Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 20th November 2008, 02:24   #271
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car Ajay! As for your queries, I'll try to answer them below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
After going through all the pages and posts in this thread, I had decided [nearly] on getting the Michelin XM1+ [hope i got that right] on size 195/60/R14 [since glx alloys are 5.5J width]. But on the last few pages, I also read about PP1 of the same size and...

Now, I'm confused and thus, this post and request.

Can someone please help with the differences between XM1+ and PP1 [apart from written facts that PP1 is for performance which i read too], in terms of...

1. Ride Quality
2. Low or nil road noise
3. Excellent grip in wet and dry
4. Good for long distance drives [not interested in qtrmile runs or timings, but will do decent cruising speeds]
5. Durability - lasting somewhere near 40k is wished for but atleast more than 30k ~ 35K required.

Lastly, if one can post the best price for both tyres in B'lore, it will be very helpful.

Thanks all.. aK
The differences are:

1. XM1+ beats the PP range hands down.
2. Again, XM1+ is better here.
3. Here the PP excels.
4. Both are excellent for that.
5. Both will last you more than 35k but XM1+ will last more than the PP's.

Also, I think 195/60 is overkill for the 1.3 Getz & would recommend you go either for 185/60 or 185/65.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:17   #272
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Response leads to 2 additional Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Congratulations on the new car Ajay! As for your queries, I'll try to answer them below:

The differences are:

1. XM1+ beats the PP range hands down.
2. Again, XM1+ is better here.
3. Here the PP excels.
4. Both are excellent for that.
5. Both will last you more than 35k but XM1+ will last more than the PP's.

Also, I think 195/60 is overkill for the 1.3 Getz & would recommend you go either for 185/60 or 185/65.
Hi Ishaan,

Thanks and thanks again for your inputs. Your comments have helped me decide on XM1+, but I also have 2 drill down questions now. Sorry about it..

a. I understand when you say PP excels at better 'wet & dry' grip, but I want to know if XM1+ lack it in any way or are poor at grip? If it's just a matter of PPs being 'far' better than XM1+, then I have nothing to worry about.
b. I think when I read through all the posts, I understood 195/60/(14) is being suggested for better ride(?), better braking and stopping power. After reading them, I assumed 195/60 would help braking and stopping, along with the ABS.

What is the reason for you to mention that spec as an overkill now for the 1.3? Please advise, I'm trying to understand logics and not defend any recommendation.

Also, if you are aware of what the price/tyre in B'lore could be for 185/60 & 195/60, it will help.

p.s: I don't mind getting 185/60 either. Not looking for show but silence, saftey and decent performance. Thanks... aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:38   #273
Senior - BHPian

No issues Ajay, ask as many as questions as you like!

a. The two treads are designed for different purposes altogether. PP is all out performance with acceptable comfort & road noise whereas the XM1+ is out & out comfort with decent grip. If you drive normally, the XM1+ has more than enough grip for your driving. If however, you drive with a heavy foot then the PP will be a better bet.

b. I suggest 185 because I think for the 1.3 engine & the power it puts out, 195 is overkill. Also, it'll mean a further compromise on FE and considering Petrol prices today, it's no small factor.

Prices should be around 3.7k for 185/60 XM1+, 3.5k for 185/65 XM1+. PP's will cost around 4.2k for 185/60 & 4.3k for 195/60. Also, these prices are approx, they might vary a couple of hundred here or there in Bangalore.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:20   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No issues Ajay, ask as many as questions as you like!

a. The two treads are designed for different purposes altogether. PP is all out performance with acceptable comfort & road noise whereas the XM1+ is out & out comfort with decent grip. If you drive normally, the XM1+ has more than enough grip for your driving. If however, you drive with a heavy foot then the PP will be a better bet.

b. I suggest 185 because I think for the 1.3 engine & the power it puts out, 195 is overkill. Also, it'll mean a further compromise on FE and considering Petrol prices today, it's no small factor.

Prices should be around 3.7k for 185/60 XM1+, 3.5k for 185/65 XM1+. PP's will cost around 4.2k for 185/60 & 4.3k for 195/60. Also, these prices are approx, they might vary a couple of hundred here or there in Bangalore.
Hi Ishaan..

I went out on Saturday along with colleague and tbhp member sreenivas, to finalise on a deal and dealer with whom I can exchange tyres as soon as I get the car delivered.

We went to 3 different tyre retailers here in B'lore, and the lowest price I got for Michelin XM1+ for size 185/60/14 was 4250/tyre. The highest I got was 4350/tyre. I was shocked to hear this, but all the 3 dealers I queried about the difference in price attributed it to rise in tyre prices that happened 2-3 months ago [avg of 3 retailers].

This upsets my preset budgets for the tyres.. I hope I can arrange for these tyres by the time I get the car. Anyway, I understand your recommendation and will get 185/60. But as of now the price seems to be extremely high compared to figures quoted here for the tyre discussed here..

Any chance of this reducing anytime... :(
Old 24th November 2008, 16:49   #275
Senior - BHPian

You should get around Rs.2500/tyre for your Getz' factory tyres.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 17:08   #276
Senior - BHPian

Ajay - Also look at prices for Yokohama's. They're cheaper than Michelin's.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:24   #277
Senior - BHPian

Ajay, you can talk to one nice chap Prakash who owns Super tyre tec located on the JC road. His number is 9845154540. I bought Michelin PP1 195/60-14 for some 3.9K. I think 185/60 should cost you around 4K even though there was a price hike recently. If you are talking to him then tell Dhananjay has referred.

-Dhananjay
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 14:28   #278
Senior - BHPian

Post Responses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You should get around Rs.2500/tyre for your Getz' factory tyres.
Mahi, that is not quite possible since the Getz 175/65/14 tyres are tube-tyres and not tubeless. Best price for buy back is around 1900-2000 only.

Quote:
Ajay - Also look at prices for Yokohama's. They're cheaper than Michelin's.
I would have, but after reading 2 threads on S Drives' scary experiences, I don't want to take a chance Ishaan. Plus considering the fact that I have 2 trips to be made to Chennai [with family] within a month of buying the car & tyres, I absolutely want no chance taken with S Drives.

What do you think Ishaan? Are the S Drives safe and perform well compared to XM1+? I don't want to buy some tyre only because they are from Japan and have nice looking thread. I'm sure you're able to comment on this [and others too].

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Ajay, you can talk to one nice chap Prakash who owns Super tyre tec located on the JC road. If you are talking to him then tell Dhananjay has referred. -Dhananjay
Djay, thanks a lot for that mate. Yes, I most likely may end up going to STT Prakash, and I've been to his place already. If I go there, I will definitely get the best rates compared to market, since Prakash is cousin brother of my colleague Sreeni [also tbhp member]. His price from a shop employee without bargaining is 4300/tyre of 185/60/14 XM1+...
Old 28th November 2008, 05:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

Ajay - You do not get S-Drive's in the size you're looking for so forget about that. They tyre I was talking about is the A.Drive, which is actually a pretty good tyre & comparable to the XM1+.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:08   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ajay - You do not get S-Drive's in the size you're looking for so forget about that. They tyre I was talking about is the A.Drive, which is actually a pretty good tyre & comparable to the XM1+.
Oh ok.. I didn't think you were referring to A.drives.. I will check them out too before a decision is made on the tyres. My car is yet to arrive from factory..

Thanks everyone for sharing your recommendations. I'm still keen to see a price drop on tyres of if Mich XM1+ is available under 4K somewhere...
Old 12th January 2009, 18:09   #281
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Within the next one month, I plan to change the tires on my Getz Crdi.

Currently, running on PPs - 195/60-14 size. Mileage done is 19K. I absolutely love the PPs for their handling and grip but their life is pretty less. Moreover, they are attrociously noisy on cemented.rough roads which is a norm on the highways. They will get completely worn off by 23-24K. Proper tire rotation was done and all the 4 tires are equally worn.

I do a lot of highways and road trips. Hence the priority is not out right performance but balanced tires with good comfort and ride. Sooner or later a trip to Ladakh will also be made. I know I'm asking for both things at the same time.

I was thinking to retain the same size and choose from one of the following
1. Michelin XM1+
2. Yokohama C.drive
3. Bridgestone Turanza ER60.

Btw, what are the treadwear ratings for these. I found all the other specs but this. For PPs it is 240 while for XM1+ it's 400. Hence, I can assume XM1+ to last for 40K on the torque monster.

Tire gurus, expert advice needed to choose the right one. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Naman
naman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 19:30   #282
BHPian

Naman, you have PPs or PP2s? And, how many kms you have done?

I have PP2s (205-50/15) on my GetzD, done 11k+ kms till date. I haven't noticed significant wear on my tires.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 20:27   #283
Senior - BHPian

vaibhav, 195/60-14 comes in PP1 and naman i think 23K is very less man. I was expecting PP's to come close to 30K atleast.

If you are looking for good ride with decent road grip with good life then nothing comes close to XM1+. Forget turanza and others. And XM1+ will surely last for 40K+.

Vaibhav, The Maxxis Victra i am using now have done 6K and there is no sign of wear. I am expecting them to last for another 25K atleast.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 23:27   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Naman, you have PPs or PP2s? And, how many kms you have done?

I have PP2s (205-50/15) on my GetzD, done 11k+ kms till date. I haven't noticed significant wear on my tires.
Yes, they are PPs. It's amazing that at 11K you don't see signs of wear because I believe that the treadwear rating for PP2 is also 240 which is same as PPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
vaibhav, 195/60-14 comes in PP1 and naman i think 23K is very less man. I was expecting PP's to come close to 30K atleast.

If you are looking for good ride with decent road grip with good life then nothing comes close to XM1+. Forget turanza and others. And XM1+ will surely last for 40K+.

Vaibhav, The Maxxis Victra i am using now have done 6K and there is no sign of wear. I am expecting them to last for another 25K atleast.
Yes, I'm more inclined towards XM1+. But was keen to find out more about C.Drives. Heard they are pretty good as well and have cool tread design. Turanzas are last on the list.

Let me know.

Naman

Last edited by naman : 12th January 2009 at 23:29.
naman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:37   #285
Senior - BHPian

C.Drive's are not available in any other size apart from 225/60 R15.