Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 18:36   #436
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
planning to get xm1+ for my verna vgt having run 52000 kms-yes i am a sedate driver.if i upsize to 195/60/14 from the original 175s will the ride become hard?Want ride comfort and lesser noise.Or should i up to 185s?the car is mainly used for highway runs.
I had 195/60-14 XM1+ on my Verna and was not much happy about the ride comfort. The handling was improved a bit on highways that I think because of the wider profile. Ride on bad roads was very uncomfortable where I could feel every road undulations and stones. Now I have changed to 185/65-14 Potenza G3s which made a great difference. I will be going for 195/60 -14 G3s once this set worns out.
Prass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 21:54   #437
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,599 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
I had 195/60-14 XM1+ on my Verna and was not much happy about the ride comfort. The handling was improved a bit on highways that I think because of the wider profile. Ride on bad roads was very uncomfortable where I could feel every road undulations and stones. Now I have changed to 185/65-14 Potenza G3s which made a great difference. I will be going for 195/60 -14 G3s once this set worns out.
Prass
What kind of logic is that

You were not satisfied with 195/60 and you again wanna try that ??
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 22:23   #438
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

1. Firstly, you cannot compare Potenza to Michelin xm1+ for comfort. It's Turanza you should be talking about. Yes Handling will definitly be better with Potenza.

2. You have gone for a higher profile at present which makes your car comfortable. Going low profile again and that too with Potenza will only make things worse.

The proper upsize for a verna will be 185/65 R14 IIRC. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 23:50   #439
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Prass
What kind of logic is that

You were not satisfied with 195/60 and you again wanna try that ??
Its the XM1+ that I am not satisfied with, because I have a Figo TDCI which runs on the same 195/60-14 XM1+ tyres and I feel that the ride quality is still not that good compared to the OEM 175/65-14 MRFs on bad roads even though this upsize increased the profile slightly. So I think it is not just because of the profile size change.
I have received good feedback from one of my friend running 195/60-14 Potenza G3s on his Verna which made me decide to buy them (185s) an I am perfectly satisfied with my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
1. Firstly, you cannot compare Potenza to Michelin xm1+ for comfort. It's Turanza you should be talking about. Yes Handling will definitly be better with Potenza.

2. You have gone for a higher profile at present which makes your car comfortable. Going low profile again and that too with Potenza will only make things worse.

The proper upsize for a verna will be 185/65 R14 IIRC. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
I have used both of them and hence the comparison.

195/60-14 is a proper upsize for Verna provided the rim size is atleast 5.5 inches wide. The ABS model comes with OEM 185/65-14 tyres in 5.5 inches rim. Not sure of the OEM rim size of non ABS model with 175/70-14 tyres . If it is 5 inches, then you are correct . If alloys, there wont be any problem fitting 185s or 195s I hope.
Prass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 20:14   #440
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,804 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Potenza GIIIs and MRF give better ride quality than XM1+? Have you checked your tyre pressure?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 18:47   #441
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

How can we know that the tyres we buy are not imported/grey which is meant for a different country. Is there any codes/ markings on tyre which specifies the tyre is made for India. I could not find any "Made in ..." marking on the outer sidewall of Michelin XM1+.
Prass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:41   #442
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

If the tyres are grey, they wont have a warranty card with the company's Indian address.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:41   #443
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Agree here, have same issue. with xm1+ you get to feel the bad road.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Its the XM1+ that I am not satisfied with, because I have a Figo TDCI which runs on the same 195/60-14 XM1+ tyres and I feel that the ride quality is still not that good compared to the OEM 175/65-14 MRFs on bad roads even though this upsize increased the profile slightly. So I think it is not just because of the profile size change.
I have received good feedback from one of my friend running 195/60-14 Potenza G3s on his Verna which made me decide to buy them (185s) an I am perfectly satisfied with my choice.



I have used both of them and hence the comparison.

195/60-14 is a proper upsize for Verna provided the rim size is atleast 5.5 inches wide. The ABS model comes with OEM 185/65-14 tyres in 5.5 inches rim. Not sure of the OEM rim size of non ABS model with 175/70-14 tyres . If it is 5 inches, then you are correct . If alloys, there wont be any problem fitting 185s or 195s I hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Potenza GIIIs and MRF give better ride quality than XM1+? Have you checked your tyre pressure?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 23:45   #444
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 910
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

I have been quoted Rs.4350 per tyre for 185/65 R14 Michelin XM1+ in Tirunelveli. I need to change all 4 tyres and no bundled offers. Is this price about right? I was told the price is the same all over India. Tyre gurus please advice.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:36   #445
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 681
Thanked: 405 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

@ wildsdi5530, i had recd a quote of Rs.4275 per tyre for the same specification in Tyre Empire, White field, Bangalore. So i guess the price is more or less the same.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:52   #446
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 83
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Agree here, have same issue. with xm1+ you get to feel the bad road.
I feel the same in my FIGO after I changed to XM1+. I did not upsize and the tyre presssure is 32.

Contrary to what I had read and heard about XM1's I do not like the ride quality they offer.

And the make on them is Malaysia if I am not mistaken(I can check again and update). Are there Indian made Michelins available?
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 14:58   #447
BHPian
 
drchernish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kanpur
Posts: 418
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Since i am planning to change my car tyres to michelin how old tyres are acceptable(from manufacturing date) as they are not a fast moving item in my city.i think thats shelf life i am asking about.
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 15:05   #448
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,664 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Since i am planning to change my car tyres to michelin how old tyres are acceptable(from manufacturing date) as they are not a fast moving item in my city.i think thats shelf life i am asking about.
No more than 6 months.
In fact I just replaced my Wagon R's tires over the weeked with XM1+.
4 tires, fitting, alignment, balancing came to 12k.
All 4 tires had 4510 as manufactured week-year.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 16:02   #449
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Tough to find tyres more than 6 months old. The company didnt have any stock 2 months ago.

Based on what everyone is saying, it is time we checked the quality of the new XM1+. It is possible that XM1+ lost its edge after MIchelin hardened the tyres.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 22:26   #450
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 910
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Based on what everyone is saying, it is time we checked the quality of the new XM1+. It is possible that XM1+ lost its edge after MIchelin hardened the tyres.
What do you mean? Have they changed the compoundand all reviews are no longer valid? I was planning to change to Michelin, but this sure is bad news. Can tyre gurus confirm?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin XM1 or Potenza for WagonR?? ravi@64bhp Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 206 22nd August 2014 11:55
Changed to Michelin Energy XM1 from almost new Goodyear NCT-5 rishi_kapoor Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 17th November 2008 15:43
Grey Market Michelin XM1 Energy Jaskirat Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 21st August 2008 09:58
changed from MRF ZVTS to Michelin XM1 dkhatau Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 12th June 2008 12:58
Michelin energy xm1+ vs. Yokohama A.Drive...? rana_kirti Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 30th May 2008 20:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks