Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 10th October 2008, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

A universal phenomena and suffered by all. It happens everywhere, air filling units, parking lots, ASCs etc.

I live in a condominium with an allotted parking place that is right opposite the security control room. Inspite of that, the metal valve caps from my safari get stolen..

Quote:
Somebody is always stealing tire valve caps on my cars. Does it happen to everybody?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 13:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

every time I get air filled up,i request the helper to kindly secure the valve caps in place.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 15:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the valve caps have ever been stolen from any of my vehicles. But yes, the air filling attendents can be quite careless about refixing the caps back.

The only cure for that is to breathe over their heads while they are doing their job... and thats exctly what I always do! In fact, you arent supposed to even be inside the vehicle while the air is being filled!! Air has to be filled in a cold tyre when the vehicle is not laden with ANY weight (except its own!).

I have seen amazing sights in petrol bunks - like cars fully loaded with 5 people with luggage on the roof rack getting air filled with all that burden! And most likely on a warm/hot tyre... which has run for several km!

As for the pliers, you guys are likely gonna end up damaging the valve-tube sealing in tubed tyres or the valve - rim join in tubeless tyres!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Iv got blue coloured stems/valve caps.

About 6 weeks ago Id gone for the balancing,alignment,rotation and Nitrogen filling at a very reputed Tyre center that many TBhpians also use. All four valve caps were intact when I went for the service but I didnt check when I left. Next morning while I was washing the car I noticed one cap missing. I phoned the guy in charge of the place and after he conferred with his staff they said it possibly couldnt have happened there.

Co-incidence that it happened that day or what! I dont know!

Fortunately Iv been lucky and it was just that one instance of carelessness or theft. Lets hope it doesnt happen again.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 13:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I suggest those of you who do like to always have the valve caps on to go to any shop that sells puncture repair and sundry items in bulk / retail and pick up a packet of these. I buy a pack of 100 caps for 30 odd bucks if i remember well.
Thanks for this information. Do these caps come in different sizes or are they universal-fit?
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Valve caps from two-wheelers to four-wheelers in all tire sizes come in one standard size.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 19:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

does anyone any where to get the so called Shrader valve tool? I would like to tighten the valve core, or just remove it, clean/grease up the valve spring and replace it because every once in awhile my car tires valves are having slow-leaks. Thanks.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 20:09   #23
BHPian

androdev rather than going through the hassle of doing what you've mentioned every once in a while,simply take it to your local tyre wallah and pay him to top up the pressure in your tires /replace the valves. Imagine the time and effort you would be spending to remove each valve,clean and re-fit it and then having to fill air in a completely deflated tire. Think about it.
Old 25th January 2009, 20:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

@androdev, if you are referring to that four pointed thingy right? Like the cross?

@Wasawaji, it will be still nice to have that thing handy. Should be available at most auto spare dealers - even two wheeler guys. Should not cost more than a few rupees. 50, max.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 20:39   #25
BHPian

It's called a valve die and costs about Rs.10
Old 25th January 2009, 20:56   #26
BHPian

Not sure if it would be off topic, I thought protecting FIAT hologram caps on wheels is more difficult during wheel work like balancing and alignment. I rarely had issue with valve caps. 5 Rs a piece for caps is too much though, they do not cost more 50 ps/ piece.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 21:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

i purchased a foot pump and pen-type pressure gauge and since then haven't got anything filled from outside. once in awhile i check and top-up especially before a long journey. have been happy with this practice and i think it is a good discipline. but i guess i need this value-tweaking thingy for a complete DIY deal.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 22:51   #28
BHPian

Yeah, happened with me before.. All four chrome valve caps got stolen.. Since then normal plastic caps are being put to use..
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote