Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2007, 15:12   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
ramie - 50 profile will be fine as long as you slow down a bit for the rough patches and potholes. and look at s-drives instead of es100s. they are newer.
Lolz.. I am a average driver dont speed up too much on our roads,i will suerly check out the S-Drives before going for the upgrade.Thanx for the advice akshay..cheers

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 15:36   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Anju visit Sai Iyengar near Lal bag just opposit to Garuda Motors and choose the size of tyre whatever you want(use tyre calculator for upsize or stick to stock) 185 70 R14 Michelin is about 3.2K, next to his shop one guy keeps all accesories, 14" alloys youll get for 15.5K for 5 pieces.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 16:55   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Your Prime has 175/60-14 or 175/65-14..?
Sorry for the typo error..Its 175/65-14..
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 19:00   #34
BHPian
 
Anju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 175
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I found that Getz has R14 5J steel rim.(As you know Tyre 175/65 R14).

So now, after many excellent inputs from all you folks choice is between

1. 195/60 R14 which requires R14 6J for optimum width.
(with lot of study, I feel that wheel center load line might shift considerably which would hurt wheel bearings and CV joints as load increases(farther the load center distance more reaction load on bearings/joints).

2.185/60 R14 which would require R14 5.5J for optimum width.
(which still shifts the wheel center line but relatively less.)

So please please suggest which is the best option out of two

I am going for Michelin Energy XM1 as suggested by most of you.

I kindly request you to suggest the good dealers in Bangalore who would have Neo/Aura/HR brand of alloys and tyres. I'll visit them next weekend.

I am buying Passion Red. Yes Getz CRDi might rock(Patienewins).
I can comment accuratly on car only after some 3-6 months of drive.
Test drive for 15-20 min can fool us sometimes..
I decided on this because, I did drive 110 BHP Getz(and Honda Jazz/AudiA4)when I visited Turkey for a week last year,but it had all the features(ABS/Alloy/Airbags etc). I also drove Fabia/Renault Clio Sport in Romania during the same trip.



Thank you all

PS: I also request ICE setup but in concerned forum.
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 23:00   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Hi Anju

Among the two that you have finalised the better option is 185/60 R14.

However do note that is still not the perfect upsize! In ascending order of speedo error:

Best 1: 195/50 R15
Best 2: 185/55 R15
Best 3: 185/60 R14

If you can i would still suggest 185/55 R15. It would be the perfect compromise between comfort (55) and looks (R15)

yes Michelin XM1 is a gr8 choice..especially if ur looking for comfort! I have the same in my Getz (175/70).

Lastly for Alloys i would suggest Hi-Join, Plati, League and Lenso (above R15 only). Also if choosing a really unique design, try and go for 5 instead for 4, else 4 should do.

Stay away from Aura. Its all style no purpose. They weigh almost like steel wheels!!!

All the best!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 10:32   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats a pretty odd size.
Can anyone confirm this?
Hi KP

Both these got it wrong. You are right. the Getz GLX has 175/65 R14.

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 11:09   #37
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
I kindly request you to suggest the good dealers in Bangalore who would have Neo/Aura/HR brand of alloys and tyres. I'll visit them next weekend.
i strongly suggest not to go for aura. stick to brands such as HR , lenso, league, plati. for dealers go to car trendz on mission road for a good deal. i too did the same research while buying my alloys and found him to be very reasonable. this shop is just at the ending of the flyover which comes from double road. his number is 9845130613. work out a deal along with tyres.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 18:07   #38
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
I found that Getz has R14 5J steel rim.(As you know Tyre 175/65 R14).

So now, after many excellent inputs from all you folks choice is between

1. 195/60 R14 which requires R14 6J for optimum width.
(with lot of study, I feel that wheel center load line might shift considerably which would hurt wheel bearings and CV joints as load increases(farther the load center distance more reaction load on bearings/joints).

2.185/60 R14 which would require R14 5.5J for optimum width.
(which still shifts the wheel center line but relatively less.)

So please please suggest which is the best option out of two
If the offset of your alloy wheels is the same as that of the stock wheels, then the alloy wheel centerline will be at exactly the same location as that of the stock wheel and you need not worry about the load on your wheel bearings, suspension/steering components. So you need to find out the offset of the stock wheel (usually between +35 mm and +45 mm for a front wheel drive car). As I said, the offset of the alloy wheels can be up to 10 mm less than that of the stock wheel and you will still be OK. Most (but not all) of the alloy wheels will have the offset in the required range.

In my case I have alloy wheels with +26 mm offset, whereas the offset of the stock wheel was +46 mm. So my alloys jut out a little from the wheel well and I had to remove the front mud flaps to avoid fouling while turning the car. My wheel bearings are fine after more than 15000 kms with alloys. Not sure about the effects on suspension/steering components, as I just overhauled them at 58000 kms. Have to wait and see.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 18:29   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
1. 195/60 R14 which requires R14 6J for optimum width.
(with lot of study, I feel that wheel center load line might shift considerably which would hurt wheel bearings and CV joints as load increases(farther the load center distance more reaction load on bearings/joints).

So please please suggest which is the best option out of two
Given the specs of the Getz CRDi, I would choose 195/60 R14 on 6J rims over all the other choices. I'm running the same size in my OHC & it is a fantastic compromise netween excellent grip & braking & comfort esp. keeping in mind our road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
I am going for Michelin Energy XM1 as suggested by most of you.
Another positive point of going with 195/60 R14 is that you have wide plethora of tyre choices available in that size. If you want comfortable tyres you can choose between the Michelin Energy XM1's, Yokohama A300's & Bridgestone Turanza's. If you want a performance tyre you can choose between the Michelin Pilot Preceda's & the Yokohama ES100's. So basically in this size you can get whatever kind of characteristic you would like in your set of tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
However do note that is still not the perfect upsize! In ascending order of speedo error:

Best 1: 195/50 R15
Best 2: 185/55 R15
Best 3: 185/60 R14

If you can i would still suggest 185/55 R15. It would be the perfect compromise between comfort (55) and looks (R15)
Elito - You're right about the correct order of speedo error's on the listed sizes. Let me list them out in detail for everyone again:

195/50 R15 - -1.2%
185/55 R15 - 0.2%
185/60 R14 - -0.9%
195/60 R14 - 1.1%

But there are a couple of things related to your suggestion which are a problem:

1. 185/55 R15 is not officially available in India in either Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone. So finding them is one issue.

2. Secondly, looking at it practically how much difference does a speedo error difference of 0.5% or so make? Is it something that we should really be bothered about that much? Does it any way change the practical use of our vehicle to the extent that it is not recommendable (while keeping in mind that it does stay within the limits of OD difference of +2 to -3%).
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 18:34   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
1. 185/55 R15 is not officially available in India in either Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone. So finding them is one issue.
Yup I had my doubts about the avalaibility. So now its confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
2. Secondly, looking at it practically how much difference does a speedo error difference of 0.5% or so make? Is it something that we should really be bothered about that much? Does it any way change the practical use of our vehicle to the extent that it is not recommendable (while keeping in mind that it does stay within the limits of OD difference of +2 to -3%).
Yeah i agree. 195/60 R14 is indeed a good upsize for a lot of cars.
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 10:29   #41
BHPian
 
Anju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 175
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys,

Finally going for Michelin 185/60 R14. The tyre guys are not at all recommending for 195/60 R14.

Also probably going for "Aura" alloys(though I am not liking the design) as they have R14 X 5.5" which is optimum width for that tyre size.

League doesn't have 5.5" they have R14 X 6". And HR, availability is the issue.

Update you after Monday more about this. This weekend is the judgement day for me for both tyre and Alloy and ICE set up as I am getting my GEtz CRDI in Weeeek !!!!!!

Cheers
Anju
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 10:50   #42
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

@anju

i am myself am using league alloys with 185/60/14 on league alloys, no problems what so ever. its already run 14k.

do not go for aura, not good looking at all. the crdi deserves nice alloys. take a look at my gallery for the league alloys. think it over about the alloys.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 10:59   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
League doesn't have 5.5" they have R14 X 6". And HR, availability is the issue.
6J will work perfectly fine with 185 or 195. You can go in for that also.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 06:20   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
6J will work perfectly fine with 185 or 195. You can go in for that also.
I have Getz Prime GLX. My alloys are OEM, 5.5 J with 175/ 65 R14. Will 195/60 R14 be fine with the current alloys?
What would be the effect on ride and ground celarance?

What I had in mind for upsize was 185/ 60 R14.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 1st December 2007 at 06:26. Reason: ? Missing
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have Getz Prime GLX. My alloys are OEM, 5.5 J with 175/ 65 R14. Will 195/60 R14 be fine with the current alloys?
What would be the effect on ride and ground celarance?

What I had in mind for upsize was 185/ 60 R14.
Yes u can go for 195 with 5.5j alloys..Elantra comes with 195 tyres and 5.5j alloys.
There won't be much difference in ride quality with those upsize as the sidewall almost remains the same.
I have answered your GC query in some other thread.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verna Crdi Vs GetZ Crdi. EDIT : Finalising on Getz! aks_karthik Hatchbacks 74 17th May 2009 10:22
Does selling 06 Getz GLE and buying a Getz CRDI or GLX with ABS make any sense? rm_arjuna Hatchbacks 16 26th April 2009 21:30
Tubeless Tyres For Getz CRDI BalajiShankar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 17th October 2008 22:08
Alloy wheels and tubeless for Palio 1.2 NV ELX bangboy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 22nd June 2006 01:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks