Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 22nd July 2009, 20:54   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

195/50 R15 will reduce your ride comfort by a big margin. A slight odo error is a small price to pay for better ride comfort.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 17:29   #332

Cool MUUUAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAA - got my new set of wheels!!!

Hi Folks - wanted to "show Off" my new set of wheels, took me 1 month to get here, but nonetheless...

Here they are :

Alloys: Stamford Sport Wheels (SSW) 15"
Tyres: Michelin MXF Sport - 195 x 55 x R15

Cost me 17 K for the Alloys, and 14,400 for the 4 Tyres, sold back the OE 5 GoodYear GP2 - Tube-type 14" + 14" RIMS for 11k !!!

Whole deal was 20,400 /-
here are the pics -

Let me know what you guys think!!
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2972.jpg  

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2967.jpg  

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2966.jpg  

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2969.jpg  

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2960.jpg  

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI-cimg2959.jpg  

turbolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 19:48   #333
Senior - BHPian

Nice ride- the second black rocket here (first being mine ). Never knew Michelin had a 19/55 in R15 though...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:04   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

That is grey market tyres

However, the car looks fantastic! I personally am a fan of the S093 and S094 models in SSW.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 23:13   #335
BHPian

Default Alloy Wheels for my Getz CRDI

My Getz CRDI is on 195/60/R14 Michelin XM1+Energy and i wish to upgrade to 14" 6J, 100 PCD alloys.

Please suggest the following:
1} The most pocket friendly and reliable brand of alloys that i can go for

2} A good dealer in Between Bandra to Borivali in Mumbai. Pls provide the no. of the dealer if possible.
Amit_GetzCRDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 20:47   #336
BHPian

Hello All,

Can you guys please comment on my thread (What should be worthy successor for PP2 on my GetzD)about new tires for my GetzD? I need feedback on some specific questions. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
VD
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:40   #337
Senior - BHPian

turbolover,
Alloy design is good but some how i dont feel a black getz with black colored alloy look stunning.
Post a detailed review about tire performance.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 14:45   #338
BHPian

I have owned a Getz CRDI for over a year now. There is a troubling aspect regarding its braking performance that Kpzen has also alluded to in an earlier post, maybe on a different thread. If you are doing 120+ and get into a panic braking situation, the wheels lock up and and the car just slides towards disaster. There is practically no warning that lockup is imminent, the wheels lockup with very little provocation. With the performance on offer, 140 is a canter on this car. If there is any car that I can think that needs ABS, it is this one. It has an impressive engine but inspires zero confidence as a driver's car.

My car still has the stock wheels and tires. If my sole intent was to fix the high speed braking performance:

1. which tire would be the best bet?
2. Will switching to alloys make any difference?
3. Does upsizing to 15 inch wheels make a difference?
4. Are OEM alloys better than aftermarket?
5. Does increased width help?

Request members who have spent enough time with their cars to post regarding change in braking performance after the stock tires were replaced.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 15:11   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I have owned a Getz CRDI for over a year now. There is a troubling aspect regarding its braking performance that Kpzen has also alluded to in an earlier post, maybe on a different thread. If you are doing 120+ and get into a panic braking situation, the wheels lock up and and the car just slides towards disaster. There is practically no warning that lockup is imminent, the wheels lockup with very little provocation. With the performance on offer, 140 is a canter on this car. If there is any car that I can think that needs ABS, it is this one. It has an impressive engine but inspires zero confidence as a driver's car.
First & foremost, running this car on stock wheels is plain SUICIDAL.

Quote:
car still has the stock wheels and tires. If my sole intent was to fix the high speed braking performance:

195/60-14 Advan Neovas with 14x6j alloys
Quote:
No, not directly.
Quote:
yes, it should, but won't recommend.
Quote:
Anyday.
Quote:

185/65-14 tires completely changes the dynamics of this car. Try it & you will know.

Quote:
Request members who have spent enough time with their cars to post regarding change in braking performance after the stock tires were replaced.
65k kms Done.. On 2nd second set of tires. Hope that will qualify.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:14   #340
BHPian

Quote:
My car still has the stock wheels and tires.
You have pointed the problem yourself.

Quote:
I have been using 205/50-15 Michelin PP2 for past 2 years and now switched to 195/55-15 Conti CPC2. I never had serious breaking problems with PP2s; in fact I was very impressed with the breaking distance. I feel that Contis are almost as good considering the reduced width.

Along with the breaking performance (grip) you should also consider other factors like road noise, ride comfort, budget, etc and try to find a good balance based on your preferences.

I would recommend the Conti CPC2s in 195/60-14 size.

