressure possible.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 16:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So did you change the tyres??

Went to Bridgestone (the company's own tyre outlet, not a dealer) on Saturday and after inspection they said there's nothing wrong with the tyre except the age and there is no need to change them

They think the problem is that there is too much power for the tyre. Anyway they have promised to look into the matter - I have given them the invoice for my purchase in January.
Old 31st December 2007, 16:55   #59
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
All this because u got the best alloys with the most precise offset and rim width. U also maintain the most accurate tyre pressure possible.
Your post gives the impression that these details are not important. Be assured that they are. I take painstaking care of these. Setting tyre pressures precisely is very important in Santro as is wheel balancing/alignment/tyre rotation, if you want precise handling at high speeds. And yes, I keep tyre pressures *exactly* at 35 psi cold, set early morning. Did pretty good speeds of ~140+ and top speed 155 kmph today. Car tracked precisely and could cut lanes at will.

The S322 tyres were very good till 10000 kms or so. After that the tyres started squealing around corners. I think the Turanzas will do better, will have to wait and see.

And you forgot - I keep stock-size tyres on 5J alloy wheels, great combination for my old Santro. No need to upsize tyres, will only detract from performance. 5J = wider contact patch as compared to 4J stock, good enough.

Finally you forgot again -- my last "mod" is Speed 97. I think the engine is smoother now and performs marginally better. And I believe it is good for the engine in the long run and worth the expenditure, if only because it is probably unadulterated.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 16:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

RE-001s are ok, but not that great. Try one of the Pole Position series, they're nicer.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote