Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 23rd January 2008, 04:32   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Correct Tyre Pressure For Upsized Tyres

I am really surprised to have not found a thread discussing this on Team-BHP...

Well, i want to begin this thread to gain knowlege on the correct tyre pressures after upsizing your tyres.

Q1. Does upsizing your tyre (Rubbers or Rims) make a difference to the tyre pressure?

Q2. If Yes, How?

Q3. If Yes, then what should be the new tyre pressure?

[Example - 165/80 R14 upsized to 205/55 R15]
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whatever your size of tyres if is generally recommended to stick to manufacturer specified pressures.

Oh and there are plenty of threads that discuss this. For eg.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-pressure.html (The right tyre pressure?)

You need to know where to look.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Air Pressure in tyres after upsize

Many of us upsize the tyres on our cars. Post the upsize, many people reduce the air pressure in the tyres. I use the same pressure as before. Which is correct ?

Pressure is (fairly) defined as perpendicular force exerted over a unit area. In case of air pressure in tyres, I will say that we could consider it something like total volume inside the tyre, vs total un-compressed volume of air filled in it. (Of course, the filled in air is now compressed) If this is (farily) correct, then, when we upsize a tyres, we should continue to maintain the same tyre.

From what I remember, for a car model, where the tyre sizes are different between two trim levels of the car, the recommended pressure is sometimes different. ( I have not compared this data across cars, hence dont have much information in this angle).

What say ? USe same pressure after upsize or change ? If change, then why ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:21   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Air Pressure in tyres after upsize

Here's a pdf link that might help you.
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:32   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Air Pressure in tyres after upsize

There are several threads on this specific subject on Team Bhp - the ones below are just two, there seem to be more:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...er-upsize.html (Correct Tyre pressure after upsize)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...zed-tyres.html (Correct Tyre Pressure For Upsized Tyres)

To put it simply, Michelin, manufacturer of arguably the best tyres in the world recommend sticking to the same tyre pressure after upsize and nobody probably knows tyres better than they do.

There are various schools of thought on this, most of which result in an analysis paralysis situation rather than actual benefits to users so it's best to stick to the guidance of someone who knows his onions.

Last edited by AMG Power : 2nd April 2018 at 10:42.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote