Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 13th November 2007, 17:13   #1
Default Puncture (tubed tyre) and tyre type/age

It's a wierd question. But, I would like to go ahead and ask it.

My previous car was with me for 5+ years and I did not have a single puncture. It ran on a set of stock tyres (tubed, non-radial). Now, my current car is with me for almost 18 months and I already had handful of punctures !

This makes me ask, what are the reasons for the tyre puncture (apart from the obvious one of a nail sitting straight and pokes you up).

Are some tyres more prone to punctures than others? Does age of the tyre has any influence on 'puncturing'?

rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 18:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

One other reason is that due to repeated punctures & shoddy repairs your tube could have deteriorated to such an extent that it will keep getting new punctures every now & then. Get a checkup done on the tubes asap.

As for the tyres, well when they're well worn they do develop a tendency to get punctured more often as there is less rubber to counter sharp objects like nails, screws etc.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 20:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

They used to put some chalk powder between the tube and tyres so that there is some lubrication while running. This was for heavy vehicles. Dunno if they do this for cars. Might reduce the friction between tyres and tubes - thus reducing possibility of punctures.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote