Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 18th July 2012, 10:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

I had Yokos on my Innova put on about a year and a half back, so pretty new. Just a week back, one of the rear tyres got a triangular metal chip that got it cut by about 3/4" right in the tread groove. There is no way this can be repaired properly but got it repaired to certain extent at a tyre shop nearby. What we did is, put a big patch from inside the tyre after cleaning and levelling the cut, the radial wires were protruding inside from the cut. But we managed to get it leveled properly. Also the cut from outside on the tread was filled up with mesh and adhesive to seal and level it properly. A tube had to be put in as it seemed no longer feasible to carry on as a tubeless on a daily run. So the tyre got converted to tubed one from tubeless.

But inspite of proper tyre pressure maintained in all tyres, and I have Nitro in them, there is still a wobbly feeling in the drive now. So it does not seem a long term solution but just a temporary one to be used for spare only. Seems I will have to get a new one for regular use now.

I still have to understand completely why exactly should it happen inspite of uniform pressure maintained. There is definitely some factor affecting the uniformity and affecting the drive. Seems if at all a tyre is to be converted, it may need to be evenly balanced by the opposite side tyre being treated the same way.

Had similar experience in my earlier set of tyres when one tyre was blown with cut on sidewall due to a sharp stone while on way back from Goa. It was again converted to tubed one and the experience was similar, wobbly on daily runs so it was reserved for spare only.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 10:16   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

As even the tread reinforcement wires were exposed I think it is unsafe to continue with the tyre in any form. Replace it asap.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 10:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quite agree. It seems indeed unsafe to carry on daily usage, shall just reserve it for spare henceforth.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:36   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Quite agree. It seems indeed unsafe to carry on daily usage, shall just reserve it for spare henceforth.
Better. I suggest you look around for a used tyre of the correct size, that will be safer.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 21:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
With a cut tire you will not be able to exceed a certain speed limit even if the cut is well managed, it is better to use it as the fifth tire.

If you need to have uniformity in the tyre management then you got to change at least two tyres so that the tread wear out is uniform.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 17:44   #81
BHPian

Default Indian Jugaadbaaji

I went to the puncture shop today to fix the first puncture in my tubeless tyres in 18 months.. It turned out to be a 3mm screw which had pierced half a inch into the tyre. The neighbouring puncturewallah happily fixed it and also gave me some free ka gyan which I am sharing with you.

As per him, if there is a big hole in the tubeless tyre which might renderer it useless, then the tyre should not be discarded or thrown away.

He told that he had fixed such cases by adding a new tube for Rs. 600 under the tubeless tyre. So, for all practical purposes, the seemingly useless tubeless tyre is converted to a regular tubed tyre and can serve the purpose till the treads are good enough.. He is credited for many such converts in our apartment. . Many of you would know it.. but I didnt...

This thread dedicated to all those super sharp Jugadu Desi Mechanics who would always find a workaround to make things work.
I am not sure of a similar thread on this forum which talks about jugaads.. So, inviting other tbhians to share similar other hacks..

Cheers,
JP
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 18:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Indian Jugaadbaaji

well this particular jugaad has been discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...less-tyre.html (Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!)

for more jugaad fixes, refer
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...echnology.html (Things that can be fixed by local Jugad (Indian Jugad Technology))

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th July 2012 at 18:30.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:44   #83
BHPian

Can a tube for tyre size 155/70R13 be used in 175/65R14? I have a tube from old car that I want to use in new in case of emergency. Is it a workable solution?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:31   #84
BHPian

Hi All,

I had a puncture on one of the tyres on the side wall. Currently, I am using my spare tyre. A couple of shops told me that a puncture on the side wall cannot be repaired.
However, today 1 tyre shop guy told me that it can be fixed be either of the following solutions:
1. Fix a tube in the tubeless tyre for 1100 rupees.
2. Put a patch in the tyre for 800 rupees.

Should I get the tyre fixed or buy a new tyre? I will be using it as a spare wheel but I am a bit concerned as to whether it will hold.
SwatiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:57   #85
BHPian

Avoid using a tube in a tubeless tyre.

I had got a tube fixed in my i10's tubeless tyre (due to a little sidewall damage) and was cruising down Faridabad-Gurgaon highway.

There was a puncture and "instant" deflation which caused loss of balance and damage to the rim due to complete loss of pressure.

Not only did I face a dangerous situation but also was forced to buy a new steel rim because the old one had de-shaped due to contact and the new tyre I got fixed on it was leaking pressure.
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 12:54   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

My Civic's rear left tubeless tire has suffered a couple of punctures at the same spot. Now, plugging them is not working. Tire goes flat in about 24 hours. I am planning to get a tube for the same as the rubber is good for at least 15 k kms otherwise. Plus, I do not want to mix brands (currently Pirelli). What do you guys suggest?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 16:49   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Put a new Bridgestone tube for Rs. 650/- inside the tire and moved it to stepney. Should be okay for an alternative when needed in emergency.
Had a very tough time hunting for the correct tube size 195/65R15. In the meanwhile I got a lot of gyan from tire Wallas (basically to fit whatever they had). It ranged from being offered tubes of Maruti 800(145/70R12 and 13) to Bolero(215/xx R15)!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 01:39   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Update: Put a new Bridgestone tube for Rs. 650/- inside the tire and moved it to stepney. Should be okay for an alternative when needed in emergency.
Had a very tough time hunting for the correct tube size 195/65R15. In the meanwhile I got a lot of gyan from tire Wallas (basically to fit whatever they had). It ranged from being offered tubes of Maruti 800(145/70R12 and 13) to Bolero(215/xx R15)!
You should have told me , as I had the required tube ready with my tyre shop; would have been a 10 min hasslefree job. That's precisely the reason I had asked you the tyre size over whatsapp.

Nevertheless, you did a smart choice of not accepting that "Gyaan". Tubes are interchangeable only for a limited sizes. For example, a tube which is meant for 145/70R12 can also be safely installed in 155/65R12 or 145/80R12. The compatible sizes are printed on the tube itself.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 27th June 2016 at 01:47.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 10:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Let us take a different view. If the tyre is sound then tube in a tubeless casing is irrelevant. If the carcass in damaged then do not think about using it!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 10:09   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite true! Tubes are compatible mostly one size up and down except for radius. And the compatible sizes are printed on the same.

I thought you must be busy with your 800 fixing the leakage issue hence did not bother you. I read on your thread that you will be attending to that this sunday.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote