Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 08:46   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,005
Thanked: 3,127 Times
Default

I changed from stock to 185 nct5. That was a major change in the comfort level, as well as handling. But that was also because the stock mrfs were about near end of life.
Then, recently, I switched to continental Eco sports, 185-65, but was planning on going with nct5 only. These cost about 3k more than the other set, but it is such a huge cumulative difference. Handling wise, the nct are quicker in corners, but the major chunk of "betterness" is in cabin noise, and comfort. Give these a look see too.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 14:29   #242
BHPian
 
ishotmydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 594
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
For some reason Ford is a little anal about the tyre sizes. Very very particular.
Exactly. So if one gets a upsize that will void the warranty for sure?

I initially thought that it was the dealer acting funny but i guess it is Ford which is quite stringent.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:00   #243
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,105
Thanked: 18,289 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Exactly. So if one gets a upsize that will void the warranty for sure?

I initially thought that it was the dealer acting funny but i guess it is Ford which is quite stringent.
If you change to any size from 175/65-14, Ford will not cover warranty on power steering, suspension or brake issues. Have had a discussion with them and have seen the guys argue with another customer. They do not even allow after market alloy wheels even if it is same size as OE.

If you want to stay within warranty go for same size with better tyres. These will also make a difference. Those ZVK's are so hard and noisy that any better quality tyre will make a difference even in same size. The tyres do absolutely nothing in absorbing bad roads.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:31   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,281
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you change to any size from 175/65-14, Ford will not cover warranty on power steering, suspension or brake issues.
After taking delivery of new car in July 2011, went straight to the showroom for tyre upgrade. Got the OE tyres replaced to 195/60/R14. Even I too was under this dilemma of warranty claims, but moved ahead with that decision.

Power steering rack went kaput @30000 kms.....right & left suspension issues at 30000 & 45000 kms respectively. I was lucky not even an question was asked both the times. All parts got covered under warranty. Faced one more suspension related issue at 55000 kms which they didn't honored because of kms coverage (crossed 50k kms)

So it depends on the service stations too (mine is MPL Ford, Chennai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Has anyone faced any challenges with a 195/60/14 upsize on the Fiesta (now Classic)?
I ran this spec for around 50000 kms without any trouble (BSGIII)....then moved to 195/55/R15 (Y 's' drives). Bit of ride quality problem, but got used to it. With Fiesta's Tdci, guessing 185 would be a better option than 195. So next set of tyres might be 185/55/R15.

BTW, Are there any other models to be considered along with S drives? Also will there be a considerable compromise in terms of braking distance between 195 & 185 width?

Last edited by Surprise : 3rd March 2013 at 20:57.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 17:28   #245
BHPian
 
ishotmydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 594
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you change to any size from 175/65-14, Ford will not cover warranty on power steering, suspension or brake issues. Have had a discussion with them and have seen the guys argue with another customer. They do not even allow after market alloy wheels even if it is same size as OE.

If you want to stay within warranty go for same size with better tyres. These will also make a difference. Those ZVK's are so hard and noisy that any better quality tyre will make a difference even in same size. The tyres do absolutely nothing in absorbing bad roads.
Thanks mate. Will keep this in mind. Those ZVK's are quite sad. Will wait for about 25k kms and then change them to either XMS2 or A drives. Like you said will stick with my stock size till my car is in warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
After taking delivery of new car in July 2011, went straight to the showroom for tyre upgrade. Got the OE tyres replaced to 195/60/R14. Even I too was under this dilemma of warranty claims, but moved ahead with that decision.

Power steering rack went kaput @30000 kms.....right & left suspension issues at 30000 & 45000 kms respectively. I was lucky not even an question was asked both the times. All parts got covered under warranty. Faced one more suspension related issue at 55000 kms which they didn't honored because of kms coverage (crossed 50k kms)

So it depends on the service stations too (mine is MPL Ford, Chennai)
You are fortunate my man. I have seen quite a few arguments happening at the dealership here in Pune (Planet Ford on Satara Road) with regard to the warranty not being honored because of a tire up size.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 18:34   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,198
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I ran this spec for around 50000 kms without any trouble (BSGIII)....then moved to 195/55/R15 (Y 's' drives). Bit of ride quality problem, but got used to it. With Fiesta's Tdci, guessing 185 would be a better option than 195. So next set of tyres might be 185/55/R15.
Good luck with finding 185/55R15 in the market - I tried, and couldn't find that size. If you do find them, please reserve a set of 5 for me too?
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 22:16   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,155
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I upsized to 185/65/14 Michelin XM2s on the very day of purchase of my Figo. I had some kind of bearing noise in one of my rear wheels when the odo was was 5000 kms.

I was a wee bit apprehensive, but the A.S.S. did not ask any questions and replaced the bearing free of cost.

As someone said, it depends on the service center. Mody Ford in Hyd always had positive vibes in all my dealings with them.

Edit: I'm sorry I made this post in a Fiesta thread. Anyways, the Figo is a derivative of the Fiesta, so I hope it is ok.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th March 2013 at 22:17.
vnabhi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 22:06   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,281
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Good luck with finding 185/55R15 in the market - I tried, and couldn't find that size. If you do find them, please reserve a set of 5 for me too?
Yes, you're right. Iam not able to find this available in almost any of the tyre shop or brands.

In my current set of S drives (195/55/R15) there is a bit of uneven wear in one tyre which was moved to rear. I wanted to get rid of that tyre asap.

Also wanted to check out how quicker 185 profiles are compared to 195...so is it okay to have 185 profile tyres at front and 195 at rear???

185/55/R15 (Front wheels)
195/55/R15 (Rear wheels)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 23:14   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,155
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys

I'm re-posting my query again as my Fiesta is coming up for a tyre change in a couple of months, when the stock MRFs will hit 40 K kms and cross 6 years in age. I plan to go for Michelin Energy XM2s as I'm quite happy with those on my Figo.

I have a choice of the below:-
  1. Stock 175/65/14s
  2. 185/65/14s that have a diameter variance of 2.1 % and a speed variance of 2.18 % (too fast)
  3. 185/60/14s that have a diameter variance of -0.94 % and a speed variance of 0.95 % (too slow)
  4. 195/60/14s that have a diameter variance of 1.11 % and a speed variance of 1.10 % (too fast)
I'd opted for item 2 on my Figo and have been very happy with the slightly increased G.C., despite the 2% odo and FE error. But as my Fiesta is a petrol one, FE decrease could be a cause of concern, though not major.

But I was curious if option 3 or 4 could be better. And would option 4 work on my stock Ford alloys? Would there be any scraping of the wheel well when the steering is in full lock? Any updates would be of immense help.


Thanks.

Last edited by vnabhi : 22nd April 2013 at 23:17.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:47   #250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 148 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
4. 195/60/14s that have a diameter variance of 1.11 % and a speed variance of 1.10 % (too fast)

But I was curious if option 3 or 4 could be better. And would option 4 work on my stock Ford alloys? Would there be any scraping of the wheel well when the steering is in full lock? Any updates would be of immense help.


Thanks.
Deat vnabhi,

I have same dimension with Yokohama A drive on Ford stock alloys (2010 SXI petrol). No issue whatsoever. No scrapping with full lock.

Crossed over 24K in 3 years. In city ride I found loss of 0.5 km mileage with A/C. On highway I am getting anywhere between 15kmpl to 17kmpl (depending on ride speed 120+ to 70+).
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:47   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,155
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks @RaguHolla. Do you know if option 4 tyres are more expensive than option 2 or 3? And do you have a picture of your car with 195/60 profile tyres?

I am inclined towards Michelins, but would need to check if all profiles are available with them.

And do you have a picture of your car with those profile tyres

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd April 2013 at 12:48.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 18:10   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,155
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Looks like all Fiesta owners are busy, as none responded.

Meantime I drove down to Ashoka Wheels today and asked him if I should go for 195/60/14 tyres, instead of 185/65s that I'd gone for on my Figo. He said I'd get a far better grip on the road if I did that. But he said those profile tyres were much more expensive as those were rarely in demand. He said each tyre could cost upwards of Rs 5500, which is more than Rs 800 when compared to the 185s or 175s.

This being the case, I'd rather settle for 185s as I'd done for the Figo. I also got my current MRFs inspected, as my car has done 38800 on the odo today. The front left was good for another 5000 kms (it was stepney for first 15 K kms), while the other 3 needed replacement soon.

So I'm waiting to hit 40 K for a four-tyre change. But sometimes I feel like doing it sooner, as it is unlikely that I'll hold the car for 6 more years ( my car is now 6 years old), so changing sooner would mean immediate enjoyment.

But won't the scorching heat be hard on the new tyres, in which case should I defer till end of May? Your suggestions will help me sort out my confusion.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 19:04   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,005
Thanked: 3,127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Looks like all Fiesta owners are busy, as none responded.

Meantime I drove down to Ashoka Wheels today and asked him if I should go for 195/60/14 tyres, instead of 185/65s that I'd gone for on my Figo. He said I'd get a far better grip on the road if I did that. But he said those profile tyres were much more expensive as those were rarely in demand. He said each tyre could cost upwards of Rs 5500, which is more than Rs 800 when compared to the 185s or 175s.

---------------------------------

But won't the scorching heat be hard on the new tyres, in which case should I defer till end of May? Your suggestions will help me sort out my confusion.
I've been running 185/65 on mine, and they've been without any issues. But if there's no scraping involved, you can go for your 195s. And it's just a difference of 4-5 k, so you can decide if it's worth your own peace, I suppose.


About the heat, don't worry about it. No weather can match the heat the rubbers are at within 30 minutes of driving.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 19:10   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,155
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I've been running 185/65 on mine, and they've been without any issues. But if there's no scraping involved, you can go for your 195s. And it's just a difference of 4-5 k, so you can decide if it's worth your own peace, I suppose.


About the heat, don't worry about it. No weather can match the heat the rubbers are at within 30 minutes of driving.
That was quick. Thanks!

I think I'll settle for 185s soon, as I see it is pointless waiting for the magic 40 K mark. As such, the old tyres will not fetch me anything while changing, be it now or after a month or two.

This apart, I guess the suspension will be more at ease with a new set of tires.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 20:56   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,005
Thanked: 3,127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

That was quick. Thanks!

I think I'll settle for 185s soon, as I see it is pointless waiting for the magic 40 K mark. As such, the old tyres will not fetch me anything while changing, be it now or after a month or two.

This apart, I guess the suspension will be more at ease with a new set of tires.
MRFs, yeah?
Just my suggestion, go for conti eco 3. The ride will be something of a revelation coming from the factory boots.
And whatever you do, don't get tempted by NCTs. (Just relating from own experience.)
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread arunphilip Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 127 24th May 2017 08:28
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dish Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 204 18th May 2017 14:29
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread breakneck Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 512 9th May 2017 08:55
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 8th May 2017 09:17
Ford Ikon : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread dkhatau Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 28 22nd February 2016 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks