Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 13th February 2008, 14:31   #1
BHPian

Default ET / Offset value on Safari rims

Hi all,
I have a question to any of you that have alloy wheel on Safari.
I've been visiting this interesting website: Alloy Wheels,Car Alloy Wheels,Automotive Alloy Wheels,Chrome Alloy Wheels India and I notice that there is a really wide variety of alloy wheels for Safari on both size 15" and 16". All of that are indicated to be ET 0. Any of you can confirm this?
In italy we have almoust nobody producing something similar...
What are the prices of those rims?

Thanks for looking...

Ciao

Ignazio
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 14:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats ET value?

Aura 16 inch cost 22K ; think for 4 piece.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 14:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ignazio

you seem to be slightly mistaken here.The Alloys that i'm using in my safari are having the ET == 15

and i doubt any suitable rims in 16" with width ranging from 6.5j to 7J can have ET value == 0

they should have ET/offset value in range of 14-18

complete details of my alloys are as follows
PCD: 139.7-160
ET: 15-25
Hub Dia: 93.15-110.8
BH: 4,5,6
Color: Full Face Machined

hope that helps.

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 14th March 2008 at 14:20.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 22:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Whats ET value?
More commonly known to us as Offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
All of that are indicated to be ET 0. Any of you can confirm this?
Hi Ignazio,

You are wise not to trust that website!!
1. Even if those alloys are 0mm offset, there is no guarantee that they are anywhere near the suggested / stock offset of the Safari for that size.

2. Its quite possible that data wasnt available, so the site shows "0".

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001
ET: 15-25
I can understand how your alloys are multi-pcd and multi-bolt holes, but multi-offset ?? j/k

Im guessing you copied this from the brochure/site for that style? Any idea about your alloys offset specifically? and how close is it to the suggested offset?

Ignazio, you could always email a TATA service center / dealer to get the answer. However, there are still no guarantees that they will know what you are talking about or that they will give you the correct answer. (I had tried the same with Fiat a long time ago).

If you feel like a little project, (the correct way to do it would be to unmount the tyre, but you can adjust your calculations accordingly if you have the tyre still on the rim). I have done it this way and it is fairly accurate:

- Take your stock rim an put it on a flat tabletop, with it half off the table, front face of the wheel facing skyward.
- Take a scale/ruler and stick it inside the wheel from below, and measure the distance from the table top to the mounting face inside the wheel in mm.
- That is your offset (+/- a few mm in error -- which is tolerable, since atleast now you have the correct range.)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2008 at 22:33.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 16:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Im guessing you copied this from the brochure/site for that style?
absolutely right Rehaan.

the main problem Ignazio had was regarding a 0 offset on a 16" safari rim.

thats something not logical.

so just to get him an idea of the range it should be i copied some data for him.

regarding the exact offset/ET value lets wait if our in house Tyre/Rim experts i.e. KP and Ishaan can throw some light

in the meanwhile lemme also try
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 21:02   #6
BHPian

Hi all,
I think I need to explain a bit,

I do not need to know the exact ET value of my rims, I know it already
I have already rims with ET0 (zero), steel, just want to understand if aftermarket alloys that you can have in India are real ET0. Original rims are positive offset, rims with ET0 been centered wheel, allows you to have a wider car footprint wich helps if you are going offroad with high GC.
Nice anyway that we start this discussion!!!

Ciao ciaocheers:

Ignazio
Old 15th March 2008, 22:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ignazio.
Just out of curiosity, Can u please post some pics of ET0 rims...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 22:17   #8
BHPian

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ignazio.
Just out of curiosity, Can u please post some pics of ET0 rims...
Here it is a picture of one of the steel rim with ET0 ...
Ciao!cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
ET / Offset value on Safari rims-dscn0096.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2008, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Ideal Offset value for Safari Alloy wheels

Hi ,

I have booked my Tata Safari 2.2 Lx and will get in a day or two. I am planning to put in alloy wheels , I searched through all the threads on Safari RIM sizes etc. Most of the alloys are available in 7.5 inch rim width.

The RIM dealer ( Sproket Koramangla Blore ) told me that they need to cut metal to fit in 7.5 width even if it is with stock tyres.
As per the research on the net I feel that metal cutting may not be required if the rim has +ve offset. Dealer had no idea about the offset part.

So I have following questions for the veterans here.

1. Is there any 16 inch RIM heaving 7 Inch or 6.5 inch width available ( apart from Aura) ?
2. Does any one have experience on 7.5 inch wide RIM with out cutting metal ( ofcourse with Stock Tyres) , What should be the offset of the RIM ?
3. Is fitting Stock Brigestone Dullers HT tubeless on 7.5 inch wide RIM advisable ?

As most of the Safari fans might be knowing now Safari Lx comes with Tubeless Tyres though the salesperson insist that Lx comes with tube tyres

Any recommendations on the knowledgeable dealers in Bangalore who do not insist on cutting the metal but know the product they are selling well.

Regards
Amit
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
... The RIM dealer ( Sproket Koramangla Blore ) told me that they need to cut metal to fit in 7.5 width even if it is with stock tyres.
1. Is there any 16 inch RIM heaving 7 Inch or 6.5 inch width available (apart from Aura) ?
2. Does any one have experience on 7.5 inch wide RIM with out cutting metal ( ofcourse with Stock Tyres) , What should be the offset of the RIM ?
3. Is fitting Stock Brigestone Dullers HT tubeless on 7.5 inch wide RIM advisable ?
The issue is whether the rim width is small enough to hold the tyre inside edge on pressurization - larger the width, more the problem. Cutting metal would increase the problem.

Probably he was referring to modification of the Tailgate mounting to accommodate the positive offset of the alloys. That bracket is designed for steel rims.

Though a bit difficult to find, 6.5J or 7J alloys are available - you just have to keep asking around. Most shopkeepers assume that if you are changing rims you will change tyres also, hence they stock only the popular designs even if those are unsuitable for stock tyres. Try JC Road / Lalbagh Road - some of those guys ask around in their network to get you what you want, so that they can make a sale.

Sprocket, though convenient, is generally a costly source, and their knowledge is generally suspect, be it alloys or ICE. Last choice, and only if you know everything there is to know about what you want to buy.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 20:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The RIM dealer ( Sproket Koramangla Blore ) told me that they need to cut metal to fit in 7.5 width even if it is with stock tyres.
As per the research on the net I feel that metal cutting may not be required if the rim has +ve offset.
It is not really METAL cutting, but you will have to make some cuts on the plastics and perhaps the inner part of your wheelwell to accomodate 7.5.

I'm running 7 and I had to make some alterations, but none of them were major - 15 minute job.

7.5, in my opinion, is an overkill. my 7 inchers protrude out from my wheelwell just about tolerably (though I have a higher offset on account of a deep-ish dish).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 15:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

What is the TATA OEM safari Alloy?
Is it 6.5J 16" or 7J 16"?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 17:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> What is the TATA OEM safari Alloy?
> Is it 6.5J 16" or 7J 16"?[/quote]

TATA Motors - Safari DICOR