Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 6th February 2008, 12:00   #1

Default Frequent Punctures in Tubed Tyres

Hi Team,

I am having Indica - Xeta and run 28k kms in 14 months. Within this period, I had faced around 10 punctures and had to change two tubes. Initally, I was thinking that the punctures are due to Nails and stones on the Roads. But of late, I was told that for new set of tyres, this many punctures are ubnormal and could be some manufacturing defect in tyres. I am also surprised to note that people have run morethan my kms without having any punctures.

As far my observation goes, punctures occur more frequently during Long drive and mostly during at speeds morethan 100 Kph though at correct air pressures in all wheels. These punctures occur frequently in front wheels both left and right and less frequent in rear wheels. But all four wheels are tend to get puncture.

The roads specifically where I get puncture are all well maintained National High ways (Chennai - Bangalore). In fact, I did not face any punctures on bad roads (may be because of low speeds). I am thinking to aproach Tata Dealer or Tyre Manufacturer (Apollo) to claim Warranty or Tyres Replacement.

Please give inputs to proceed further.

Thanks,

Murugan B S
muruganbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 12:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude check out your tires. Its the problem with them and not the road or nails etc etc. Mostly your tires have some problem on the inside. The best way to find out is to take out the tube and fill it up. If there is a uneven shape on the tube when its filled up then there is some problem with the tire. One way of preventing it is to add some layers of rubber around such areas and also get your wheels balanced after that.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 13:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

There can be three causes for this problem:

1. Worn out tyres, but with only 28k kms, that option can be ruled out.

2. Cut Sidewalls - Due to some major pot hole impact or a sidewall impact with a sharp object there could be a cut/tear in the tyres which could be leading to the tube getting pinched & getting punctured frequently.

3. And this is the most likely one, your tubes have developed multiple punctures all or some of which might have not been repaired properly so they develop leaks every now & then & lead to punctures.

Now to remedy your problem, here is what I suggest you do:

1. Go to a good, reputed tyre shop in your area & have him inspect all four tyres & tubes thoroughly while individually inflating each tube & doing the water test on them & also inspecting the tyres from the insides & the sidewalls. If any tubes have more than 2 or 3 punctures, I would suggest replacing it with a new tube of "good quality". Please avoid using local tubes as most of these are of suspect quality.

2. If possible, replace your tyres with Tubeless ones at the earliest, even though it is a sizeable expense but the resulting convenience is going to be worth it.

3. You can try for warranty replacement from Apollo/TATA but I don't think they are going to entertain a claim for frequent punctures as that is something attributed to the road conditions you drive in & thus might not be treated as a manufacturing defect.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 13:51   #4
BHPian

can you also let us know which brand of tyres you have. i have heard more complaints from JK tyre owners.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 14:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
can you also let us know which brand of tyres you have. i have heard more complaints from JK tyre owners.
Deep - He's mentioned clearly in his post that they are Apollo's.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pls change your tyres immediately, High Speed drivng in those tyres can be fatal...You can claim warranty whatever but change immediately....Go to tubeless...

Quote:
He has already told he has Apollo...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

this may not be a tyre defect ,but the frequency of puntures can be given the benifit of doubt to the tyres.i hope the tyre walla by this time would have checked the inside walls of the tyre as you might have told him of the frequency of punctures etc.did he tell you any thing in this regard.have you replaced the tubes with a branded one,if so which one.did you get it from a tyre dealer or spares shop.i feel the tubes are the culprit.check them out.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 14:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well side wall wear is the culprit and you can do temporary fixes to it like i mentioned in my post above. Had this problem in my friends indica when we were on a long drive and ended up putting patches of rubber into the tyre where the tube touches the worn out side walls. Drivability of the car reduces as the balancing goes for a six. So you GOT to get the wheels balanced to do decent speeds. This can run till you decide on changing your tires and that you can refer to any of the threads out here or approach our tire waalas(@Iraghava)
Old 6th February 2008, 14:29   #9

Default Frequent Punctures in Tubed Tyres

Quote:
the tyres are made by Apollo.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:41   #10

Since puncture occurs at Highways, I used to fix it at different areas. Even when I raised this issue, they said they don't see any issues with tyres.

The replaced tubes are from MRF and got it from MRF dealer
Old 6th February 2008, 14:47   #11

Well, I do wheel balancing once in 5000 kms, typically during regualr services.

But, because of some unavoidable pot holes during the drive, the rims have got dent.(during service, they were not able to set right to the original position). Can this also be the reason for punctures?
Old 6th February 2008, 17:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well dude just get your tires checked once na you will find out the problem. Keep little time for that though. Else if you got cash you can buy new tires.
Old 6th February 2008, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Try this out. Ask someone in your family to put 4 lime under each tyre but they are not supposed to tell you this. Now without knowing this, take your car out and see. Some people may call it superstitious but I have tried it myself and it indeed worked. :-))
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 18:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

1. What is the number of the tyres - are they meant for driving above 100 KMPH? This is indicated by an alphabet at end of the tyre's model - something like 155[SIZE=-1]/60R14A (I made up this number) - What do have in place of "A"? See the side walls of your tyres.
2. Does this happen on all tyres? Or just a specific tyre? Or a tyres on a specific side (Like for example front left hand side)?
[/SIZE]3. What is the pressure you maintain?
4. Always replace tubes when they puncture for the 2nd time. Get butyl (artificial rubber) tubes. (I am not sure if natural rubber tubes are available at all now).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 18:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Try this out. Ask someone in your family to put 4 lime under each tyre but they are not supposed to tell you this. Now without knowing this, take your car out and see. Some people may call it superstitious but I have tried it myself and it indeed worked. :-))
this post belongs to another popular thread in shifting gears.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote