Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 11th October 2010, 13:38   #346
Senior - BHPian

U think so Akshay ?? I mean, this was not the problem about couple months back. I did manage about 150km/h once and the car felt rock solid, until I decided to brake ofcourse!!! :(
If you think balancing is the issue bro, will get that checked this weekend.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 13:51   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
U think so Akshay ?? I mean, this was not the problem about couple months back. I did manage about 150km/h once and the car felt rock solid, until I decided to brake ofcourse!!! :(
If you think balancing is the issue bro, will get that checked this weekend.
Yes im quite sure balancing will take care of the issue.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 22:45   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey kpzen, I drive a Getz Priime 1.3GLS.
On a recent drive to Chennai, I noticed that the Steering would kind of vibrate pretty badly once I did 120kmph. These vibrations would only increase with any more speed. My ride is currently running on 195/60/R14 Marangoni tyres. These tyres are pretty silent at descent speeds and offer a good Grip as well.
Get the Balancing done.
Hope there's no damage to the tires anywhere.
Quote:
Now my queries are:
1. Could these Vibrations be due to the Tyres which is running on 30psi of Nitrogen in them?
No, nothing to do with nitrogen.
Quote:
2. If you were to advise me on changing my tyres with the same profile, which would offer me the Best of Grip & Performance which one would that be?
Hankook Ventus RS2.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 09:34   #349
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Akshay & Kpzen on your responses. As suggested by you guys, I will go in for some wheel balancing and alignment this weekend and then check the same out at high speeds.
If this doesn't fix this issue, I guess will go in for the tyres suggested. Will keep U guys posted nevertheless.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 19:31   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Hankook Ventus RS2.
Is this tire as good as the Michelin PP2 or Advan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Have in mind that PP2s and Advan both are purely sports/performance oriented tires with little of no regards to comfort. This will be a big departure for you moving from stock 65 profile tires.

My main complaints from PP2s were that they used to tramline a lot which is not exactly safe on our roads. You have to be real careful going fast on patchy roads. And, the road noise on rough roads was quiet disturbing.

Advans are supposed to be much better on tramlining i.e. they don't tramline as much as PP2s. But they are also reported to be noisier than PP2s.

Carefully consider all these points and decide. When I was looking in Pune both PP2s and Advans were not available.
So tramlining is a function of low tire profile and width. Let me also add higher unsprung mass to that list. A combination of 15" wheels and low profile tires could potentially cause tramlining.

I am not for the looks, this is the reason I want the OEM alloys. Me thinks, there is a better probability that these are lighter than the steel wheels, although one can never be sure.

Quote:
195/60-14 Neovas should be around 5k.
Get the i20 alloys. Check out with tire dealers, you might get one set for under 10k.
I am visiting Hyderabad presently, the dealer(KUN) quoted 12k or each So the quest continues. Are the Verna alloys a direct fit as well? If aftermarket is the way to go, which are the makes know for better quality construction?

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 13th October 2010 at 19:45. Reason: update
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 22:56   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Is this tire as good as the Michelin PP2 or Advan?
Performance is slightly better than PP2s, only downside is that they are little noisy.
Advans can't be compared to the RS2.

Quote:
I am visiting Hyderabad presently, the dealer(KUN) quoted 12k or each So the quest continues. Are the Verna alloys a direct fit as well? If aftermarket is the way to go, which are the makes know for better quality construction?
12k for each alloy or a set ??

Here, a set of i20 or verna alloys are easily available for 10k.
Verna alloys should be a direct fit for Getz.

Last edited by kpzen : 13th October 2010 at 22:59.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 17:41   #352
BHPian

Quote:
So tramlining is a function of low tire profile and width. Let me also add higher unsprung mass to that list. A combination of 15" wheels and low profile tires could potentially cause tramlining.
I don't know about unsprung weight but as per my understanding the main influence is tire wall flex (assuming wheel alignment is proper). When tire hits an uneven patch if the tire can flex and not transmit this info to the wheels then the car will not tramline.

The flex is determined by tire profile and rigidity of the tire walls. Performance tires generally have rigid tire wall for better cornering grip.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 20:19   #353
BHPian

Quote:

12k for each alloy or a set ??

Here, a set of i20 or verna alloys are easily available for 10k.
Verna alloys should be a direct fit for Getz.
Yes, that was 12k per wheel when bought from the showroom. I checked with a tyre dealer and a set of 5 practically new i20 rims cost 11250. I checked that both I20 and Verna wheels are a direct fit.

Quote:
I don't know about unsprung weight but as per my understanding the main influence is tire wall flex (assuming wheel alignment is proper). When tire hits an uneven patch if the tire can flex and not transmit this info to the wheels then the car will not tramline.

The flex is determined by tire profile and rigidity of the tire walls. Performance tires generally have rigid tire wall for better cornering grip.
There is a whole thread started by GTO on tramlining. IIRC, upsizing wheels causes the mass to increase and evidently does contribute to tramlining.

The Michelin PP2s have not been available for some time now, I made inquiries at several dealers. Nobody stocks Advans, but seem to be available on request, but cost a whopping 5300 to 5600 each.

Even the lowly Potenza G3s in 195 60 R14 arent easily available. The ones that are available are 185 65 r14 at 4050 apiece. The fastest moving tire seems to be XM1+, practically every dealer's racks are filled with these. In sum, there aren't that many tire choices as might appear to be.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 15th October 2010 at 20:22. Reason: udate
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 01:30   #354
Senior - BHPian

Vabs - I have the Advan's on my Getz now, no tramlining whatsoever And I ran two sets of PP's too so I know what you're talking about.

But, damn they're noisy!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:30   #355
BHPian

@iraghava, do the Advan's have same size as PPs you were running? And what about side wall stiffness? Advan's sidewalls are softer that PPs?

Road noise was the only factor for me to decide against Advan's.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:49   #356
Senior - BHPian

Vaibhav - Not really the same sizes, I ran PP's in 195/60 R14 & 185/60 R14 whereas I'm running the Advan's in 195/55 R15. But sidewall has held on till now and seems to be strong enough (touchwood).
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:03   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Can you guys please comment on my thread (What should be worthy successor for PP2 on my GetzD)about new tires for my GetzD? I need feedback on some specific questions. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
VD
Hey VD,

I am currently on my 2nd set of tires for my ride, 1st one being Apollo Accelere Sportz 185/60/R14, the tires were good however one of the tires had a ruptured sidewall after 16k kms and i did not get a replacement for a good 2 months, thats when i decided to change.

I have then installed 205/60 R14 Yokohama ES100's and after 30k kms on the tires they still feel just as good. I am using 6J alloys.

i haven't noticed any loss of performance after the upgrade, however my confidence in driving this beast has grown multi fold.
Speed-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:28   #358
BHPian

Thanks for your feedback Speed-Freak. I got Continental CPC2 for my car.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:36   #359
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI

Vaibhav,

What is the size of CPC2? and how much did you pay for each tyre?
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 15:07   #360
BHPian

Default Re: Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI

djay,
I got them in 195/55 R15 changing down from 205/50 R15. Got them for Rs. 4575/- per tire. Which tires are you running ?