Quote:
On Indian roads, I think alloys are must if going for tubeless tires. Steel rims get bend and cause lot of headache.

Quote:
Looks will definitely improve. But ride comfort will go down as you have to go for lower profile tires with 15".

Quote:
Depends on which aftermarket alloys you are going for. I am using League alloys since 2 1/2 yrs now and they have gone through a lot in this period without any problem.

Quote:
Yes. As recommended go for 195 or 185 width tires.

Quote:
See above.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:14   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
First & foremost, running this car on stock wheels is plain SUICIDAL.

195/60-14 Advan Neovas with 14x6j alloys

185/65-14 tires completely changes the dynamics of this car. Try it & you will know.

65k kms Done.. On 2nd second set of tires. Hope that will qualify.
Prajesh, thanks for chipping in, I was hoping you would reply to my post. I couldnt't agree more when you say, driving this car with the stock tires is suicidal. Advan Neovas - are these generally available at dealers? What is the ballpark pricing? About the alloys, is it possible to procure OEM alloys from Hyundai? Or are there better options, how about Honda or Maruti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
You have pointed the problem yourself.

I have been using 205/50-15 Michelin PP2 for past 2 years and now switched to 195/55-15 Conti CPC2. I never had serious breaking problems with PP2s; in fact I was very impressed with the breaking distance. I feel that Contis are almost as good considering the reduced width.

Along with the breaking performance (grip) you should also consider other factors like road noise, ride comfort, budget, etc and try to find a good balance based on your preferences.

I would recommend the Conti CPC2s in 195/60-14 size.

On Indian roads, I think alloys are must if going for tubeless tires. Steel rims get bend and cause lot of headache.

Looks will definitely improve. But ride comfort will go down as you have to go for lower profile tires with 15".

Depends on which aftermarket alloys you are going for. I am using League alloys since 2 1/2 yrs now and they have gone through a lot in this period without any problem.

Yes. As recommended go for 195 or 185 width tires.

Vabs - Your reply to go with 195 R14 has basically settled it for me. At the moment, the only thing I am concerned about is safety but staying with the 14" inch rims shouldn't compromise ride theoretically. On Indian roads low profile tires dont make sense, so the 15" rims are ruled out. I read your feedback on the CPC2s, by all accounts they seem to be excellent in the wet so they are on my shortlist. You also had nice things to say about the Michelin PP2s.

My order of preference at this point seems to be:

1. Advan Neovas
2. Michelin PP2
3. CPC2s

Nobody seems to have a bad thing to say for the PP2s and seems to have wide acceptance. Those in the know, please provide indicative prices.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 22:11   #342
BHPian

Quote:
My order of preference at this point seems to be:

1. Advan Neovas
2. Michelin PP2
3. CPC2s

Nobody seems to have a bad thing to say for the PP2s and seems to have wide acceptance. Those in the know, please provide indicative prices.
Have in mind that PP2s and Advan both are purely sports/performance oriented tires with little of no regards to comfort. This will be a big departure for you moving from stock 65 profile tires.

My main complaints from PP2s were that they used to tramline a lot which is not exactly safe on our roads. You have to be real careful going fast on patchy roads. And, the road noise on rough roads was quiet disturbing.

Advans are supposed to be much better on tramlining i.e. they don't tramline as much as PP2s. But they are also reported to be noisier than PP2s.

Carefully consider all these points and decide. When I was looking in Pune both PP2s and Advans were not available.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:58   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prajesh, thanks for chipping in, I was hoping you would reply to my post. I couldnt't agree more when you say, driving this car with the stock tires is suicidal. Advan Neovas - are these generally available at dealers? What is the ballpark pricing? About the alloys, is it possible to procure OEM alloys from Hyundai? Or are there better options, how about Honda or Maruti?
195/60-14 Neovas should be around 5k.
Get the i20 alloys. Check out with tire dealers, you might get one set for under 10k.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:50   #344
Senior - BHPian

hey kpzen, I drive a Getz Priime 1.3GLS.
On a recent drive to Chennai, I noticed that the Steering would kind of vibrate pretty badly once I did 120kmph. These vibrations would only increase with any more speed. My ride is currently running on 195/60/R14 Marangoni tyres. These tyres are pretty silent at descent speeds and offer a good Grip as well. Now my queries are:
1. Could these Vibrations be due to the Tyres which is running on 30psi of Nitrogen in them?
2. If you were to advise me on changing my tyres with the same profile, which would offer me the Best of Grip & Performance which one would that be?

Appreciate your response kpzen and your info will really help me a lot.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 13:22   #345
Team-BHP Support

Vik - Have you got the balancing checked on your wheels? That could be the issue.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote